Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best Lube (Read 1655 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Best Lube
Mar 18th, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
I have been using SPG lube for many years. It gives me good performance, as far as I can tell. I do not really have a fouling-drying problem if I am careful. I wipe with a damp patch between shots and I have switched back to Swiss 1.5 Fg from 3 Fg. On really hot days I could see that the fowling would tend towards drying out with my ~70 gr loads when using 3 Fg in a 40-65 case. Not so much now with 1.5 Fg.

Not sure I need to try and improve my lube but what are the current experiences with any of the new (or still good old) lubes? Has anyone made comparisons and can recommend a definitive lube that is superior? 

May be opening a can of worms but at least they will be well lubed  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Best Lube
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
You will probably get a bunch of different opinions, but I like DGL more than SPG in hotter weather.  However I have not used the new SPG Tropical which I'd like to try.   

Dave's Alberta Schuetzen Lube works quite well in black powder rifles also.   

Chris.

IP Logged

GrumpyBear

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
My vote is for D.G.L also works very well, thanks Chris.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Brian

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
hepburnman
I live in the Arizona desert and for warm or hot weather (or any other weather for that matter) I've found SPG Tropic just plain works. I shoot breech seated - grooved bullets pan lubed with SPG Tropic. Then drop-tube case with Swiss or Olde E leaving enough space for card-oleo-card wad stack. Oleo is .09 (1/8 th inch) cookie of SPG Tropic. 
At the 2018 ISSA Schuetzenfest (NRA Whittington Center) I shot a 50-shot offhand match with my .38-55 dirty for 65 consecutive shots. No wiping between shots, last bullet seated as easy as 3rd shot. First two shots of course seated easy but all succeeding shots also seated easy. Bullet was 300 grain tapered bullet, .001 over groove diameter at base.
See attached illustration
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2020 at 3:14pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I Have found that the addition of 1 tablespoon of Lanolin (i use Lanolin oil) per pound of SPG or Javalina Schuetzen Lube helps with drying It also helps with the lube drying out when the bullets sit for long periods of time.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint