Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Whitworth Target Rifle (Read 7462 times)
CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Re: Whitworth Target Rifle
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 4:54am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Feb 4th, 2020 at 5:41pm:
Charle, I have a copy of The Target Rifle in Australia 1860-1900 by J.E. Corcoran and it is amazing to read about all the fine target rifles that ended up over there. I found the Webley Wyley ratchet rifled match rifle especially interesting. I can highly recommend this book to those interested in fine target rifles rarely encountered here.

Yes it is a great book and over the last 3 or 4 decades my old dad owned a number of rifles featured in that book, including a Webley Wyley. Wish I knew where it was now!

Attach is a slightly of topic picture for this forum, but it is featured in the book you mention and goes nicely with the Whitworth and another local presentation 1860 Tower musket That I am now fortunate to have.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 10:34am
Print Post  
I can't make out the inscription on the presentation plate? Could you tell me what it says?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 4:53am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 5th, 2020 at 10:34am:
I can't make out the inscription on the presentation plate? Could you tell me what it says?

"Presented to Ensign Earles by the Members of the 38th Middlesex RV (Artists) in g
Grateful Remembrance of the many services rendered by him to the Corps March 1864"

IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2020 at 6:18am
Print Post  
A nice early full match rifle. Good to see it still appears to have it's orignal sights. I note a couple of posts make reference to the Civil War - although this rifles isn't of the form exported and used by Sharpshooters. In the Whitworth Research Project we have approaching 700 Whitworth rifles recorded now - I'd love to check serial number and ensure that it is documented. [PM sent]

I have information on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

blackbahart

Reply #19 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 12:29am
Print Post  
very nice

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint