Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black Powder Prairie Dog (Read 13928 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black Powder Prairie Dog
Reply #30 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:53am
Print Post  
"I got the 300 foot model. Two pulls and I'm at 200 yards.  Bout 32 bucks."

Joe,  The one pictured would almost make the record books for size, most of our targets available were the latest hatch so targets were small.   
I graduated from that range finding method when the dual prisms became obsolete.  They were new technology to me Grin when I got them...
This Sig thing with a button on the top is truly a marvel  Wink  Mine is the first gen and I get a lot of looks with it but I can't tell any difference.  All joking aside, as far as price to value if you have a use for a range finder, the Sig has a couple of tiny drawbacks but mine gives me good consistent readings to 1800 yards, now all I need to do is get a little better with these irons to hit targets consistently at that distance...
Craig, when I resorted to the Ballard - things DID change! They were all waving white flags when I was shooting the super fast clang and bang weapon.  Ammo stores were depleting rapidly and there was still daylight...   Wink  -- We are getting some moisture but these little fella's are devastating the vegetation around their colonies, sagebrush look like bonsai trees and the colonies go on for miles.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - May 26th, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Gods country........

I'm better off with a tape measure. Big dog makes me get buck fever so bad my legs won't work and I babble and fumble. Saturday I set off my Pacific trying to decock it during the hunter match. Best I not drop a Sig.

No range close so will use the tape to measure out 200 yards in the wilds round here.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 26th, 2020 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Sure is great seeing activity in this thread again. Greg, that's a nice pup and a real neat rifle. Joe, the price you paid for the range finder was too much- the pawn shops must be full of them for lower prices. Now, all we need is one of our 'well known' members to tell us his favorite recipe for cooking these things.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - May 26th, 2020 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Here's a very traditional way:
Cooked Prairie dog

Prairie dog have been eaten by Navajo people for hundreds of years. Historically, Navajo people had a very lean diet of roots, herbs, nuts, lean meats and—when they could find it–fruits. The introduction of sheep, cattle and horses changed the way Navajos lived, worked, traveled, and ate. Prairie dogs are eaten still, but, Navajo families usually those who are very traditional, purposely plan a day set aside to hunt and cook prairie dogs. The hunting process long-ago involved a method of flooding prairie dogs colonies during a heavy rain and grabbing them and quickly breaking their neck. Or while the flooding of the prairie dogs holes was in the process, Navajo would stand at the opening with clubs and hit them over the head. One had to be quick and careful as prairie dogs have very sharp teeth. Today however, Navajo use a BB gun or 22 rifle. Once they prairie dog’s innards were removed, wild onion and herbs were placed inside the body. Next, a needle and thread was used to sew back the skin and the prairie dog was either placed and completely covered in white coals or directly grilled over an open fire. Once the fur was singed and the cooked prairie dog cooled, it was cut open and consumed. The taste is gamey, tender and some even say the liver and heart is their favorite part to eat.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - May 26th, 2020 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Yup, it’s not quite in the right spirit, but the clickity clacker makes for some fun, especially with ten clips ready to go. Gotta use a little brass catcher, part courtesy, part because it takes a while to dig empties out of the dash vents and other nooks and crannies.

I have a sig range finder in the bag, probably a junk one it ain’t no eighteen hundred yarder, but it doesn’t come out that often. I always have a single shot or two along, but can’t get enough of my favorite revolver out to seventy maybe eightyish yards. These little critters aren’t overly glamorous, but thanks for a fun update from the field.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - May 26th, 2020 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Oneatatime I have book dedicated to various Indian recipes. Might be you also have the same.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - May 26th, 2020 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
"Gotta use a little brass catcher, part courtesy, part because it takes a while to dig empties out of the dash vents and other nooks and crannies."

Craig,
Funny that you mention that, the vents on the ole' "Stealth Ranger" are pert-near full of 22 brass.  There's a whistle when the defrost is on full or a wind-chime rattle when you're bouncing down a washboard gravel road...   Grin Grin Had to make a special nozzle for the shop vac to get a good cleaning once so I don't worry about it much now.  Think if this vehicle ever had to cross the northern border it'd be an item of suspicion... they questioned some empties on the floor boards of another rig I had...

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #37 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Hey Greg,
     Is that a special patented “Forearm Attaching Device” on that Ballard?  The black goes well with the stripes in the Turkish walnut.
Bruce

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - May 26th, 2020 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Bnelson wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:40pm:
Hey Greg,
     Is that a special patented “Forearm Attaching Device” on that Ballard?  The black goes well with the stripes in the Turkish walnut.
Bruce

Bruce,
That is a special feature! it smooths out the vibrations in the barrel  Grin lengthens the "null" points...  Grin Grin Grin and if you believe that I have some real low priced Pope barrels to sell too, but hey, at least the wood comes close to fitting on this rifle.  Several don't even have the forend wood located.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint