Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My attempts at pp are improving (Read 1242 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

My attempts at pp are improving
Jul 25th, 2020 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I have been working with a 40-70 SS Hepburn for several months and now that the rifle range has re-opened I am getting to shoot more.  I decided just as the pandemic hit to start casting again after many years away from shooting mostly muzzleloaders and with the help of many on this forum came up with a gg and pp bullet design and had Accurate Moulds make me some single cavity moulds.  Using Roto-metal 20-1 and a RCBS pot I have learned how to cast fairly decent bullets and my reject rate has dropped considerably.  Jerry Cleave built me a beautiful breech seating tool for the Hepburn and I am now starting to put the pieces together.  The rifle has an aperture front sight and an MVA Soulle rear with a Hadley eye disc.  My poor old eyes play hell at 100 yards but I can see everything sharp at 50 so most of my shooting has been at the closer range.  I am still learning the sight adjustments as I have mostly shot for groups but am now starting to dabble shooting for score even though I am at 50 yards.  I am now even more impressed with all of you that shoot great scores as that adds quite a bit of challenge over just a small group somewhere on the target.  Pictured are 2 groups I shot yesterday with 21 grains of IMR 4227 and a 340 grain gg bullet and a 330 gr pp bullet.  I did not change the sight settings for the pp group as I did not want to chase my sight settings and open up the group.  The load of 21 grains was just a grab out of the air with no prior testing.  For the first time I am starting to see results with my paper patched bullet that are comparable to the greaser.  Now that I know the pp bullet will shoot I am going to concentrate on some smokeless fixed loads to see if I can get a hunting load.  The rifle has a 4 pound trigger and is perfect for hunting.  As they used to say on Mr T, "I love it when a plan comes together".  Stay safe and hopefully upwind of the other shooters on the line!   Grin  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My attempts at pp are improving
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Very nice Tom and just to clarify were you breech seating at the time. I ask as you also mentioned the seater that Jerry Cleave has made for you.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly is just getting started with his 40-70SS Shiloh with a 14" twist. His latest outing with 69gr of 1.5F Swiss and a 440gr Brook's Creedmoor bullet gave 1 - 1.5 MOA, so the round has potential. We plan to shoot an 800/900/1000yd Schuetzen match with it 7/8 August. Just kidding about it being a Schuetzen. But, the cartridge/rifle are showing potential and should be fun. Like you, we would both be better off shooting a scope, but we are going to give it a go with irons. Hopefully, we'll keep the 'diggers' to a minimum.

Any number of discussions on paper-patch loading/shooting on the Shiloh Rifles forum, though they are with BP. PP is starting to make an impact in BPCR & BPTR competition.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
John, I was breech seating for both groups.  Jerry's tool is a work of art and it sure shrank my groups with the grease groove bullet and fixed loads.  I have used Swiss 1.5 and 3f but the light charge of IMR 4227 is sure more pleasant to shoot off of the bench!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint