Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic C. Sharps 40-65 reloading ? (Read 2082 times)
Dick Dick

C. Sharps 40-65 reloading ?
Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Hey everybody, I'm in the process of buying a new C. Sharps 40-65 Win. I have a couple of questions? On reloading about 95% of the dies I use are RCBS, they list two sets, 40-65 Shiloh and 40-65 Winchester Cowboy. I believe I need to purchase the 40-65 Shiloh? I plan to call RCBS and C. Sharps but I thought someone on this site may have some experience with this. I would also appreciate any "pet" loads any of the member have come up with? I'm planning on Starline brass and Bear Creek lead bullets over smokeless powder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to any respondents.  Cool

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: C. Sharps 40-65 reloading ?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Fodr sure, ask C Sharps about Their 40-65 chambering
and suggested dies
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 11:39am
Print Post  
If you are shooting smokless, back the die out to just size the neck or get a neck sizer, c sharps chambers run a little large so ,I can't  imagine  you need the rcbs Shiloh die set.
21 grains of buffalo rifle powder with a 400 grain bullet will get you started,  lovex makes the powder, or 5744 .

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Don't shy away from black powder.  The rifle is just as easy or easier to clean, just the cases are a pain but ceramic media in a tumbler works good.  When using black powder the only die I use is a powder compression one and finger seat the bullets in unsized brass.  I deprime with a Lyman 310 tool with the large universal decapper.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:50am
Print Post  
The Shiloh version of the RCBS .40-65 dies were made because the Shiloh chamber is pretty tight around the web.  Those dies size this area down a little smaller than their standard dies.   Every C. Sharps rifle I've ever owned has had been a little oversized in this area so I expect that any old .40-65 dies would work.  The Shiloh version would definitely work though.

Chris.

IP Logged

Dick Dick

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for the valuable input! After talking with the owner of Bear Creek Bullets, I will be shooting .410 dia. bullets and the general consensus is C. Sharps chambers are on the larger size. So I'm probably going to use the RCBS Cowboy 40-65 dies. Unless I can get hold of one of the more knowledgeable techs at RCBS and they recommend something different! I searched their website and didn't see a neck sizing die. A call to them is next on my list. I really appreciate every bodies help and the couple of suggested loads!  Grin

IP Logged

ww

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I neck size my 40 caliber brass (40-65 to 40-90 bottle-neck) with a carbide 41 magnum die. I made an adapter from all-thread and coupled together with the Lee  quick coupler. It gets the carbide up high enough to bottom out the stroke and adjust the length of the sized area.
WW[

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Lyman makes a very nice 40 cal neck sizing die
if you need to do that for smokeless loads.
YOu should then use a lyman or other brand expanding die to bring the diameter up to give only a thou or two of neck tension. 
Otherwise, for BP, I just clean and re-expand the cases
with a two step M type die (to .411/.413) to ensure they are round and very slightly bell the mouth to help ease finger seating the bullets,
but not so far that case mouth is too tight in the chamber.
beltfed/arnie
followed by loading and then finger seating the bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint