Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How as are you charging 8-12 gr of Unique. (Read 5909 times)
Gard72977

How as are you charging 8-12 gr of Unique.
Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I really like unique for light loads. I'm not having any luck with my powder measures. I have been using a RCBS charger master. It's slow but works. 

I'm really thinking about trimming a pistol case to correct length and soldering a handle on to make a dipper.

Unique scares me because it bridges so easily.

Just wondering what other people are doing.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Re: How as are you charging 8-12 gr of Unique.
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I am confused. Unique used to be a fine Grain Powder. In the past I used it for light charges in a Trapdoor, 15 Grs. behind almost any bullet up to the 405 Gr bullet would shoot well. We did tip the rifle up vertical and bump it to make sure the powder was at the back of the case and bring it to battery carefully so the powder would stay at the flash hole. Do not remember  ever having a Bridging problem. However Lee I think it was did offer a Powder measuring system the had a series of cups with a Handle that were marked or numbered that were used just as you suggested. I have a set but have never bothered to try them as I have measures set up for specific charges for Rifles that I shoot a lot. Now being Honest my powder of preference has and still is 4759. a powder with a terrible reputation of bridging. I have once in a while found that to be a problem.
But was advised many years ago to take a Needle file and make the hole in the measure out of round to correct that issue. I did that and Lo and behold the problem went away. I like 4759 for a couple of reasons. 1) i can usually find a load of 4759 that will shoot good. 2) In the Calibers I shoot, 30-30, 32-40, 38-55 it is not possible to get a double charge into these cartridges. At least for me
my loads will over Flow the case. Hard not to notice. When I load I stand the cartridges upright and then stand up and with a strong light source look into every shell at the Powder charge level. Anything that is out of order shows up.
I suspect that you need to review your system of throwing the charges. Do you rattle or bump the operating handle? on each end of the stroke? Well enough for me for now but I do think there either is something wrong with your Unique to cause it to Bridge or maybe you do not really have Unique. Not really trying to be a wise A$$ but this is confusing to me. Lets see what other responses you get to this issue. HTH FITZ, OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Never have had any trouble with Unique, and it's a powder I probably use as much as any still. I've used it with my old RCBS, Lyman 55, Redding, and Harrell's Precision powder measures, and never had much, if any variation.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I have never had any issues shooting Unique.  Shot a lot of cast bullets with it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I use a trimmed case dipper,Redding scales, and trickler, pretty quick and accurate,  Mal.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
When I first started using Unique for my 455 Webley it didn't meter all that well in my Reading powder measure.   I think that was because Unique is a flake sort of powder.   So I switched to using my Lyman 55 and that measure worked great with Unique.  Not sure why, but it sure did.   I've never wanted to use Unique in rifle cartridges because it doesn't bulk up enough to be readilly noticeable with an accidental double charge.  But that's just me.

George

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I did most of my past use with an RCBS measure, and ran some through my Dillon. More recently, I don't use as much Unique, but my Harrell's stuff works without any surprises.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Like marlinguy don't have any trouble with unique un my measures. I am very fond of the little Dandy powder measures.and have two with rotors fir 13.5 and 8g and use them in many cartridges

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
get a lee  perfect powder measure  $25 and they work great  hold 1 tenth grain accuracy    art

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 9:57pm:
Like marlinguy don't have any trouble with unique un my measures. I am very fond of the little Dandy powder measures.and have two with rotors fir 13.5 and 8g and use them in many cartridges

Forgot all about the Little Dandy powder measure! I have one I use at the range, plus two Pacific versions that I have many more rotors for and use also. Both a really handy little measures to use when loading at the range, or when breech seating is done.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply. I have a RCBS and Harrel benchrest powder measure. I'm just seeing large variations in charge weight. Often as much as .5gr there has even been a couple times the powder bridged causing a light charge then a over charge. The were not while loading thankfully.

I just don't trust the powder measure enough right now with this powder.

I'm trying to load offhand practice ammo for 38-55  on the Dillon 550. I will get it figured out.

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Try a Ohaus Duo-measure the small side will handle about 24 gr. Of powder depending on the powder   works great with fine grain powders. A couple of taps up and down. The powder hopper is a POS  very fragile. I've been using one on a Dillon 450 for years,  I've never tried the large side of it.
LD1

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Like the other fellas, I never had an issue measuring Unique. I use a Belding&Mull measure for most everything, for what it's worth.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I can throw Unique in my Harrells Schuetzen but most times use a Bonanza fixed rotor pistol meter. Have rotors that throw up to 7.5 grs often use two throws of a smaller rotor to come up with desired weight. Pistol measure is fast set up and accurate enough. I ALWAYS check cases with a  Flashlight for double charges.

My Unique use in rifles is all offhand mostly 38/40 & 25/20 in Marlin 1894s  Do use it in 38/55 & 32/40 Rifles for gallery loads, subsonic. Whole lot of unique 20 g shotgun & pistol too. Nearly empty 8 lb jug in my shed now. Time to buy another.

Always check weigh first charges never weigh the rest. 50 feet in the Rifle calibers ASSRA target 100 meters Pistol caliber Marlins NRA silhouette little variance in charge not real important . Accurate 200 yard work with my 38/55 4759 or 4227 I use a Harrells measure throw desired charge in the scale pan & check weigh. Can throw 30-40 perfect then a light one turns up. Always due to a short throw. One light charge can cost a match. Would never use thrown not weighed Unique for important matches. Its great short range high volume powder. Unique is never going to volume measure as well as 4227.

Boats
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:19am by boats »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:26am
Print Post  
By chance have you tried another can of unique to make sure it’s not something with that can?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint