Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bullet seating depth (Read 7749 times)
john d
Participating Member

bullet seating depth
May 19th, 2020 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Hi.
Been away from the forum and shooting for some months, now of course, I have time to spare but no chance to do any shooting, similarly neither is there any point in re loading for the time being.

I have therefor been pottering in the workshop 'making things' which maybe, when and if we return to some form of normality, might improve my efforts at hitting the target.

Apart from a couple of automatic case annealing machines,
(one for a friend) and a lead hardness tester I have made a bullet comparator, the purpose of which is to enable the bullet to be inserted into the case the right amount so as to have a constant 'jump' (or none at all), before it engages with the rifling. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

(there are several commercial products on the market together with U Tube videos on their use).

My question is, am I right in assuming that the ID of the 'anvil' into which the ogive of the round sits, should be such as to mimic the  rifling lands in the gun. These inserts are commercially available and designated as suited for various calibres to be inserted  in the clamp on the fixed end of the caliper, but do not state the actual ID. I could buy a set, but that rather defeats the object.
My home cast and commercial lead bullets vary in spite of being sold as 45/70, by one or two thou on the bullet nose diameter. ahead of the driving bands and the ogives vary in length. Therefore, measuring the L.O.A. of the round will not necessarily result in the desired 'jump' being constant unless using aforesaid 'comparator'

While I am asking questions has anyone any experience of the Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph.

Stay safe

John D

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet seating depth
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2020 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Rather than use a  special tool or a complicated multi-step process used by some shooters, use this very simple technique.

Split the neck of a used case with a hacksaw or Dremel-type tool and partially insert the bullet.  The split neck will hold the bullet in place under tension but will expand and allow the bullet to slide back into the case when loaded.  Load the cartridge, push the case fully into the chamber and close the action.  Slowly open the action and extract the cartridge.  Measuring the overall length of the case and seated bullet will provide the maximum cartridge overall length with the bullet touching the leade, i.e., the COAL.

Subtract 0.005” or possibly more for variations in bullet length/diameter and for a fouled bore.  Of if you're wiping between shots and want the nose firmly into to lead, extend the bullet accordingly.

Reusing the split case, the process is repeated if a different type or style of bullet is used or the alloy mix is changed, resulting in dimensional changes to the bullets and affecting the cartridge length.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2020 at 12:35am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2020 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
     I just shove the bullet up into the leade, and measure with a dial caliper the distance from the bullet base to the breech face.   Easy to come up with the OAL to seat the bullet against the lands that way.  Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2020 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 5:21pm:
     I just shove the bullet up into the leade, and measure with a dial caliper the distance from the bullet base to the breech face.   Easy to come up with the OAL to seat the bullet against the lands that way.  Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
CHRIS
RGChristensen

Chris,

Using that technique one still has to figure out the head clearance and add it to the measurement for the COAL, which is not necessary with the split case method.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2020 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
My current 45-70 fixed load features the full floating spring seater system. Patent pending. The modified RCBS, (shortened), bullet is a slip fit in the case. Seating the cartridge in the chamber sets the bullet seating depth. 

Further details about this load cannot be disclosed at this time, sorry, patent pending......

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2020 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Rubber bands again Joe?  Are you cutting wads from 1/2"wide rubber bands?  Am I close?  Are you looking for investors?

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2020 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Used this patent pending load couple years ago in my 45-90. Last time used  scored six chickens.  

Best thing since peanut butter. 

Go ahead, send me a hundred bucks.

IP Logged

john d
Participating Member

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately neither of my questions were answered, 

Thanks anyway, I' m sure I'll find the answers someplace else.

John

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I believe that what they were telling you, John, is that your rifle is the best "anvil" to determine zero clearance with any particular bullet and once that is determined it would be easy to set an OAL for any particular clearance. Now, if you are buying bullets and expect them to be of any specific consistency you will be chasing your tail. The only way to count on them to match measurements is to cast them yourself. Also I believe you will find that most shooters want zero clearance as a way to guarantee the bullet is centered in the bore before the fire is lit. At least it is probably the best place to start and then can be experimented with to prove it was.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
john d wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 5:15pm:
Unfortunately neither of my questions were answered, 

Thanks anyway, I' m sure I'll find the answers someplace else.

John

John, I read your question for the third time just a moment ago. Still not sure what all it is asking. 

If you want to know how far your bullets should be seated in the case, or away from the rifling, that cannot be answered by us on the forum. Only you can answer the question.

Your answer lies in your own hands. Get out there and figure it out. 

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Seat a bullet quite long in the case and push it into the chamber. Run a wooden dowel or cleaning Rod to touch the end of the bullet Mark it with a sharp edge of a knife or very fine pencil. Remove the cartridge and then run that same rod in up against the breech face and make another Mark. measure those two lines that is your max overall length for a start.Chamber the round and see how it engraves.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
The bushing diameter is bore diameter, in theory the diameter where the bullet will first contact.

If you want exact, cut the bushing with the same reamer as the chamber was cut.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Just watched this video. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Seems to me like an answer to a problem I've never had. 

"My question is, am I right in assuming that the ID of the 'anvil' into which the ogive of the round sits, should be such as to mimic the  rifling lands in the gun."

The anvil appears to be flat. Has nothing to do with bullet ogive or rifling.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Maybe you should ask the question on BR Central or a reloading forum.   

Sure is something new to me.

IP Logged

MikeK
Participating Member

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
If I understand the OP's question, it involves a loaded cartridge length measurement, taken on the ogive of the bullet.  I have one of these:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It allows accurate measurement of "cartridge length" with respect to a datum point on the ogive of the bullet.  The idea here is that the ogive shape of the bullet is accurately formed in the bullet making process.  This particular tool is for jacketed bullets.  To determine the maximum OAL for a given bullet, I use the technique described above, with the two marks on a dowel (I use two pieces of blue tape on the dowel flush with the face of the muzzle instead of knife cuts.  Same idea though.)  

I then seat the test bullet in a case to the measured maximum OAL and take a measurement using the comparator and calipers.  This gives an accurate reference length for the maximum OAL.  It is not the actual OAL of the cartridge, but a reference number measured with the comparator.  Once the reference number is known the seating depth can easily be adjusted up or down as needed.

I think this process would work with cast bullets from the same mould, as the ogive shape should be quite consistent, if bullet weights are consistent.  I have not tried this, though.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint