Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WSU (Read 2106 times)
Geezer
Participating Member

WSU
Feb 24th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Anyone have information about what's happening with, or to, the Wyoming Schuetzen Union? I've applied a couple of time for access to their forum, but never received any communication from them.

Then, in a somewhat related matter, there is currently a small group of /single shot/Schuetzen shooters in northwest Wyoming (Cody) and south central Montana (Red Lodge). We shoot every Sunday morning in Cody and we've been talking of organizing a club. Would it be appropriate for us to formally affiliate with ASSRA? We're members. We shoot indoors during the winter and occasionally meet for a winter outdoor shoot using a makeshift shooting house at the Cody Shooting Complex. All shooting is outdoors during spring, summer and fall. The idea is, of course, to have a good time, good fellowship and friendly competition. I'd also like to develop some activities that promote the single shot sports and expect that we could enlist some assistance from The Buffalo Bill Museum Firearms Museum, but I believe affiliation with a larger organization that has a solid grounding in single shot rifle games is essential. That's ASSRA in my estimation.

I would appreciate any comments you might have, positive or negative.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: WSU
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Geezer,
I got on it once a few years back but the scuttle is it's dead and gone, 7 years ago?   
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'd like to see you form something over there, I'm trying to make something happen in this corner of the state and Cody has his up and going in the SE corner of the state.  It's a lot of work, some of the local young folk express an interest, there's a few of the geriatric crew that are interested but the rest of us are working stiffs, many with our own businesses that are all consuming.  if you discover any secrets let me know. 
I was hatched and raised just out of Red Lodge, do you have a place to shoot there now? Stillwater?
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Geezer
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
No, Red Lodge doesn't have a range; a couple of shooters from there come to Cody to shoot. I've heard something about 
Stillwater, but not much. Cody (town) Shooting Complex has a lot of potential, but not the specific facilities needed for our kind of shooting. It will take a lot of volunteer work (if you want it done, do it yourself) and some creativity in terms of attracting younger shooters. So far we're all "geriatric" here. I know there are young people who would like single shot games, but wading through the black gun cabals to get to them is a challenge.

Thank you for your interest and your comments. Where are you located?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
The burbs of Gillette.   
The range at Stillwater has a lot of potential and at one time they had silhouettes for 22, the benches are covered and solid with distances to 200? flat and clear with good backing, for gongs they run up the mountainside to 800 something if I recall right.   My siblings and I pay the membership there every year but it seems we never use it more than once a year, just keeping a family tradition going.
One thing we joke about there though, if you can shoot in the Nye breeze and maintain some semblance of accuracy, you'll be a remarkable shot anywhere else.   Keep some lead ingots in your pockets for ballast.   Grin   

I'd appreciate a notice when you folks shoot, it's a bit of a drive but one never knows when the moon and stars will line up right  and a few of us could make it...
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Geezer.   To answer the other part of your original question.  It is absolutely to your advantage to affiliate a new club with ASSRA.  Very easy to do.  Need 5 ASSRA members (not sure anyone is counting)  and send $15 to Ought6, Alan on this forum.  See the magazine.
With an affiliated club your scores become "official", Records made are honored, and scores you send published in the magazine.
Best advertizment for a club is for people close to you to see evidence of a match.  Maybe they will show up at the next one. 
I hope this is all correct.  I am not an officer.       Good luck

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Geezer
In response to your original question, the WSU website went dark a few days ago, maybe a week. The URL was:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
It doesn't go anywhere now.
That site was being run in an attempt to keep the WSU alive. It never did have many members or readers. The site was thanks to the efforts of one individual. Things in life change and he unsuccessfully attempted to find someone to take over the site as I understand the situation. So after suitable warning he eventually pulled the plug.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint