Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 5744 (Read 10332 times)
craigster
Oldtimer

Re: 5744
Reply #30 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 7:38pm:
Ugh.   More bandwidth wasted speculating on S.E.E. myth.  Which has been reproduced in a lab, and it turns out to be an event requiring high aspect ratio jacketed bullets and a slow powder that's hard to light.  Which 5744 isn't.  

Either the badly heat treated action finally let go, or more likely he overcharged that round.   

My .05 worth and I'm sticking to it. 

Do you have/is there a link to the lab reproduction ?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
This is the only one I have bookmarked:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Scroll down to post #10

<div class=

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 6:17pm:
JS47 wrote on Jul 20th, 2020 at 10:56pm:
I've had good success with 5744 in 45-70. Iron sight accuracy of course and if it shoots good I don't worry about the unburned powder. It works very well and burns clean in my newly acquired #5 Rolling Block in 7x57 with 175 gr. cast loads.

JS

A banned shooter shattered one of M Petrov's Low Number 1903 Springfields in .30-06 using a similar but slightly hotter load and cast bullets.  He posted a pic of his face after the shot.  Shooting glasses saved his eyes.  Search on the Single Barrel forum.  

I'd use the stuff, but only in a straight case, and maybe only in a High Wall or a Hepburn.

I read the report and deduced the shooter was reloading with light loads that induced headspace but at the pressure he was getting the brass’s strength was enough to contain the gases. Later the shooter decided to up the pressures using the same brass and when fired the brass failed due to excessive headspace. The shooter knew nothing about how a primer can cause headspace problems on rimless cases loads with low pressure loads. The powder had nothing to do with the rifle’s failure.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Good deduction.  Entirely possible IMHO.

<div class=

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Waterman wrote:
A banned shooter shattered one of M Petrov's Low Number 1903 Springfields in .30-06 using a similar but slightly hotter load and cast bullets.  He posted a pic of his face after the shot.  Shooting glasses saved his eyes.  Search on the Single Barrel forum.  

I'd use the stuff, but only in a straight case, and maybe only in a High Wall or a Hepburn.
[/quote]

When you say a "banned shooter", can you be more clear, like banned from reloading? banned from the range he was at? banned from these pages?
I am just trying to get and idea of how this figures in to the overload.
Thank you.

I like the powder but it is position sensitive and that needs to be addressed to get best accuracy. 

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:48pm:
....shooter shattered one of M Petrov's Low Number 1903 Springfields in .30-06....

I read the report and deduced the shooter was reloading with light loads that induced headspace but at the pressure he was getting the brass’s strength was enough to contain the gases. Later the shooter decided to up the pressures using the same brass and when fired the brass failed due to excessive headspace. The shooter knew nothing about how a primer can cause headspace problems on rimless cases loads with low pressure loads. The powder had nothing to do with the rifle’s failure.

Wouldn't brass failure just vent gases, how does that cause a receiver ring to shatter?

I always wonder about gun parts that shatter and don't bend first, that doesn't seem like what low or medium carbon steel would do? Maybe, there is something to those receivers not being quite right. In the time since that account came out, maybe an inadvertent over powder wad effect created a pressure spike that pushed that receiver over the edge? 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Craigd to me it sounds like something caused a detonation to have taken place. The earlier actions made were known to be soft but the explanation of what the rifle looked like after it blew up reminds me of one I have seen and a double charge of unique took it apart. Almost sounds like he mistakingly thought he was using the correct powder and actually picked up the wrong can. I have also heard of this being done and taking a rifle apart. Also a bit hard to believe it had anything to do with excessive headspace the shoulder would have had to been pushed back. Sounds like the owner was very familiar with the proper case sizing process. The die setting I guess could have accidentally been changed if the locking collar was loose when he was screwing it in. But dies also typically touch the shell holder for the correct full length sizing depth and the proper shoulder setback / headspace.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2020 at 3:20pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:48pm:
Craigd to me it sounds like something caused a detonation to have taken place. The earlier actions made were known to be soft....

I was under the impression that those low number '03 actions were very hard, not meaning strong, that's why they failed by cracking? I believe signs of brittleness can be seen in some of the blow up pictures, but that's just my opinion.

My comment about the over powder wad problem seems to apply to this to this powder? For instance, the Quigley shoot 5744 ban was reversed as long as the loads did not use an over powder wad. What seems to be going on is an obstruction effect creates the pressure spike, not a powder detonation concern with the use of this particular powder? 

The castboolits thread that was linked mentions a possible 'stutter' in the bullet movement due to pressure starting too low, not a detonation created spike? It seems to describe pressure building behind the momentarily stalled bullet and reacting like an obstruction? 

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
*sigh*   Smokeless powder cannot detonate.  Wrong chemistry.

<div class=

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #39 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:02pm:
Premod70 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:48pm:
....shooter shattered one of M Petrov's Low Number 1903 Springfields in .30-06....

Wouldn't brass failure just vent gases, how does that cause a receiver ring to shatter?

I always wonder about gun parts that shatter and don't bend first, that doesn't seem like what low or medium carbon steel would do? Maybe, there is something to those receivers not being quite right. In the time since that account came out, maybe an inadvertent over powder wad effect created a pressure spike that pushed that receiver over the edge? 

The released gases is what destroys any action. A brittle 03 Springfield will hold and be safe to fire any 06 round loaded to nominal pressures but a weak piece of brass that separates and releases the gas is a certain destruction of the rifle.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:48pm:
Craigd to me it sounds like something caused a detonation to have taken place. The earlier actions made were known to be soft but the explanation of what the rifle looked like after it blew up reminds me of one I have seen and a double charge of unique took it apart. Almost sounds like he mistakingly thought he was using the correct powder and actually picked up the wrong can. I have also heard of this being done and taking a rifle apart. Also a bit hard to believe it had anything to do with excessive headspace the shoulder would have had to been pushed back. Sounds like the owner was very familiar with the proper case sizing process. The die setting I guess could have accidentally been changed if the locking collar was loose when he was screwing it in. But dies also typically touch the shell holder for the correct full length sizing depth and the proper shoulder setback / headspace.

Headspace is in reality the control of brass expansion as the round is fired. A rimmed case has the certainty of the rim to maintain the brass’s integrity during the firing cycle. A rimless case is a balancing act subject to the case shoulder position through the firing of the round. A primer when fired in a rimless case can and will increase the headspace by forcing the shoulder back. The balancing comes when the powder is ignited and the pressures are high enough to force the case to expand out to it’s original safe limits. The rimless case has to have a certain amount of pressure to operate properly, running pressures below that certain amount leaves the case with excessive headspace after a small number of firings. That is why all cast bullets manuals warn of shooting cast bullets loads in high pressure cartridges and not segregating them from one another. 

The guy with the 03 made the big mistake of firing a high pressure reload in a case that had excessive headspace, it’s as simple as that. Lesson learning is never fire high pressure loads in a rimless cartridge that has been subjected to low pressure loads. Most single shot shooters have the advantage of using any and every load due to the rimmed cartridge and it’s ability to maintain headspace no matter the pressure but be warned a rimless case has to have a constant headspace.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Premod, I think we are just thinking along different lines. I don't think pressure that is enough to rupture a brass case, can come close to bulging or fracturing the steel of a decent action, and most actions have gas venting designed in for brass and/or primer failure? Of course expanding gases created the pressure, but you seem to imply that a brass case on its own can withstand normal 30-06 firing pressure? A muzzleloader does not need any brass to successfully fire a black powder charge.

I think if you look at the castboolits link of the Swedish Mauser, the brass case did not look like it failed, there is no case head separation. It appears basically intact other than blowing part of it out of the back. I don't see the force as rearward, it looks like a radial force blew the front action ring apart and the bolt lugs lost their ability to contain the back of the chamber. The brass does appear to have expanded by enough pressure that it lost its ability to spring back. 

I'd also note that the front action ring should have behaved as the barrel did, maybe bulged and cracked the stock. The action metal should have stretched by varying amounts beyond its ability to spring back and only then let go, as the barrel was able to in that blow up example. Only thoughts and opinion, that's all.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 4:52pm:
....The rimless case has to have a certain amount of pressure to operate properly, running pressures below that certain amount leaves the case with excessive headspace after a small number of firings....

Please check the account, the brass was only on the second firing from new. 

Doesn't excessive headspace, usually caused by excessive sizing of the brass, just shorten the brass life? There has been no pressure increase, the fired primers would look normal? If someone misses the signs, doesn't all that happen is the case head is extracted with the remainder of the brass in the chamber?

I would edit to add that modern production probably results in similar rimmed and rimless brass strength, but certainly rimless cartridges are designed for much higher operating pressures.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 5:22pm:
Premod, I think we are just thinking along different lines. I don't think pressure that is enough to rupture a brass case, can come close to bulging or fracturing the steel of a decent action, and most actions have gas venting designed in for brass and/or primer failure? Of course expanding gases created the pressure, but you seem to imply that a brass case on its own can withstand normal 30-06 firing pressure? A muzzleloader does not need any brass to successfully fire a black powder charge.

I think if you look at the castboolits link of the Swedish Mauser, the brass case did not look like it failed, there is no case head separation. It appears basically intact other than blowing part of it out of the back. I don't see the force as rearward, it looks like a radial force blew the front action ring apart and the bolt lugs lost their ability to contain the back of the chamber. The brass does appear to have expanded by enough pressure that it lost its ability to spring back. 

I'd also note that the front action ring should have behaved as the barrel did, maybe bulged and cracked the stock. The action metal should have stretched by varying amounts beyond its ability to spring back and only then let go, as the barrel was able to in that blow up example. Only thoughts and opinion, that's all.

Nope, I never stated or implied that 06 brass will withstand standard loads in itself. I did state the brass will withstand low pressure loads in itself. The action on the 03 was a low number action that has a record of being brittle and unsafe yet daily the rifles are fired with no damage to the shooter or rifle because the brass never ruptured. Once ruptured the gases will destroy the action at normal pressures, gases, not pressure destroyed the action.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
"  I was under the impression that those low number '03 actions were very hard, not meaning strong, that's why they failed by cracking? I believe signs of brittleness can be seen in some of the blow up pictures, but that's just my opinion. "

The below might help to point out what it was I was trying to say.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:25pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint