Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A tough 2019 season ends (Read 3061 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

A tough 2019 season ends
Nov 22nd, 2019 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Hunting was tough this year and Mother Nature took its toll.  I hunted mule deer in eastern Wyoming the last week of October and first part of November on public land where we have enjoyed success in the past.  There were 5 of us going with two pickups pulling trailers from Northern California and myself travelling from southern California alone to meet them in Wyoming.  The day before I left the weather forecast was for a light snow and lows in the mid teens.  I left home in 85 degree weather and drove 550 miles and called it a day.  That night I looked and the forecast had changed to lows below zero!  We got to Wyoming and Interstate 80 was closed from border to border due to high winds and blowing snow.  They opened the road the next morning at 10 am and off we went.  Since I was not pulling a trailer I arrived early and went to check out the campground.  The Forest Service was just locking the gate and closing the camp for the year.  The next morning we headed out to find a campsite and the temperature was -11 with 60 mph gusts.  We shoveled a place for my wall tent and made camp but I decided I was going to town for one more night and not sleep in the tent in those conditions.  We tried to drive out on forest roads to where we normally hunt but most were blocked by drifting snow.  The next morning we tried to get back to camp and during the night the snow had drifted the road closed.  It took all day to get in and get everything out.  My tent frame was destroyed when we were taking the tent down when a 60 mph gust caught it and tried to blow it to Kansas!  It was a balmy -2.  After several attempts to hunt with my 40-70 Hepburn I gave up as every day was at least 40 mph winds and walking in the drifts was more than my artificial hips wanted.  I came home only seeing 4 small bucks that I passed on.  Next it was time to hunt cow elk in New Mexico.  I got there last weekend and the weather was 180 degrees from Wyoming with lows around 30 and highs of 60 and not a speck of snow on any of the mountains.  The elk were heading into the timber right at first light and not coming out until at least sundown.  I saw a cow and a spike with just a few minutes of light left the second night but passed as it was really getting dark.  The last night just at sundown the B-78 300 H&H spoke and one shot, one kill on a nice young cow.  The Hepburn will have to wait another year!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: A tough 2019 season ends
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
The "Donner Party" campsite in Wyoming

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Snow inside tent after one night of 60 mph winds!  Needless  to say we spent the duration of the hunt in a motel.   

Twitter  
IP Logged

338br

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
well done, still a memorable hunt

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Good job Tom!
You have some of the best eating on planet earth in that cow. Our hunting has gone south as the wolves moved in again yesterday on their cyclic territorial roaming. They are usually here for two days and move on. When the wolves are present the woods are much quieter. Do you see/hear them on your elk hunt?

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 11:08am
Print Post  
No wolves in the areas I presently hunt but had to give up on our hunting area on the Boise River when the wolves moved in and ate half the deer.  We would see plenty of deer every day and no wolf tracks.  The next year you would see plenty of deer and a wolf track or two.  By several years later you would see few deer and wolf tracks everywhere.  Finally got to where you could hunt for a week and only see maybe one small buck and certainly no old ones so we gave up and started hunting in eastern Wyoming.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Sometimes we wonder why we do this every year? Then there are those years when everything goes well and it balances out the bad years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Tom, Makes me hungry just seeing the cow elk, I agree best eating you can get. Prefer it to beef. Been another interesting year for weather. Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint