Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drilling for a barrel liner ? (Read 9459 times)
cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Drilling for a barrel liner ?
Oct 1st, 2020 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Hi Guys;
So, I have a 38-55 barrel or should I say sewer pipe ?
26" Octagon on a 1906 vintage Winchester.
.835 across the flats at the breech, .690 across flats at the muzzle.
Looking at TJ's, their price list shows the OD of a 38-55 liner as 39/64 or .609". Doing the math, this would only leave .040" or less, each side at the flats on the muzzle end, ~.110" at the breech is a bit more comfortable.
I have done one .22 liner and it worked great but I had a lot more meat left over after drilling.
This is giving me some heart burn, any one done such a thing ?
Comments ?

IP Logged

Packet

Re: Drilling for a barrel liner ?
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Im sure you would like to keep the original barrel on that Winchester but you do have an option. Numrich Gun Parts has a 38-55 barrel with those same specifications and made by Winchester for $156.00. I know cause I just ordered one for my latest project.

IP Logged

Maverick

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Give Mike a call, He may be able to make one with a 17/32 dia.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Well, thanks for that - would have been perfect but "shipment outside USA prohibited" and I'm in Canada.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
And TJ's won't ship to Canada either. Undecided
Huh; and I just ordered 2 X .22 liners from Brownell's - no problem but their supplier (Redman) doesn't make a 38-55 barrel.
Any one know of a Canadian supplier ?

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Back to the original question, I guess it might work if done in a lathe and the hole started from the muzzle (with an end mill) - would at least get it started on center.
Now to find a liner - or another barrel. Undecided

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Might want to check with Ron Smith up in Canada he should be able to help you out with either a new liner or a new barrel replacement. Unfortunately I do not have his contact information but there are those here who do.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:22pm:
Might want to check with Ron Smith up in Canada he should be able to help you out with either a new liner or a new barrel replacement. Unfortunately I do not have his contact information but there are those here who do.

Yeah, talked with Ron this morning, he's doing .22 liners only, and as for barrels says he can't keep up with the work he has.
Besides that, I'd like to keep the factory Winchester markings I have on the outside of the original if at all possible.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2020 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
You can get liner piloted drills from Pacific tool and gauge. Also Mike Hunter at Hunter Restorations can mark new barrels with the original stile marking.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that John !

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 10:37am
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Oct 4th, 2020 at 2:01pm:
You can get liner piloted drills from Pacific tool and gauge. Also Mike Hunter at Hunter Restorations can mark new barrels with the original stile marking.

I wish one the piloted drills was available in long form, 18" minimum and even 34" would be good. This, for those of us not set up to Silver solder the connection.  I am interested in doing a few barrel lining projects but I am not able to make the drill.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
CW;
Maybe a local machine shop or a friend with a lathe could assemble the extension for you. Silver soldering isn't that hard, clean real good, proper flux and a MAP gas torch is all I use. Drilling the end of the extension rod (centered) is the more difficult part if you don't have a lathe.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
cuslog wrote on Oct 5th, 2020 at 5:48pm:
CW;
Maybe a local machine shop or a friend with a lathe could assemble the extension for you. Silver soldering isn't that hard, clean real good, proper flux and a MAP gas torch is all I use. Drilling the end of the extension rod (centered) is the more difficult part if you don't have a lathe.

Good silver gives the best results!  I use a mini oxy-act for these these drills - frustration runs high twisting a drill loose about 1/2 way - only thing worse is doing it in the bottom of a deep hole.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
The drills I have received from Pacific are threaded for an extension rod. I use one rod for several size drills. Also the drills have interchangeable pilots for different bore sizes.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

AJ

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I have done just one barrel reline so I am far from being an expert, but I had success using red Loctite to attach both a drill and a reamer to an extension rod.  Neither failed, and it was a lot easier than soldering the joint.  I drilled a hole in the shank of the drill and turned down the rod about .002” smaller, applied red Loctite, and let it sit overnight.  The bore was drilled slightly undersized then followed up with a properly sized reamer attached to an extension rod in the same manner.  As a side note, i didn’t buy a piloted drill, but turned down a regular twist drill to form a pilot with a lathe tool post grinder.  If you are lucky you can pick up a used tool post grinder for not much more than the price on a factory piloted drill!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint