Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .32rf Loading tool (Read 2199 times)
kootne
Senior Forum Member

.32rf Loading tool
Jun 10th, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Some of you are aware of my fondness for .32 RF single shots. I put some photos on a recent post of a tool I use that addresses the unique requirements of the re and depriming along with the other loading steps. Prompted by a couple requests for a video I managed eventually to thrash my way through all the steps to be a certified Vidiot on utube. I thought to start a new thread instead of further hijacking Bike's thread I'll repost photos here and add video link.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

The "load" is a #2 Power tool blank as primer and propellant and a 299153 cast in a Ideal tong tool.

Here is what I have evolved to for 32rf reloading. It will be 3 posts because I don't have the knack of getting more than 1 photo on at a time. 
first photo showing a modified #3 .38 Special tool and a couple punches.
Modifications are;
1. bullet seating die is bored out and sleeved to seat .32L ctrdges.
2. primer seating station bored & sleeved to fit .32L
3. bullet sizing station is converted to depriming, being bored and sleeved with a stepped ID, .385 id to step(step is .050 wide), then .320 id through. The sleeve is 1.21 oal, allowing 32XL to be deprimed.
4. the bullet sizing punch was removed and the hole opened up to .201 (#7) and drilled through top handle. The first photo is sort of an expanded view of how the tool, case and depriming punch relate.
The small punch with the pointed tip is to swell open the crimp to accept the depriming punch if the crimp does not open evenly.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2020 at 12:02pm by kootne »  

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Re: .32rf Loading tool
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
This picture shows the tool with the case in the depriming sleeve and the depriming punch slipped through the top handle, ready to knock out the blank.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
The tool is inverted and the wooden handle of the depriming punch is knocked against anything you may interpret as an anvil to dislodge the blank from the casing. In previous pictures you will notice a reduced diameter back from the end of the punch. The punch is 3/16 drill rod, very slightly radiused on the end the help prevent it punching through the blank. The reduced area allows the crimped portion of the blank which flares out on firing a place to collapse into as it moves out through the base of the case.
This tool allows rapid, effortless and irritation free loading of shells at home or range.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Another shot, the 2 sleeves in the tool in the center and rear positions have a small shoulder on the od to prevent them from pushing through in operation. You can also see the step on the ID at the bottom of the rear station that retains the case but lets the blank pass though. Hopefully the pictures and my babbling explain all.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Very nicely explained and the video a big help.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Excellent!  That tool makes it so easy. Well done Dennis.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Excellent!  Now, where are my spare tong tools?

<div class=

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I am going to continue this post and branch into different methods and components I have played with. I started this path 10 years ago with a #1-1/2 Remington. I sort of fumbled my way into making some working loads. I then found some articles in older shooting magazines. Then I started using the internet to find other options. I was somewhat involved in the long thread on Cast Boolits a few years back and read many other threads on various sites. I found most had a way that worked for them and many were convinced they had the best way. I decided to try to keep an open mind and continue with my own ideas along with trying out the thoughts of others and try to come up with the pros & cons of each concept.
So the first thing I'm discussing is, "The case for the .32 Rim Fire".
Here is a picture of 10 cases, from the top, left to right they are;
1. A factory .32 Long Colt with the "Long Rifle" case and inside lubed bullet. This case is the CF equivalent of the .32RF 
2. A fired case from above load, wish I'd never sold that Ballard. 
3. A machined .32 RF Short from Dixie Arms, there are several purveyor's of similar cases. Offset primer, requires orientation when loading.
4. A case I made by reforming 32S&W to 32LC and cutting offset primer pocket.
5. My first style of case, thinned rim and .27 power tool load (Ramset) .27 cal. will light from any firing pin spacing w/o orientation

Second row;
6. My 2nd style, 22 cal primer, centered in case, rim thinned, head spacing on protruding .22 blank, requires a firing pin that will reach to hit blank.
7. Lathe turned case, full thickness rim, 
8. case with an offset large pistol pocket, Didn't work, some things are a swing and a miss.
9 & 10 cases formed for 1 time use from tubing, brass & aluminum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint