Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Farrow Rifle (Read 6792 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Farrow Rifle
Dec 22nd, 2020 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I was not expecting to add anything else this year after an already expensive year but this rifle came up and there are too few examples for me to have turned it away.

Farrow Single-Shot rifle -- no serial number; 30" octagonal barrel; .32-30 Remington caliber; excellent bore. The rifle's action is nickel-plated brass (maybe bronze). The front sight is a windage adjustable sight and the rear sight is a Winchester vernier tang sight whose base was curved to match the upper tang.

This rifle is shown and described in Richard Chamberlain's article, W. Milton Farrow and his Rifles, in the 1962 Gun Digest.

If anyone knows the timeline of ownership, please share.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Farrow Rifle
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Wonderful! I'm wondering about the rifling profile.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Ditto on the rifling... Joe make sure there isn't a number stamped on the front face of the action, you may have looked already... Embarrassed
Greg

Cool rifle too!

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Wow! What a beautiful piece of history. Merry CHristmas, indeed!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Neato! Is there room for a firing pin in that block or is it built into the hammer?

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I don't know how some guys do it but I can never get a good photo of the bore. Here is a view from the muzzle that will give you an idea.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Joe,
That's what I wanted to see.  I read somewhere that Farrow in his later years determined that the number of grooves and lands made little difference in a barrels performance, I'm guessing this is a later model.  The Farrow stamp on the barrel is something too, maybe someone will chime in here and shed light on the particular stamp?  I've attached a picture or two of the bore on number 100, the serial number stamping and the barrel stamp.  Little bit of a contrast as Farrow went along.
Again thanks for sharing, that rifle is very intriguing.   
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
My guess is that is a very early if not the first one. reasons #1 brass or bronze frame. is some thing easier to prototype than having a steel frame cast, #2 standard barrel riffling, before he had his own riffling machine in his shop, #3 standard rear sight, and #4 bag type stock which is different than almost all the others long or short frame mostly had a S type pistol grip. #5 the barrel marking is just over the top, he was proud of his new rifle. just my opinion.
     Anyway great to see good pictures of it. thanks Joe.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I have a copy of a letterhead stamping of Farrow from Brattalboro, Vt.  It looks just like the last part of the barrel stamping.  Might be a coincidence, but maybe not.  Don't know where I got it.   
Bruce

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Rodney,
I believe you are correct, what you are saying makes perfect sense and Farrow probably went the way somebody else I know is going Roll Eyes - at least on the barrels.  Until one tries it himself, other's opinions only matter slightly...  The action, sight, stock and stamp, it also stands to reason that if it is one of his first, a number? why? dreams are there but how many more to follow. know anyone else like that? Wink  Bruce, now that you mention the stamp, I think I've seen that on some correspondence somewhere.
Thanks all.

IP Logged

25cal
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Joe-Got curious about the Gun Digest connection and looked through the auction catalog of John Ambers collection that was auctioned off in November of 1986. Lo and behold on pages 108 and 109 a Farrow matching yours was listed. If interested PM me your email and I'll can scan you some pictures. Steve

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Thank you guys. I was thinking the same as Rodney mostly because of the non-steel frame and no serial number.

The barrel marking with the " >>>-F-----[o]->" matches the letterhead from Brattleboro where the earliest production began (I think).
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2020 at 9:57am by Joe Do... »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing, nice rifle and bit of history. Really like the look of the Farrow’s.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I agree that the rifle is a very early Farrow.  I just happened to have the 1962 Gun Digest in my Farrow file.  It is the same rifle shown on pages 152 & 153.  My guess is that it is the prototype, made in Springfield, Mass., using Bullard machinery and demonstrated (IIRC) in Springfield, Mass, in April, 1885 or maybe a bit earlier.  The demonstration is reported in an early issue of The Rifle.  Farrow had the logo and the name of his company worked out before he went to Brattleboro, VT.  The rifle went with Farrow to Brattleboro.

Rarity?  That's like having the prototype hen's tooth.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
A thought about the barrel on this rifle:

On p,140 of G. Scott Jamieson's "Bullard Firearms", we are told that the interior dimensions of the barrel of a rifle fitted to a small-frame Bullard repeater chambered for the .32-40-150 Bullard cartridge were:

Twist: 1 turn in 16 inches.   
6 grooves, depth of groove = 0.004", width of groove =0.080", 
Bore diameter = 0.306", Groove diameter = 0.311"

Farrow was an employee of Bullard for the entire calendar year 1884.  IN November 1884, Bullard was in serious financial trouble and laid off most of their employees.   

Think this non-Farrow barrel was from Bullard's barrel inventory?  I'm not implying that Farrow stole it.  My suggestion is that he bought it, rented shop space from Bullard, and helped keep key Bullard staff working by paying them to teach him to be a machinist and to make the prototype.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint