Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Frustrating Moose Season (Read 3816 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

A Frustrating Moose Season
Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I had a shot at this nice bull 75 yards from my stand. I had my Rolling Block with a good black powder load. The only problem was that the moose didn't have the right antler configuration to make him legal. I had three other chances with the same bull, one as close as 20 yards when he came to check me out in the timber. He wanted to see if I was a good looking cow or a another bull to run off. It was hard to leave all that good meat standing there and just walk away.

JS

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: A Frustrating Moose Season
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Not taking him home would have been tough! But having the opportunity to watch him on your hunt is envious!
Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Is the regulation on antlers 50" or minimum of 3 or 4 brow tines? That looks like a pretty good sized moose! I've always wondered how a hunter is able to judge a bull moose to be able to confirm if it meets a particular minimum size? The brow tine thing is easy, but judging antler spread would be tougher.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2019 at 11:02am:
Is the regulation on antlers 50" or minimum of 3 or 4 brow tines? That looks like a pretty good sized moose! I've always wondered how a hunter is able to judge a bull moose to be able to confirm if it meets a particular minimum size? The brow tine thing is easy, but judging antler spread would be tougher.

That's the reason he's not in the freezer. A legal bull has to be a spike or fork on one side, have at least 3 brow tines on one side, or be over 50" total spread. This bull was a 2 x 2 on the brow tines and may have gone 50" or maybe not. I figured that if I shot him he'd be 49 1/2". I get to pack out the meat, surrender it to the Fish & Game, and pay fine of 500 bucks or so. It's not worth the risk. I can hunt right out my house so I always think I'll find another one. Not so this year. Maybe next season.

JS

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
That reminds me of a buck I got that looked legal.  He was standing at an odd angle and wasn't really as visible as he seemed to be.  I don't recall all the details, but if I had had a better view, I would have passed. He was legal by about 1/16"  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing a bit of the Outdoors with us.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I was working with a fellow who grew up in Alaska. One day at lunch we started talking about moose hunting. We didn't know Dave was from Alaska. Of coarse the subject of caliber came up, Dave rolled his eyes. I asked him what was wrong? He blurted out, you don't need no big rifle to kill a moose! You can kill the biggest bull moose with a bbgun. We laughed and rolled our eyes. A couple days later I couldn't stand it. I asked Dave, okay, how do you kill a moose with a bbgun? He said when he was a kid , he and his little brother killed lots of moose with a bbgun. How I asked? He said you hide in the bushes next to a pond where you know a big bull moose will feed in. When a bull moose shows up and he's in the pond you wait till he's pointing away from you . Then sneak up close as you can. He said bb placement is very critical here. Aim directly for the bulls testicles. He added, "you can't miss". When the moose has his head in the water you shoot. This causes him to hump up and suck air, but since his head is under water he drowns. That's how you kill moose with a bbgun.  Dave was quite serious about this hunting method.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I'm just recovering from a similar situation. Grin

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I worked on the north slope of Alaska close to two years while building the Trans-Alaska oil pipeline and I always said that the bull moose was king of the jungle and trumped the grizz.  I never had the opportunity to hunt or fish while in Alaska but sure enjoyed viewing the streams full of grayling and grizzly bears, caribou and moose.  That picture will stay with you a long time thinking about next year when he is 55" and a jillion brow tines!  Love the roller.  I have mine in 38/56 all set to go mule deer hunting next week.  This will be my first hunt using blackpowder and lead bullets in a cartridge rifle and I am really looking forward to it.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
JS 47 I feel your pain. I've hunted area 13 for years. There it is spike fork or 50" or 4 brow tines. I watch and photograph lots more moose than I shoot . I hunt in the mountains. Your moose was defiantly NOT 50". I've shot two bulls where I thought,"quit fretting and shoot he's huge." So I shot. One was 51" the other 53". Thats cutting it too close. Don't get me started on what BS a 50 inch area is. Better luck next year.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I was stationed in Alaska in the USAF at Elmendorf AFB in 1971. We saw huge numbers of moose on the backside of the base up near the Airmen's Club. Mostly at dusk, or after. But we were always excited to see them when we traveled the backroads.
I did a lot of fishing while stationed there, but no hunting. My hunting rifle was back home, and just never bothered shipping it up. Really no place to store one on base between hunts.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint