Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tale of a Pope Ballard (Read 4605 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Tale of a Pope Ballard
Dec 7th, 2020 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Back in 2017 we had an adventure on the way to the Colorado Gun Collectors show. Normally a long 19 hr. drive; it snowed on the way, and they closed I-80 just as we came up on Rawlings, Wy. An 8 hr. detour took us north to Casper, Wy., and found our way around. But too late for Thursday setup! 
Next morning we set up quickly, and then began a quick look around the show to see what bargains might be left. Over the next 1 1/2 days I found two nice Ballard rifles, and a couple nice Rolling Blocks to buy. I was feeling pretty happy with my purchases, but pretty empty wallet too! Mid day Saturday a friend showed up, and asked if I wanted to walk the show with him? I was broke, so happy to walk along, and left my table to my buddy to watch. We strolled 2 aisles and in the middle of the 2nd aisle I spotted a Ballard schuetzen rifle! No idea how I walked past it at least 4 or 5 times before, but there it was. I grabbed the hang tag and saw, "HM Pope Ballard" and the other side read 3 different calibers? ".32-40, .28 Pope, .22WCF" I was confused.
I got the seller's attention, and asked why it had 3 calibers marked, and he pointed to two barrels on his table, and said, "It's a 3 barrel set." !!!
So I ask to look it over, and I see a strange takedown knurled collar on the gun in the rack. The other two barrels have odd shanks with threaded collars too! Now I'm very interested, and also very broke. But I had sold a old Whitney revolver for a friend, and had his $2300 in my pocket to borrow if needed. And a little traveling money, if the two kitties could buy it? I ask the price, and the seller tells me a price I can do, and adds that he likes antique guns if I have any to trade? I tell him I'll be right back, and hand the Pope to my buddy Mike, and tell him to keep a tight grip on it.
Back to my table to grab a Ballard Pacific in .45-70 I have for sale. A bit overpriced, but I'm willing to come down if the seller thinks it's too high. I hand him my Pacific, and he takes a casual glance and says we've got a deal! Then he looks at my price tag and tells me he can't give me anything to boot! But he says he's got some things I might want with the Pope Ballard, and pulls out a fitted case from under his table! Then he reaches down again, and pulls out a cigar box also! 

cont.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2020 at 7:48pm by marlinguy »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Re: Tale of a Pope Ballard
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I open the case first to see a gorgeous old Winchester scope. There's a small envelope also, and in it is the extractor for the .22WCF barrel. I open the cigar box, and the first thing I see is a Pope lube pump. Then a couple old Winchester loading tools in .22WCF and .32-40, a false muzzle starter for the .28 Pope barrel, a re-decapper, and some wad punches. 
I'm shocked, and speechless. Not sure where this is going, and amazed he was going to sell the rifle and not include these pieces? Then he says, I hope this makes us even?" Of course I tell him we're more than even, and I'm very happy if he is! We shake hands and it's done deal. But before I leave I ask if anyone else had looked at this set? He said he brought it for a friend of a friend who was interested, but passed on it. Then a few others looked at it, but passed also! I'm shocked that at a very low asking price nobody bought it.
So here's what I got, before I continue with this tale.

We go back to my table to look closer, as the seller had pointed out the case had a metal name tag on it that read, "LG Pridy Denver, Co." He added, "Might see if he's somebody famous?"
So Mike Googles the name, and instantly comes up with LG Pridy being a member of the Denver Rifle Club's world record setting team in 1919. The team scored a total of 9956 points out of a possible perfect 10,000 score! And their record is shown in Arms and the Man in Remington ads stating they used Remington UMC ammo to make their record setting scores!
That was a quick find of provenance, so we look through other monthly reports in Arms and the Man and find LG Pridy listed as the top shooter on the Denver team in more months than not. And when he's not the top shooter, he's 2nd.
The next day I'm still admiring my new find, when I remember the Pope two volume set just came out at the show, so I go see a friend who's selling them. He lets me look for my set in the books, and it's there, but no pictures. A very good description of the gun, 3 barrels, and cased set, but no image. I buy the books and back to my table again. 

cont.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I'm busy for a couple hours looking through the books when I get to the appendix and see a 3 page patent application, with drawings. The drawings and patent are for my gun's takedown system! It was applied for by HM Pope, in 1888. 

Now I recalled seeing one more of these once when Terry Buffum had one he sold at Amoskeag, and I foolishly passed it up also. So there's at least one more with the Pope takedown system on it somewhere, but it's a single barreled Ballard.

Here's the working part of the Pope takedown system:

The receiver adapter, and barrel adapter use different thread count, so as the collar is tightened it pulls the barrel into position, locking the tapered shank. Then as the collar is unscrewed it breaks the tapered shank loose, and withdraws it from the receiver. Pure genius in it's design!

I went back to the seller to ask if he could tell me who he got the set from? He said it was an estate, and everything was given to the man's church, and his pastor had sold the set to him. We exchanged cards with the promise if he saw him again he'd ask about any brass, tools, or other provenance; and would email or call me if he found anything.
A couple weeks after the show I got a email from the seller. He said he'd contacted the pastor, and he had two binders of load dats for the 3 barrels, plus some brass for the .28 Pope Special based on .25-35 brass, plus some .22WCF brass. We agreed on a price, and a week later I got the information, along with a name for the owner.
The owner for the previous 4 decades plus was Walter Stier. A Cal Poly Engineering employee, and in with his records was a list of a fair number of other very interesting guns! All had sold at the estate sale, prior to this gun being purchased.
Among the brass, and data was this box of bullets:

cont.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Some of this is over the top things I'd never track or document, and obviously something an engineer did while playing with load data. But fun to see how far he took his load work up.
Getting the info from the Pope books, which tracked 5 owners of this set over the years, and mentioning it was sold to a buyer in California in the 70's, where it disappeared, never to be seen again! So with the information in Walter Stier's paperwork, it appears he's the Ca. buyer, and it was with him all the missing decades.

A little more searching discovered some information on the gun's original owner LG Pridy. Leonard George Pridy was a barber by trade in Denver's largest hotel at one time before WWI. He then opened up his own shop in an addition to his home, and continued to work there through the 1930's. But in the late 30's he contracted consumption (TB) and was put in a clinic in Denver. In 1940 he died from complications from his illness.
This is the set in a display rack. The barrel on the Ballard is the .28 Pope, the barrel and forearm above are the .32-40 in the middle, and .22WCF at the top.

I've got a Stevens-Pope Ballard, and another Hartford Pope Ballard. Both neat guns, but this one is my favorite.

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
My oath, what a great story. The stars truly aligned for you.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Terrific story. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Someday I'm going to find a Union Hill #9 in 38/55 to grow old with.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Yes, I've had more than one friend tell me this set was just destined to be mine, or it would have been sold many times before I saw it.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 8th, 2020 at 10:43am:
Yes, I've had more than one friend tell me this set was just destined to be mine, or it would have been sold many times before I saw it.

Some times we're not 100 % in charge of all the funny turns in our lives.  I remember looking for Priddy on Ancestry.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Dec 10th, 2020 at 12:32pm:
marlinguy wrote on Dec 8th, 2020 at 10:43am:

Some times we're not 100 % in charge of all the funny turns in our lives.  I remember looking for Priddy on Ancestry.

Yes, and thanks for the info. But it is Pridy, with one "d" not two. Leonard George Pridy.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Wow! What another great story, just a great read. Marlinguy, I think you should put all your story's into a  fireside reader with pictures, I would certainly buy it. Congrats on your find, it was definitely meant to be yours, especially after driving through all the snow!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Just buying a neat gun is only part of the story. When all the stars align, and it falls in your lap, you know it was meant to be.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Interesting mechanics. Currently used on high precision positioning devices. Wondered where it came from.
An acquaintance applied for a patent using it to position a knife blade to cut through film without scratching the surface underneath. Don't know if it was granted.
Believe cartridge outside neck turners use a similar device to position the cutter.
The Old Man was a fine engineer in addition to his other skills.
Chuck

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Forward to John Merz - this would be a prime Journal feature with photos, etc.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I can't even imagine how his thought process came up with this method of engaging or breaking this tapered shank in and out of the receiver fitting. But it does so without the use of any tools. It does have a hole in the knurled collar, and came with a spanner wrench for that. But I've never used the spanner, and see no reason to need it? Maybe it was just a precaution to ensure accuracy by having the ability to tighten it more than hand tight?

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I agree with RayH. This story needs to be in the Journal. Plus some of the other rifles that have "stories" behind them. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint