Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drilling for a barrel liner ? (Read 9462 times)
John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Drilling for a barrel liner ?
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 9:10am
Print Post  
AJ wrote on Oct 6th, 2020 at 12:06am:
I have done just one barrel reline so I am far from being an expert, but I had success using red Loctite to attach both a drill and a reamer to an extension rod.  Neither failed, and it was a lot easier than soldering the joint.  I drilled a hole in the shank of the drill and turned down the rod about .002” smaller, applied red Loctite, and let it sit overnight.  The bore was drilled slightly undersized then followed up with a properly sized reamer attached to an extension rod in the same manner.  As a side note, i didn’t buy a piloted drill, but turned down a regular twist drill to form a pilot with a lathe tool post grinder.  If you are lucky you can pick up a used tool post grinder for not much more than the price on a factory piloted drill!

This is the way I got started but I used silver solder for the drill extension. I set up the reamers so cutting oil could be pumped through and an automatic stop on the lathe so I didn't have to stand there and watch it.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 9:53am
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:13pm:
The drills I have received from Pacific are threaded for an extension rod. I use one rod for several size drills. Also the drills have interchangeable pilots for different bore sizes.

I have silver soldered them in the past, also ground down drill tips to form a pilot. But looking at the PT&G drill with interchangeable pilots prompted me to order one - should be a nice tool to have.
But their shipping charge - holy moly - $44.00 to ship a drill bit seems over the top to me.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 11:04am
Print Post  
This has been a great set of posts. Thanks for all who share your wisdom. I think I see my way to getting started.

Yes, WOW!  $44 to cross the border is a bit much. I have not looked at the costs - is the extra cost profit on the part PT&G? Or are they just charging their cost?
I am sorry they (someone) are gouging you!

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Forgot to add:  threaded end to attach to extension rod is a great bonus too and inter-changeable pilots make it a valuable tool - useable for some other calibers too.
As for the freight charges, I'm not sure what's with that. I do know that there's some extra paper work needed to ship to Canada. Maybe a standard "paper work upcharge"?. Maybe if I had ordered a couple other small items, the freight may be the same and spread out over multiple items ? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt any way.  Wink

IP Logged

AJ

Re: Drilling for a barrel liner
Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I didn’t want my earlier post about grinding a pilot drill to get too long, so I omitted the details regarding grinding for a pilot.  I actually turned the pitot section of the drill undersized, then turned a pilot to slip over that section.  The pilot was also secured with Loctite.  The main reason for doing this was to give a little extra room to resharpen the drill.  I didn’t try for a real tight fit of the pilot to the Bore since I was drilling out a sewer pipe bore.  Anyway, the setup, drilling and then reaming to final diameter worked perfectly.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I don’t remember the relative dimensions, but I had Bienke&Bienke put a thick .25 caliber liner in a shot-out .30-30 Savage 99 barrel and chamber it to .25-35.  There couldn’t have been much more than a shell of that slim barrel left past the chamber end when it was drilled out.  The drill had cut through the bottom of the front sight slot, and I had to file the rounded liner surface flat again to get the front sight reinstalled.  The gun shoots great, so it obviously was not a problem.

I drill and tap the shanks of liner drills 1/4”x 20 TPI so I can screw in extensions of various lengths as the hole goes deeper.  My lathe doesn’t have the center distance to handle a single long extension from the beginning.  Also, I don’t like the sag from an extension, even with a pilot; I’d rather start the hole with the drill itself and have the whole thing fully supported in the hole before adding to the end.

I got a flat fixed at my tire store yesterday.  I asked the manager how much, and he said, “Just give the kid who did the job what you think is fair.  If I charge you, I’ll have to do a ton of paperwork, which means I’ll have to charge you $35.”

I slipped the kid a sawski and he seemed happy.  Bureaucracies are sucking us dry like vampires.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Bent_ramrod;
Thanks for your response - I hadn't thought of the interference with the sight dovetail - I'm sure mine will be very similar, with only .040 of meat left at the muzzle, there probably won't be more than .050 at the front sight dovetail. 
Good to hear that someone has already done something similar, my initial reaction to the math was  Shocked but it must work  Smiley
Given that its a 38-55 and I'll probably always just shoot cast lead bullets in it, should be fine.
Don't know that I'd want to see that with a 300 Win mag and maxed out loads.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2020 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I found it works best to install a sight plug in the dovetail and drill through it. This helps to keep from damaging the barrel from chips getting caught and also keep oil from coming out if you use pumped oil through the reamer. Make sure it is a tight fit or it could shift when the drill hits it. After the liner is installed I use  dovetail cutter to cut the dovetail through the liner.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2020 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks again John - you've obviously "been there, done that" more than once !

IP Logged

AJ

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2020 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Sort of off topic, but Bent Ramrod mentioned how thin the liner must be on a liner chambered for 25-35.  It it reminded me that 50 caliber machine gun barrels have a short satellite liner that goes from the cartridge shoulder and about 9” into the bore, and a sort of chamber insert.  See the link below:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
AJ wrote on Oct 8th, 2020 at 3:01pm:
Sort of off topic, but Bent Ramrod mentioned how thin the liner must be on a liner chambered for 25-35.  It it reminded me that 50 caliber machine gun barrels have a short satellite liner that goes from the cartridge shoulder and about 9” into the bore, and a sort of chamber insert.  See the link below:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

We found out that the Stellite in military barrels does not help accuracy. I was working for a shop that was building 50 BMG single shot bolt action rifles. Also machine gun ammo was loaded with bullets that had the core off center to get the "cone of fire". They wanted the bullets to scatter out sort of like a shotgun effect. We ended up having barrels custom made. Most were 45" long with a 1 in 15" twist. We built one with a 60" barrel that was 3" in diameter and the action was the same diameter. This gun weighed 165 and the recoil was about the same as a 22 LR.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint