Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 5744 (Read 10334 times)
craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 5744
Reply #45 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 5:55pm:
....I did state the brass will withstand low pressure loads in itself....

....Once ruptured the gases will destroy the action at normal pressures, gases, not pressure destroyed the action.

I think I'll just respectfully disagree. I did have a couple of new thoughts based on your comments. 

I my experience, any cartridge, high or low pressure, will not develop anywhere near its rated pressure if it is not contained in a chamber and most need some barrel length. It will basically only create enough pressure to release the bullet from the neck of the brass and the powder rarely burns efficiently, just as low pressure loads can leave unburned kernals in a barrel, only more exaggerated. 

Back to the Swedish Mauser example in the castboolits link. I think it is apparent that the fractured metal of the action is bright, unaffected by environment or temperature. It does not appear gas cut. As I pointed out a bit ago, the front ring of the action failed, but clearly gases did not cut through the barrel shank that was in the front action ring and even the remaining brass case in the chamber does not appear gas cut in the direction of the receiver ring failure.

When people comment about ringing a barrel, there was no gas rupture that destroyed that barrel. It is forever damaged, but not ruptured?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. And, I'll edit to quickly add that I see other visual note worthy signs in that Swedish Mauser example that I have been referring to.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:18pm:
"  I was under the impression that those low number '03 actions were very hard, not meaning strong, that's why they failed by cracking? I believe signs of brittleness can be seen in some of the blow up pictures, but that's just my opinion. "

The below might help to point out what it was I was trying to say.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks for the link John, take a look at the fourth paragraph down. It even mentions their observation of the bolt losing its purchase and moving rearward?

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:35pm:
Premod70 wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 5:55pm:
....I did state the brass will withstand low pressure loads in itself....

....Once ruptured the gases will destroy the action at normal pressures, gases, not pressure destroyed the action.

I think I'll just respectfully disagree. I did have a couple of new thoughts based on your comments. 

I my experience, any cartridge, high or low pressure, will not develop anywhere near its rated pressure if it is not contained in a chamber and most need some barrel length. It will basically only create enough pressure to release the bullet from the neck of the brass and the powder rarely burns efficiently, just as low pressure loads can leave unburned kernals in a barrel, only more exaggerated. 

Back to the Swedish Mauser example in the castboolits link. I think it is apparent that the fractured metal of the action is bright, unaffected by environment or temperature. It does not appear gas cut. As I pointed out a bit ago, the front ring of the action failed, but clearly gases did not cut through the barrel shank that was in the front action ring and even the remaining brass case in the chamber does not appear gas cut in the direction of the receiver ring failure.

When people comment about ringing a barrel, there was no gas rupture that destroyed that barrel. It is forever damaged, but not ruptured?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. And, I'll edit to quickly add that I see other visual note worthy signs in that Swedish Mauser example that I have been referring to.

Sorry, I can’t find the link to the Swedish Mauser. My comments are directed to the 03 Springfield.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 10:08am
Print Post  
5744 CANNOT BE COMPRESSEDeither. There is a sharp increase in the pressure spike as case capacity fills, 80% is the recommendation, I believe, or something like that? mh

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 11:14am
Print Post  
moodyholler wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 10:08am:
5744 CANNOT BE COMPRESSEDeither. There is a sharp increase in the pressure spike as case capacity fills, 80% is the recommendation, I believe, or something like that? mh

Depends on the cartridge. It's a pretty versatile powder and shows up in things like the Hornet cartridges as well as the big bore stuff.

Probably best example is 300 Blackout. Bullet weight from 125-250 grains, pressures from the high 20's to mid 50's all compressed loads, some as high as 120%. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint