Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bullet seating depth (Read 7747 times)
Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet seating depth
Reply #15 - May 27th, 2020 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Because of the way non-tipped, jacketed bullets are formed, measuring overall. Cartridge length is almost a waste of time. Even the best bullets vary too much in length. So measuring cartridge base to ogive provides a much more accurate point of reference to quality check loaded rounds.

When used as a way to adjust seating depth, comparing to +/- contact with the lands, it’s no different than adjusting bullet distance in front of the case for breech seating.

Most quality cast bullets vary less in length and from base to ogive than jacketed bullets, But if you are looking for a consistent seated depth, and or jump the process has merit.

There was a thread a couple weeks and I posted targets of low grade 22 LR groups that were straight out of the box and also sorted base to ogive. The sorted ammo had about 25% less vertical.

With compressed loads with fixed cartridges it seams to be a bit more accurate than overall length, but it all depends on the uniformity of the bullets to begin with.

IP Logged

john d
Participating Member

Reply #16 - May 28th, 2020 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Gentlemen, Thank you for your renewed interest in my original post.

I'm afraid in my ignorance I miss labelled the insert calling it the Anvil (of a comparator which is indeed flat), instead of an insert. In addition perhaps my question was buried in too much 'waffle'.

In fact Dellet has answered my question. Many thanks.

I am aware that there are many available inserts (given the difficulty of importing anything firearms related from the US to the UK), but none that I could find relating to the Sharps 45/70 i have just acquired.

The second question was concerning the Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph to which i have access, so not particularly important. 

Thanks again,

John D

IP Logged

john d
Participating Member

Reply #17 - May 28th, 2020 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Gentlemen, Thank you for your renewed interest in my original post.

I'm afraid in my ignorance I miss labelled the insert calling it the Anvil (of a comparator which is indeed flat), instead of an insert. In addition perhaps my question was buried in too much 'waffle'.

In fact Dellet has answered my question. Many thanks.

I am aware that there are many available inserts (given the difficulty of importing anything firearms related from the US to the UK), but none that I could find relating to the Sharps 45/70 i have just acquired.

The second question was concerning the Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph to which i have access, so not particularly important. 

Thanks again,

John D

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2020 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Rambling no hard opinion & addressing seating depth not loaded cartridge consistency. Core issue I can see any method to check consistency needs a uniform “datum” that is a single consistent reference point on the object being tested.

Reference  point on the commercial comparator tools I have seen is cylindrical, reliable standard.   If the nose is not consistent the reading won't be consistent which may be a good thing to know.

Pure opinion, all of the methods guys in this forum have mentioned are probably better to set bullet seating depth than any tool. Bullet you will use in the chosen guns chamber without any extra tools.  

I slip fit the bullet in the case or breech seater, paint the nose with black marker chamber and look for indication of engagement. It's just a starting point, pass that simple test how the load performs is the real test.

Boats

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 28th, 2020 at 9:27am
Print Post  
boats wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 9:09am:
Rambling no hard opinion & addressing seating depth not loaded cartridge consistency. Core issue I can see any method to check consistency needs a uniform “datum” that is a single consistent reference point on the object being tested.

Reference  point on the commercial comparator tools I have seen is cylindrical, reliable standard.   If the nose is not consistent the reading won't be consistent which may be a good thing to know.

Pure opinion, all of the methods guys in this forum have mentioned are probably better to set bullet seating depth than any tool. Bullet you will use in the chosen guns chamber without any extra tools.  

I slip fit the bullet in the case or breech seater, paint the nose with black marker chamber and look for indication of engagement. It's just a starting point, pass that simple test how the load performs is the real test.

Boats

The idea of a comparator is not really to set seating depth, only to check it.

You start with any of the methods talked about to find the lands, then measure that cartridge.

Then set up your seating die based on that measurement using the tool, and whether you want say .015” jump or jam. Once you’ve found your accuracy length, it become easier to repeat setting up the press.

When you want to start spilling hairs, then sort your bullets first, base to ogive. Then the loaded length will be a tighter tolerance. Seated depth/compression, as well as jump or engraved depth into the bore.

The other thing that can be done is to save the original bullet and case used to take the measurement. You can use it to measure throat erosion later on.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 28th, 2020 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Based on the photo you posted, you might want to check bullet runout. Probably a lot more critical than a thousandths or two in OAL.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 28th, 2020 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Dellet hit the nail on the head.

Boats

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I use the Hornady OAL Gauge to get th OAL length of case and bullet. Then I use the Comparator to determine max depth of bullet in case/chamber. 
Am I reading negative about this process?

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Back in the 80s when I started loading BPCR, I was told by all the local gurus to load with  bullet pushing tight to the lands.  About 2 tons of BP later I decided to try a little jump just to see.  My groups cut in half!   Huh Leave no stone upturned   Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Just think if you had had a comparator back then, Bob.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint