Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic inorganic viscosity modifiers for bullet lube (Read 1913 times)
rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

inorganic viscosity modifiers for bullet lube
Jul 11th, 2020 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
     Some years ago, I made some bullet lube from castor oil and "Cab-O-Sil", a colloidal silica.   Interesting looking stuff, as it was crystal clear and didn't offer to melt.  By varying the Cab-O-Sil content, it was easy to change the "stiffness" of the lube.   It didn't seem to offer any improvement over conventional lubes, so didn't pursue it for long.   
     I recently came into possession of some bentonite, which is a finely divided clay used in lubricating greases, and wonder if it might find some use in bullet lubes.
     Possible advantages are that one can vary the consistency of lubes over a wide range, and formulate lubes that don't melt off the bullets if you leave them in the sun.
      Has anyone experimented with additives of this kind?

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: inorganic viscosity modifiers for bullet lube
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Used a lot of cab-o-sil to thicken epoxy in laying up benchrest stocks, my only concern would be abrasion. I would think it would take a lot of exposure to cause much harm. Microcrystaline waxes have a relatively high melting point, 160 degrees F +-. I have some to try, but haven't got around to experimenting yet.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:42pm:
Used a lot of cab-o-sil to thicken epoxy in laying up benchrest stocks, my only concern would be abrasion. I would think it would take a lot of exposure to cause much harm. Microcrystaline waxes have a relatively high melting point, 160 degrees F +-. I have some to try, but haven't got around to experimenting yet.

Touch a little of it to your tongue and see if you can detect any roughness when you move your teeth together.  The Cab-O-Sil particles are way down in nanometer sizes, too small to be abrasive.
     I think, but am not sure, that the so-called "microcrystalline" waxes are branchy polyethylene-type materials.   Not the sort of thing I like to put in bullet lubes.   They have the low vapor pressure that is required to keep them in place for preserving various surfaces, which is were they find much of their use.

CHRIS

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 12:27am
Print Post  
It sounds as if you are way ahead of me on the curve here. That said, I understood that a microcristaline wax was used to replicate the old Javelina lube by adding it to Alox 350 the replacement for Alox 2138 which was discontinued. Javelina lube was and is favored by many as I am sure you know. My intent was to see if I could, as close as possible, duplicate the old Javelina. It is my understanding that now Alox 350 is no longer available. That puts me back to square one, hence putting the project on the back burner. I have always used and had good results with Darr lube, but on really hot days it will melt. An ice chest was always the solution, but just one more thing to deal with. I use bees wax rather than paraffin which helps, but thought I would do some experimenting with other additives just to see what happens. I would like to use other easily sourced ingredients. I am all ears!!   

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 7:43am
Print Post  
      If your aim is just to increase the melting point, a good way to do that is to incorporate some soap.    I have used lithium stearate with good success in smokeless lubes, and others report that sodium soaps can be used.   Has to get pretty hot to dissolve, however.   It makes quite sticky lube, which I believe (but can't prove) is good for smokeless lube.
      My opinion, again based on no proof, is that BP lubes should be "slick" while smokeless lubes should be "sticky".   The soap-base lubes are sticky-- you can put your finger in a box of bullets and come out with several stuck to your finger!
CHRIS

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks rgchristensen, I will give it a shot, so to speak.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Chris out of all of the various lubes Charles Dell came up with is there one of those that you would consider to be your favorite. Reason I ask is some of those ingredients that you mentioned he also used in his lubes.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:23pm:
Chris out of all of the various lubes Charles Dell came up with is there one of those that you would consider to be your favorite. Reason I ask is some of those ingredients that you mentioned he also used in his lubes.

JOHN:
      Charlie and I collaborated quite a bit on bullet lubes.   I taught him some of the chemistry, but he was the one that did the development and testing of them.   My favorite smokeless lube is his recipe that uses lanolin,  beeswax, castor oil, and lithium stearate.   It's described in his book, which is something that every schuetzen shooter should own.
CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Chris,
Do you ever use carnauba wax as a hardener/temp raiser?  When I was working with "Frog Guano" i used to add a few % (up to 5%, IIRC) to my mix to give it some hardness while letting it still stick to the bullets well since I was using a significant amount of anhydrous lanolin.  Another function of the carnauba was that it seemed to "condition" the bore and make it slicker... after all carnauba is a component of car waxes.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint