Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Hiwall in .30-405 for Lucian Cary (Read 11500 times)
Smoke
Oldtimer

Pope Hiwall in .30-405 for Lucian Cary
Apr 17th, 2020 at 11:56am
Print Post  
This highwall in .30-405 Winchester was built by Pope for Lucian Cary.  According to Ron Peterson, Pope only chambered three rifles in this caliber and the Cary rifle was the only highwall.

See also the "Pope .405-308 Cartridge" thread of January 2020 (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

That thread mentions a .30-405 Pope that was in the collection of John Amber.

Is this the rifle Amber owned? 

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Re: Pope Hiwall in .30-405 for Lucian Cary
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Great looking and RARE. I'm  anxious to watch your replies.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2020 at 11:49am by scharfe »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I like the dual firing pin retainer screws. I've never noticed that on a 'wall before. Thanks for the look at this rifle- nice stuff.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The John T. Amber collection was auctioned off by Richard A. Bourne Co. November 11-13, 1986. 261 pages of items. Being in jail here I spent some time going thru my copy and did NOT find this rifle listed. Not that he may have sold or traded it at an earlier date.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Was there a Pope highwall in .30-405 listed for sale in the Amber Collection?

This gun belongs to Eric Keel, whom you probably know from the ISSA, and he's trying to establish the provenance if possible.

Thanks

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:49am
Print Post  
In the earlier discussion on this oddball Pope cartridge referenced above, what has to be this rifle was described in detail, attributed to having been in Ron Peterson's shop at one time, and also attributed to being the one made for Carey and eventually owned by Amber.  HOWEVER, I must point out that while two of the three Popes in this caliber were said to be "target rifles", Carey's, though supposedly the only high-wall, was also supposedly made for hunting.  Therefore, since I personally can't see anyone toting this rifle around in the field, and since it's not listed in the Amber Collection catalog, I'd guess it's more likely one of the two target rifles than Carey's.  In any case, being one of only three and in such great condition would be enough bragging rights for me.

And perhaps Peterson still has records.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Smoke, I did not see a Hi-wall of that caliber in the auction.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Very interesting proof marks on the receiver.  The WP proof was being applied to barrels in July of 1905 and then added to receivers in 1908.  The circle P was applied to barrels that were sold to outside customers in 1913 but I've never seen a circle P on a receiver.  The proof marks are quite heavy.  Could either Harry or Lucien Carey been tight enough with the factory that they would have sold a raw receiver to one of them?  I know Harry was buying barrel blanks from the factory to be rifled by himself.  I wonder if that is an original highwall hammer that Harry ground down and re-checkered.  Also, the barrel seems to be set back a little farther than usual.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Okay, no .30-405 Highwall listed in the auction catalog for John amber's guns, and the numbers on the gun match the gun mentioned by Terry on the General Discussion forum.

All we have to go on at this point is Ron Peterson's understanding as to whether or not the rifle belonged to Lucian Cary.

One other interesting thing is that this is a slab-side Highwall, something that Winchester stopped making years earlier.

I suspect that for a couple of men like Pope and Cary, getting a special order receiver out of Winchester's shop would not be difficult.

I think it may be time for a Winchester letter...

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
This subject was brought before and you might try doing a search. I posted some information about it and Lucian Cary. But I don't recall what it was or which ASSRA Journal I got it out of. I might have made note of it in the discussion at the time.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Terry Buffum Posted the below information:

I had one of the Pope Highwall .308/405.  Pope's Jersey City number 595, twist 14/0 and dated 11/11/21.  It was a very heavy hunting or more likely a long  range competition rifle with wide DST and shotgun butt, yet had a schuetzen type lever.

The auction house said it was from Warren Greatbatch who had gotten in from the John Amber collection.  But, no info on anyone ever really using it.  Amber thought it was Lucien Cary's but I don't see anyone carrying a 12+ pound rifle for hunting

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Here's the description from the Amoskeag web page when the gun was placed at auction in June of 2016:

Lot 158: Winchester Pope Model 1885 Thick Side High Wall Rifle

serial #118464, .308-405, 32" round barrel with a bright excellent bore. The top of the barrel is marked "H.M. POPE" and the bottom of barrel is marked "595 / W.I. / H.T. / 14/0 / 11/11/21 / H.M. POPE" and the barrel has five groove right hand twist rifling. The .308-405 is a 405 WCF cartridge necked down to .308 caliber, Pope made three barrels in this caliber, two sporting rifles and one Winchester single shot which he made for Lucian Cary. The barrel retains 97% original blue finish while the action retains 98% restored blue finish. The top tang shows an extra hole with filler screw which partially obscures the Winchester address. The top of the action interestingly shows a standard Winchester proof along with a mail order proof. This would make perfect sense for a rifle ordered directly from Pope on a High Wall action. The rifle is equipped with a standard Winchester plain straight grip buttstock with checkered steel shotgun buttplate. The forend is a large custom checkered beavertail threaded for a palm rest and with a sling swivel mounted at its tip, there is no corresponding swivel to the rear. The stocks rate excellent with lots of original finish remaining. The rifle is equipped with factory adjustable double set triggers and a Winchester style Schuetzen spur lever. The rifle is sighted with a globe front, no provision for rear and no tang sight; the barrel does wear a pair of target blocks. This is presumably the rifle that Pope made for Lucian Cary, however there is no provenance with it. A neat custom Pope High Wall.

The hammer price was $1725.00

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Although the butt stock looks to be a factory Winchester straight grip shotgun butt, the forend appears to me to be from a BSA no. 12, reworked to fit the barrel.  The general shape, checkering pattern and sling swivel locations all appear to me to be BSA.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2020 at 5:14pm by 830singleshot »  

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Another interesting note on this gun.  Although this is a slab-side Highwall, it's a coil spring action.

The information we can gather will be going to Tom Rowe for his book on Pope.

Thanks for all the comments.

(and it could be a Martini forend, except there's no trap for the sight inserts...)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Not all had the trap, did they? Mine didn't.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint