Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paper for PP (Read 1792 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Paper for PP
Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
I am getting hooked on pp bullets and bought a dual diameter mold from Accuratemolds and paper from BACO.  I have been trying this in my 40-70 SS Hepburn and now I am thinking of screwing my match quality 40-65 barrel into one of my Hiwalls and trying it in that barrel.  I need to do a chamber cast but I know that the bore on that barrel is 0.410 where my Hepburn is 0.4085.  Is there a readily available paper that is a tad thicker than the 0.015 Baco paper I could try before I invest in a second mold?  Will I be asking for trouble to use a triple wrap?  Now that the range is back open I have found a good duplex load with Swiss 3fffg and am going to try a few smokeless loads Friday as the rifle is intended for hunting antelope this fall and I would like a slight gain in velocity but if it doesn't work the blackpowder loads are certainly accurate enough.  The Hepburn still has problems with the primers backing out with blackpowder loads and have to cock and fire again but the smokeless loads with gg bullets have been working without problems as long as I use CCI primers.  That is one reason why I want to see what the Hiwall in 40-65 will do as you never can tell when an antelope will charge!   Grin  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Re: Paper for PP
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Use the same paper for both barrels, altho there's a pretty fair chance you find better accuracy with a thinner paper such as the Seth Cole 55 w or maybe even thinner yet 55Y

IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Bulseyetom
I'm having trouble working out why your primers in your black powder loads are backing out before the rifle has even gone off, please explain. 
Mike.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 9:37am
Print Post  
If you want thicker paper, go to the paper store or the arts&crafts store with your micrometer.

I found a crinkly, brittle paper called NU Ultra Vellum that is 0.002” thickness and works well for patching skinnier bullets.  The thickness of the paper bears no more relation to the pound weight on the label than the stock market ups&downs to the phases of the moon.  You need to measure it directly.

It’s worth firing a few shots with your already-made patched bullets in the new barrel to see.  I had spectacular results in a .45-70 with an “undersized” patched bullet that slid down the bore with no resistance whatsoever.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Mick, my problems with the Hepburn primers backing out and locking up the action have been cussed and discussed here on the board several times.  The chamber is cut for 0.073 thick rims and most of my brass is 0.068 so I bought some from BACO with 0.73 rims.  Still the same problem.  When I shoot some loads, the primer backs out upon firing, not before, and the action locks up as the primer is pushing against the block.  You then have to cock the rifle and fire again which seats the primer back far enough that the action opens easily and the empty cas pops out.  I have found many smokeless loads that do not have this problem but when shooting black it is about 85% of the time.  Others with Hepburns tell me they have the same problem and also fire a second time. Maybe I should replace the term fire and say cock and drop the firing pin on the already fired case stuck in the chamber from the firing pin protruding.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Sounds like your firing pin hole in the breechblock is to big. Getting it bushed out for the correct size of the firing pin would solve a lot of problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint