Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Black powder elk (Read 7742 times)
KFW
Oldtimer

Black powder elk
Dec 16th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Last month I carried my Ballard 40-85 pacific most days, the one day I took my Hawken for a walk I found them. The .58 cal worked with one shot prone.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2019 at 7:23am by KFW »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black powder elk
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Enjoy the pleasures of your harvest and thanks for sharing.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Great job!  I shot one deer with a 58 caliber round ball and was impressed as I had never used a ball in my 50 Hawkens.  Now the great state of California won't let me hunt with lead so my muzzleloaders don't see much action.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Congrats on the elk, nice picture, nice country side. I have no idea what made me think of it, but there's a gas stop in Roundup that has some half way decent road food. Anyway, sorry to drift off a bit.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
KW,
Congrats on the elk!  Getting one with a front stuffer is something!  I'm still in pursuit until the end of the month - I looked at the Gibbs but I'm not going to change up my gear to change my karma, it's going to be with the high wall or not at all... Grin
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Kim,
YOu make me look like a "cheater"  hunting with my 1886
Win lightweight 45-70 for much of my deer hunting over the years
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Arnie
I like big lever guns too, last year toted my 1881 45-70 marlin around. Did throw some lead at coyotes but no Wapiti. Hardest hunt I remember doing is with a Browning '86 win. in 1986.  Was in a raging blizzard in Michigan's upper peninsula...., man was it cold and rude. Still remember the "breeze" coming off lake superior! 
best
kw

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
That's a great deer....nicely done and with a ML too Smiley.
Spud

IP Logged

Just Jim

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Fine looking bull, and a handsome rifle to boot! Did you build it by chance? 

Congrats!

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Well done!  I wish I were there.

Curl

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Just Jim
Yes I built the Hawken(and a Dimick) last year. Made the  lock, triggers, forged guard and 2 pc. forged/brazed buttplate, a early style feature. Its as accurate as I could make could make using my ref. material and looking at the originals in Cody/Helena. I did not make the breech snail, as I probably should have, its the typical late style.
kw

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Very nice elk, and gun! Congratulations! 
I last hunted elk with my .40-85 Pacific also, and the last day of my hunt I had a chance at a nice bull in the morning. But my only shot was through a small opening in the trees, and when I touched it off the bullet clipped a limb and the bull simply trotted off unharmed. That was one of those moments I've played over and over again in my head, and wished I'd been more patient and waited for  better shot. Just glad I didn't wound the bull and have that on my mind forever.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Val
Toting the pacific around the mtns. and hills is sure a work out, they are not light rifles! I have to lots of fencing work here and it reminds of carrying my rock bar around! I have yet to hang mine on my horse, but have slung sharps, no. 1 rollers and such and my '76 rifle on the pony, find I need to frequently shove my saddle over. Risky carrying a rife over the pommel in timber, but sometimes do.
Glad you got a shot though, great fun. Our season runs till feb. for cows here. Gotta love that .40! no problem with a 200 yd shot with a tang sight. The locals here think I am nuts!
kim

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
KFW wrote on Dec 18th, 2019 at 11:09am:
Val
Toting the pacific around the mtns. and hills is sure a work out, they are not light rifles! I have to lots of fencing work here and it reminds of carrying my rock bar around! I have yet to hang mine on my horse, but have slung sharps, no. 1 rollers and such and my '76 rifle on the pony, find I need to frequently shove my saddle over. Risky carrying a rife over the pommel in timber, but sometimes do.
Glad you got a shot though, great fun. Our season runs till feb. for cows here. Gotta love that .40! no problem with a 200 yd shot with a tang sight. The locals here think I am nuts!
kim

I found a slip on sling to help with packing the Pacific around. Mine isn't a huge heavy barrel like my Pacific in .45-70 that the barrel is equal across the flats to the receiver. But it still probably weighs 10-11 lbs. I'd guess. The sling helps, but also is heavy on my old shoulders.
I love the .40 caliber cartridges in general, but for me the .40-85 Ballard is top of the heap! Brass is easily made for it, and mine is very consistent hits on the 650 yd. dinger. At 1000 yds. I'm less consistent, but that's me and not the gun.
I found my Pacific sealed in varnish for decades. The son of the owner told me he and his brother had removed the wood on numerous guns and brushed varnish on the metal of a dozen rifles! Even the rare tall midrange tang sight was varnished! It had all turned a muddy brown color over the decades. The two sons were both in their 80's when he sold it to me.

IP Logged

Just Jim

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
KFW wrote on Dec 18th, 2019 at 7:05am:
Just Jim
Yes I built the Hawken(and a Dimick) last year. Made the  lock, triggers, forged guard and 2 pc. forged/brazed buttplate, a early style feature. Its as accurate as I could make could make using my ref. material and looking at the originals in Cody/Helena. I did not make the breech snail, as I probably should have, its the typical late style.
kw

Wow! Impressive, sir! You don't meet many who have made their own triggers, let alone the lock. I raise my cup o' coffee to you!

And I love the story of the Ballard and it's careful preservation. Hard to imagine anyone doing so today. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint