Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Suggestions for new powder scale... (Read 2277 times)
Just Jim

Suggestions for new powder scale...
Mar 18th, 2020 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
We are now in our lovely new forest home in the southern Appalachians, but it was a tough move. Lots of my wife's fine furniture shattered, and quite a few things never seen again, including my reloading scale. 

I had a base model Lyman I used since about 1972, but it went bad and started sticking. I replaced it with a vintage Lyman M5, and it was flawless in its operation, but now it appears to be gone.

What do you all prefer in a simple balance beam scale? Something cheap and readily available used would be right up my alley, but before searching, I thought I'd see if there was any agreement about a preferred scale. 

Thanks...   Jim

IP Logged

Jeff Houck

Re: Suggestions for new powder scale...
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
A mechanical balance scale that can weigh 1000grs. or more. I've used my Lyman 10-10 for 50+ years and it's never had a problem and never lost calibration. There have been times when I've weighed the entire cartridge so I needed the entire capacity of the scale.

Electronic scales will fail in their electronic components, batteries, calibration etc. Unless you buy a high end analyitical scale you just can't trust the data to be consistant. My cheapie reloading scales never lasted very long. Certainly not 50+ years.

The mechanical scales will always work reliable as long as gravity stays the same.  Grin

Jeff Houck
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Just Jim

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Jeff Houck wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 9:24pm:
The mechanical scales will always work reliable as long as gravity stays the same.  Grin

Yes, I'm a HUGE fan of simple balance beam scales, but they can fail. I presume it was something in relation to the bearing and knife edge arrangement that went wonky in my old Lyman. I cleaned it several times, checked for ferrous fibers near the dampening magnet, etc, but it would no longer produce uniform results. 

Oh well, it was used when I got it, and it performed well in constant use for multiple decades. Hard to fault that!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Just Jim wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 8:50pm:
We are now in our lovely new forest home in the southern Appalachians, but it was a tough move. Lots of my wife's fine furniture shattered, and quite a few things never seen again, including my reloading scale. 

I had a base model Lyman I used since about 1972, but it went bad and started sticking. I replaced it with a vintage Lyman M5, and it was flawless in its operation, but now it appears to be gone.

What do you all prefer in a simple balance beam scale? Something cheap and readily available used would be right up my alley, but before searching, I thought I'd see if there was any agreement about a preferred scale. 

Thanks...   Jim 

You can get a powder scale anytime.

Fine furniture shattered? My God! Tell us about that. What happened? 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 9:01am
Print Post  
I have tens of thousands of rounds across my Pacific(Hornady) Model M. Been using it for all my reloading needs since 1974. If I had to get another, I would look at the oil dampened Model O. I have an oil dampened Redding for weighing cast bullets and it settles in one oscillation. I won’t use it for powder as the grain “tab” notches are too fine and even a small bump will move it a notch or two....not fun when loading up near max for a Hornet Angry.

IP Logged

Just Jim

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 9:08am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:21am:
[quote author=68575156684B4F220 link=1584579002/0#0 date=1584579002]

Don't want to use up bandwidth here, but will just tell the funny part of it: We selected a mover based in part on the GREAT move my Mother had with them only a month previously. I tell everyone -  sales guy, packers, driver - that I'm confident they are motivated to take care of everything, but that my wife's furniture is her pride and joy, and that it SIMPLY CAN NOT BE DAMAGED! I point out in particular, her 9K dining table and six chairs. 

After arrival, our driver enters with his head hanging low, and tells me one of the fancy carved chairs has had a leg broken off. Throughout the day, he is forced to repeat this performance twice more. And then there were the other things. Sigh... 

It would seem my statement of CAN NOT BE DAMAGED was taken as an inspiring challenge!  Angry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I have used an Ohaus balance beam when I need absolute precision.   

Just checking bullets, I usually use an RCBS digital, but have to double check the "0"  occasionally.  I have checked it against the Ohaus and it is good enuf for bullet sorting and a lot faster.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Been using a Gempro 250 (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) for 15+ years and it always works great (knock on wood - will likely meltdown when I start reloading later today since I've said this Wink). I almost never turn it off (only when the power goes out in a storm) and change the batteries about every 18-24 months (once went longer and had to spend 30min cleaning out the corrosion). I check the calibration every few months and as long as I have not turned it off it is still spot-on. I like that it goes from grn to oz to gm with the push of a button.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Just Jim wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 9:08am:
westerner wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:21am:
[quote author=68575156684B4F220 link=1584579002/0#0 date=1584579002]

Don't want to use up bandwidth here, but will just tell the funny part of it: We selected a mover based in part on the GREAT move my Mother had with them only a month previously. I tell everyone -  sales guy, packers, driver - that I'm confident they are motivated to take care of everything, but that my wife's furniture is her pride and joy, and that it SIMPLY CAN NOT BE DAMAGED! I point out in particular, her 9K dining table and six chairs. 

After arrival, our driver enters with his head hanging low, and tells me one of the fancy carved chairs has had a leg broken off. Throughout the day, he is forced to repeat this performance twice more. And then there were the other things. Sigh... 

It would seem my statement of CAN NOT BE DAMAGED was taken as an inspiring challenge!  Angry

At least his head was hanging like the guilty dog he is! 

Thank God it was your wife's furniture and not one of your prized single shot rifles. 

There is a silver lining behind every dark cloud. 

I've been using the same RCBS powder scale since 1972. Goes to every match with me. Has been bounced around and taken apart and assembled thousands of times.  No complaints.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint