Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black Powder Prairie Dog (Read 13924 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Black Powder Prairie Dog
Jan 7th, 2020 at 3:04am
Print Post  
I much prefer to hunt with a Mauser or Springfield bolt rifle.  Did have occasion to stop in Colorado once to shoot a Prairie Dog with my Ballard 25-20SS. Had some BP experimental ammo with me. It was on a trip home from a match at Grand Junction.  Saw a big Prairie Dog town out there on the prairie a ways. Parked near a gate along the interstate and off we went to bag us a dog. I spied a big fat one out there about two hundred yards away. My rifle was sighted for that distance at the match.  Laid down and rested the Ballard on my rolled up shooting mat. Had a twenty power Lyman Super Target Spot on the rifle. When I laid the cross hairs on that dog, everything was crystal clear.  Wind was blowing right to left so I held over what I thought was just right and let one fly. It's amazing how much BP smoke that little shell makes. A full case of FFF under a 111 grain Pope style bullet. Well, it seemed as though time slowed down the instant the powder lit. Chuck told me he could see that bullet make a big arc toward that trophy dog. Then all the sudden he clutched his chest, did two complete spins like a bowling pin, then he wobbled and put a paw on his brow and fell over backwards in a puff of prairie dog town dust. Kicked three times and it was over, I had my dog. It was a great day, one I'll never forget. That was the only time I ever hunted with a single shot. Memories, I get a little misty.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2020 at 3:24am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black Powder Prairie Dog
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Yup, thanks for the great story from out in the field. Sadly, while I'll have a trusty single shot 22lr or two along, I finally decided to cobble up a truck gun semi auto for spring gophers. I used to eat them by the bushel until I found out they were high in cholesterol. Ah, the good ole days from last spring. Maybe, I'll drag a single shot out for winter coyotes and see if I can get a poke at one fairly close up, but I'll probably have a bolt rifle near by.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:24am
Print Post  
But they're high in cholesterol, too;-)

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
If youra gonna eat em, ya havta shoot them skinny ones -- more sporting and better test of your rifle and ammo. Kinda like little grass-fed beefs.  Wink

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
The daily limit here is something like ten thousand, I think. Most guys limit themselves, not for conservation reasons, but limited to  the amount of ammo they can carry or afford to shoot. They sometimes bring home the tails- I guess because they are the choice cut for eating.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:28am
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 4:27pm:
The daily limit here is something like ten thousand, I think. Most guys limit themselves, not for conservation reasons, but limited to  the amount of ammo they can carry or afford to shoot. They sometimes bring home the tails- I guess because they are the choice cut for eating.

Anyone can go out and kill ten thousand with a new fangled repeating rifle. A true sportsman takes just one with a obsolete single shot, with obsolete scope  chambered in an under powered obsolete caliber. Uses black powder and does it with one shot. I'll never forget it. It was a chance of a lifetime for me. As I've already said, the memories, I get a little misty. Brings back memories of my old shootin pard, Chuck.  Dang!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
He's staring at you and thinking, 'if Joe tells me that damn story one more time, I'm gonna slap him.'

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Travel to matches all over the country for thirty years with a shooting buddy, you hear the same story many many times.  Ole Chuck will forgive me. 

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
A beautiful and well told story, Joe. I'm surprised that you didn't tell the rest of it though. You know, the part where when you paced off the distance to the old chuck you found him sprawled on the finest piece of red agate you'd ever found;-)

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thread has been edited and posts removed due to rule violations. 

1/22/20
Posts removed as being off topic.

MI-shooter
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:05pm by MI-shooter »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 7:14pm:
A beautiful and well told story, Joe. I'm surprised that you didn't tell the rest of it though. You know, the part where when you paced off the distance to the old chuck you found him sprawled on the finest piece of red agate you'd ever found;-)

oneatatime, the range was 200 yards. He was a big dog at twelve pounds. Chuck had his fish scale and range finder with him.

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 12:29am
Print Post  
My uncle owned a 160 acre combination dairy farm and also planted corn for people as well as the cows and hay. I asked him one year if it would be ok to come up and shoot some wood chucks. Ok bring plenty of ammo was his reply. Was staying with another aunt and asked if I could stay with her when I came up. Ok on that one. Had a little Rem 788 in 222. Extremely accurate with IMR 4198,Rem brass,rem 7.5 copper primers and a Sierra 53 grain hollow point. Called everyone to let them know I was coming and brought some extra food so my aunt wouldn't have to spend extra. Stop off at the aunts place gave her the food and over to my uncles. He hated wood chucks a with a passion and a cow can break a leg stepping into a chuck hole.Then has to kill it and butcher them. get out in the field by the barn. Big hole. Decide to find a spot and dummy down. Sitting there for an hour when finally up pops MR. Wood chuck. he senses something wrong back down the hold. Does this twice more. My uncle is coming with his tractor a I follow along side to hopefully fool the chuck.  About 1/2 hour up he pops. Boob was like watching a bag of jelley slide back down the hole. This went on all day. 10 critters met their maker. And for my uncle, brand new Stevens 340 in 222. He made a saddle leather scabbard and that stevens went with him. Came back the next day and got 9 more. One of his buddies became curious about the gunshots so we told him we were shooting wood chucks. Don't get me wrong as there was plenty of misses. Funny thing one guy called my uncle to see if I'd come over his place to shoot chucks. wasn't in the cards as had to be back to work in 3 days. Total was 100 wood chucks. Those days are long gone now. My uncle never lost a cow due to a broken leg that whole summer. Sorry for the long story. All of the aunts and uncles are long gone so just the cousins are left. Frank

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 1:57am
Print Post  
I had an uncle that hated rock chucks.  He had a rock pile on a dry hill in the middle of the field.  Those little buggers would mow about 2 acres of alfalfa around that rock pile.  He was just a quarter mile south of us. We blazed away at them with .22s. WE got one once in a while. 

There was a guy that came down the canal bank once in a while while in the evening while we were milking. He would shoot across the hood of hi s pickup.  About a 200 yard shot.  I always wondered what kind of a rifle he had.   Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I would never doubt the truth of Joe's story. The only question I have is where would a 12 pound prairie dog rank in the Boone and Crockett records? Must be pretty near the top!

JS

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I think it came in around third on the B&C, but there's rumour of a twenty-four pounder that'll top the next Pope and Young. Ah, never mind.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint