Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Zika vernier sight question (Read 2290 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Zika vernier sight question
Jun 24th, 2019 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
When I purchased a Hiwall a few months back it came with a nice Zitka sight but I took it off and used a scope to try to develop the most accurate breech seated load in the 32/40.  The rifle came with a newer Douglas barrel in 40/65.  The 32/40 and breech seating kind of got me highly interested so recently I bought a second original Hiwall in 40/65 for a hunting rifle thinking that if the barrel on it was toast I would install the Douglas.  Long story short the original barrel turned out to be a 40-60 rechambered to 40-65 and doesn't shoot for beans.  I put the Douglas on and removed the Lyman Tang sight and put on the Zitka for load development and might even hunt with it.  The Zitka sight has a 30" sight radius and if I do my arithmetic right each graduation on the main slide should move my impact 1" at 100 yards.  There is 0.5" between 0 and the 1 which would be 60 points if I have the nomenclature correct.  The Vernier is pretty basic to go between 0 and 5 points.  So if I am shooting a 400 grain bullet at blackpowder velocities and zero at 50 yards, approximately how many inches would I need to raise the sight to get close at 100 yards?  Then how many more inches would I need to move to get close at 200 yards?  I have no idea what the bc of a Snover bullet is to look on trajectory calculators for my answer.  Also, what would be an approximate bc for a flat point 400 grain bullet?  All loads will be fixed ammo for hunting.  What velocity will a fixed load generate with black with about 50 grains as the bullet takes up quite a bit of capacity.  I might drop down to a 350 grain flat point for hunting to get a tad more velocity.  Only 4 months to hunting season!  Roll Eyes  Tom
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2019 at 10:53pm by Bulseyetom »  
Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: Zitka vernier sight question
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Here is a picture of the sight.

Twitter  
IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
  I've never heard of a Zitka sight before, but it looks just like the ones Frank Zika used to make.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Okay throw me under the bus for mispelling the name.  It takes a 20x lense to see the fine print on the sight!   Cheesy  Anyway, what approximate bc should I use to guess my drop because I have no idea and cant find any listed for 40 caliber rifle bullets.  I can probably hit the 100 yard target after shooting at 50 yards first and leaving my group 3 or 4 inches high but might not ever hit the target at 200 yards without a little coaching on how much to dial in.  Tom   Undecided

Twitter  
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Zika vernier sight question
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Holy Cow! That vernier is scaled for 1/4 minute adjustments. Each number is 1 minute of angle or approx 1" at 100 yards. BC of rifle bullets doesn't matter a great deal at short ranges. What ever bullet you shoot, when you get a 50 yard zero come up 6 or 7 minutes to get on paper at 100 yards. Then come up 15 more minutes to get on paper at 200 yards. You will need to fine tune it after getting on paper. Be sure to write down your results.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Deadeye, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.  Too bad my eyes can't see as good as the sight is graduated!   Lips Sealed  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Bulseyetom wrote on Jun 25th, 2019 at 10:44am:
Deadeye, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.  Too bad my eyes can't see as good as the sight is graduated!   Lips Sealed  Tom

I’ve heard that some of the old timers used a magnifying glass to adjust their vernier type scopes. 

Froggie

IP Logged

sloshooter
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
....Some of the old timers DO use magnifying glasses to adjust their sights....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint