Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How as are you charging 8-12 gr of Unique. (Read 5925 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How as are you charging 8-12 gr of Unique.
Reply #15 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 10:38am
Print Post  
A tip for offhand 38/55. Most often bullet used our club & we have a lot of 38/55 shooters is Meister Bullets 245 RNFP. Available in Two diameters. I have 3 custom molds for my 38/55 CPA 290 300 & 330. High volume 200 yard offhand they are no better than the Meisters. Buy them 1000 at a time use a couple bags per year. 

Longer range or precision work like bench rest  the heavier custom bullets are better. Time & Labor to cast 2000 bullets for offhand is a real issue. 

Boats

IP Logged

BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Could this be happening because of static electricity buildup? Very improbable to happen, but still a chance. I wipe my powder measure reservoirs with dryer sheets every year as a standard precaution. 

Even my Ideal #5 black powder measure gets the dryer sheet treatment before use. This has the hammer on the front and each drop gets two flips of the hammer to charge the case and one flip to assure the powder has dropped from the tube.

The RCBS, SAECO, Lyman and Harrel powder measures have all been used without a problem. I check each case with a light before seating bullets even with the Dillon 550. I've been on a range several times when a gun blows up and do not want to be the center of attention if this were to happen to me. 

Unique has never given problems, it is my go-to powder  for .45 Colt and medium loads for the .44 Special. Having three different frame strength .45 Colt revolvers, the bulk of my loading is 6.5 grains for the old frames and 8.5 grains for the medium frames.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 7:45am
Print Post  
FROM THE ASTOUNDING POWDER MEASURE TEST

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Am using a Hornady Lock N Load powder measure.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Mine has the adapter that mounts on ones press (I use with a Redding Boss). Simply put the case into the press, stroke the handle and it cycles the charge into the case.
Was apprehensive about it throwing small charges with any accuracy as I needed 7gr of H110 for my 25-20WCF CLA loads. I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a try and cranked down on the adjustment. Loaded 250 cases, weighing every 10th throw and it was accurate to within 0.08gr, which was a very pleasant surprise. Have used it with cases from the 25-20 up thru 30-06 very successfully. Works much faster than a ChargeMaster and just as accurate. Have toyed with the idea of getting the micrometer for setting the volume, but it has worked so well with the coarse thread that I've not bothered.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Buy a fish tank aerator and tape it to the powder measure tank. The vibration will make any powder behave.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

argie1891
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
i have used unique in my cast bullet rifle match shooting for over 30 years, and found that the small weight difference couldn't be seen in my shooting.  Now i have shot Milatary rifle matches. As i have such a good relationship with unique i was wondering if anyone uses it in breach seating loads for the 32-40. When i first got my CPA rifle i tried to work up a load ant pressures were so low i had blow back that ruined the cartridge cases. In the 38-55 i have actually shot a few honest 1 inch groups with my marlin cowboy model 336 and unique powder. It has a lyman peep and aperture front. That was before a heart attack, cancer and arthritis in every joint. anyway i have more sr4759 than unique but would still like to give it a try if i could find a safe load.

if you think you have it figured out  then you just dont understand

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I have been trying to throw charges in 30Cal cases. Bridging is the biggest concern because on the next throw it over charges. Using a larger funnel for 35 or 45 may cure this issue.

I'm thinking I'm just going to use a funnel set up on my 550 and make a dipper. I'm not as concerned about accurracy of the powder charge as I am about not  blowing up a gun.   

I really can't remember if I tried to use a powder measure of 38-55.  I will take another look at that

IP Logged

captaint

Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Great topic.  Just tonight I loaded up 25 rounds of 38-55 with 10 gr. of Unique.  I've always avoided Unique because I never could get consistent charges with the stuff.  Big flakes, in my opinion.  So I double bumped the handle on the Harrels, trying for better consistentcy.  I'll know soon if it worked.  Mike

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Back on the 4rth. weekend, I tried my Harrell Schuetzen. I didn't have anything to load, just set it to previous notes I had, used the large ID drop tube. I threw a few drops, then just ran some to weigh. I want to say .1gr variation, but it was actually just a bit more. I didn't do the throw handle taps or other strategies, but I'd still use my measure with confidence in the future. A discussion like this admittedly makes me think about, but Unique just hasn't been a particular powder measure worry for me in the past.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint