Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rolling Block Sporter .22 rimfire (Read 2984 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Rolling Block Sporter .22 rimfire
Nov 28th, 2020 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Here's another old single shot rifle with some local provenance. And a story I enjoy, just because it's a local gun, but I had to drive 10 1/2 hrs. to buy it.
Myself and a few friends used to go to the Big Reno Gun Show a couple times a year. It was a fun trip with friends, and the gun show used to be pretty decent too. The show was set up with two rooms, and the new stuff, black rifles, and misc. crap was pushed to one end of the room.
So whenever I went there I made sure I looked through the whole show at least twice before I wasted any time even walking through that end with nothing good. So sometime during the 2nd day I'm walking through all sorts of ammunition, and black rifles, when I caught something in a gun rack that didn't match the military rifles alongside it. The octagon barrel caught my eye, so I went back to look at it. I saw this Remington #1 Sporting Rifle in .22 rimfire. But it was in very sad shape, and really not worth saving. But being a Sporting Rifle it would make a good receiver to build with, if the price was cheap. 
A look at the hang tag showed it wasn't badly priced, but I hoped to get it down cheaper. A little negotiation, and the seller told me he hadn't sold anything, and would accept my offer. 
The gun was in sad shape with extra holes in the barrel and top tang. And someone for whatever crazy reason had cut a front dovetail out to about 7/8 wide! Roughly done, and then to make things even worse another 3/8" dovetail was cut down in the bottom of that first huge dovetail!
The top of the barrel had a couple D&T holes, and the top tang had 5 different holes for various tang sights. Only one pair was in the factory spacing.
The stocks had missing wood on the forearm, and in the wrist of the buttstock. The wood is checkered, but in a heavy pattern, not like Remingtons used. The forearm was nicely shaped, and had an ebony insert V in the tip. A nice looking stock once, but not anymore.
I was thinking about what I'd make from the action as I chatted with the seller, and saw his business card on the table. His address was Oregon City, Oregon. I chuckled and told him I lived about 12 miles from him, and we laughed about going so far to do a gun deal.
I got the gun home, and a few days later decided to strip it down to it's bare receiver, and toss the rest in my junk piles. The .22 bore was actually very nice, and I figured maybe I'd leave it on the gun when I did something with the action and wood.
Cont.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Re: Rolling Block Sporter .22 rimfire
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I put the barreled action in my barrel vise, and was getting ready to put my action wrench on it when I noticed a name stamped into the bottom side of the barrel, under the forearm. Grabbed my glasses, and read, "E. C. HACKETT" on the barrel.
So I got sidetracked, and stopped to Google the name on the internet. Up pops a fair amount of info on an Oregon pioneer named E C Hackett! So I dug around the internet for a couple hours, and found enough to make me put off taking the gun apart for now.
The next day I contacted the Oregon City Historical Society, and was connected with the woman in charge of archives. I told her what I'd found, and asked if I could come out and get some documentation on E C Hackett? She was excited, and happy to help, so I met her the next day, and brought the Rolling Block to show her.
She told me she had a lot of information on E C Hackett because he was so prominent in early Oregon Territory history. I asked if I could get whatever she had, and she smiled and told me she had over 2500 pages on E C Hackett! So she sat me down at a computer, and I spent several hours choosing pages I wanted to print out, plus some pictures also.
E C Hackett was born near Oregon City in 1852. His parents came to the area in the early 1840's, and his father John Hackett was quite famous locally also. He lead the posse that tracked down the Indians who killed Marcus Whitman and his wife; the first missionaries to settle here in Oregon!
EC was one of the first deputy Sheriffs, and later became mayor of Oregon City during WWI. After the War he became county recorder, and held that job until his death at 87 yrs. old! An avid hunter, and breeder of hunting dogs, a lot of his write ups discussed his love of hunting. But an even greater number discussed his active political life!

With the provenance, I decided not to restore the gun. I made repairs to the stocks without refinishing the rest the wood. I milled out the ugly dovetail, and made a tight filler that I peened in. Then cut a new correct dovetail. It had one factory sling swivel eye broken, so I tig welded that and reshaped it. I added sights to the gun, and left it at that point.
Here's the end project. No before pics.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
E C Hackett's home still stands at the end of the Oregon Trail! The marker for the end sits in his front yard, and the house has been restored and put on the Nation Historical Registry in 1980.

Erwin Charles Hackett was a colorful and notable figure in early Oregon history, and I'm glad the guy who owned this rifle was into black guns, so he never discovered who this Rolling Block belonged to!

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Val:
Nothing wrong with that. You did the right thing. Always a good thing when you can save history.
Flatander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Flatlander wrote on Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:27pm:
Val:
Nothing wrong with that. You did the right thing. Always a good thing when you can save history.
Flatander

Thanks. I hate seeing a gun restored fully if it can be saved. If not for the provenance this one would have been borderline to save though. After I was done I was glad I discovered the provenance as it really was decent enough to save.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Great find. Knowing the history of these rifles makes the hobby twice as interesting (or more) as just shooting them. If they could only talk!

A

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Yes, having a gun that has some history related to it is one of my favorite things. Wish I knew more of this gun's story after EC passed in the 1930's. Always wondered how it got away from his son at some point?

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Val, Fantastic find and I applaud you for your care to preserve historical finds such as this example.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
What a great find and an even better back story. Luckily it found it's way to you so you could research it and curate it. Very grateful you shared the story with all of us here. Thank you and three cheers!!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Have a couple others I've searched history on, and will post later. One is an OT Marlin 1881, so not sure if I should post it or not?

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I love to hear the specific history of most any old gun.
Wish they all could talk
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Post it.
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 10:45am
Print Post  
ballardhepburnmich wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 11:16pm:
Post it.
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

Thanks Lee!

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Nice restoration.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 10:45am
Print Post  
powderman wrote on Dec 7th, 2020 at 8:42pm:
Nice restoration.

Regards,
Powderman

Thanks. This is what I refer to as a sympathetic restoration. Just enough done to fix the boogers, but not so much as to appear anything was done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint