Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bagging a moose. (Read 2697 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Bagging a moose.
Nov 8th, 2020 at 1:32am
Print Post  
I much prefer to hunt with a Mauser or Springfield bolt rifle.  Did have occasion to stop in Colorado once to shoot a moose with my Ballard 25-20SS. Had some BP experimental ammo with me. It was on a trip home from a match at Grand Junction.  We were driving along on the interstate when Chuck blurted out, hey what is that out there? Is that a horse? I said heck no man, that's a moose! Well there he was out there standing knee deep in a pond.  We parked near a gate along the interstate and off we went to bag us a moose. I spied him close with the binoculars. He was out there a long way.  Told Chuck, if we can sneak up to about two hundred yards we can get that moose. My rifle was sighted for that distance at the match.  I told Chuck I don't think this little pop gun is gonna kill that moose. Probably just piss him off.  So I told Chuck how a friend of mine killed moose with a BB gun in Alaska. Chuck agreed so we had a plan. We started stalking that moose, a slow steady stalk using every bush and rock to our advantage.  Finally Chuck said two hundred right here.  As luck would have it that moose was facing away from us. I layed down and rested the Ballard on my rolled up shooting mat. Had a twenty power Lyman Super Target Spot on the rifle. When I laid the cross hairs on those moose n-ts, everything was crystal clear.  Wind was blowing right to left so I held over what I thought was just right and let one fly. I couldn't miss. It's amazing how much BP smoke that little shell makes. A full case of FFF under a 111 grain Pope style bullet. Well, it seemed as though time slowed down the instant the powder lit. Chuck told me he could see that bullet make a big arc toward that trophy moose.  We heard a loud whap! and as planned he had his head down in the water.  At just that instant he humped up and tried to suck air and drounded himself,  wobbled and fell over with a huge splash. Kicked three times and it was over, we had our moose. It was a great day, one I'll never forget. That was the only time I ever hunted with a single shot. Memories, I get a little misty.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2020 at 7:00pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A memorable moose hunt
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 9:02am
Print Post  
I was completely fascinated by the adventure and then thought, wait a minute, didn't Wes bag a Boone and Crockett prairie dog along that same stretch of road and this was actually the second hunting trip with the 25? I have seen some nice looking elk come out of the Grand Junction area. Maybe if it's slick out, you get in another oyster shot and get one to slip and bump its head? Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Nov 8th, 2020 at 9:02am:
I was completely fascinated by the adventure and then thought, wait a minute, didn't Wes bag a Boone and Crockett prairie dog along that same stretch of road and this was actually the second hunting trip with the 25? I have seen some nice looking elk come out of the Grand Junction area. Maybe if it's slick out, you get in another oyster shot and get one to slip and bump its head? Smiley

What? Think I'd tell you a story?  Come on man! 

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Nevada moose are taken that way quite often. But, with .32 Ideal or similar. Our moose have tough n--s.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I've heard that it won't work in California 'cause they've all been gelded.

IP Logged

rtp
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 9:39am
Print Post  
That was one of Chinese moose...po-ching.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 10:46am
Print Post  
"po-ching", almost spit coffee out!  Grin

IP Logged

Ted T
Participating Member

Re: Bagging a moose.
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2020 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
That is a true story. Wes Turner just verified it to me today.
Ted

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Re: Bagging a moose.
Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
There's a moral to the story, Ted. "There's always more than one way to bag a moose."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint