Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1885 "Special Single Shot" (Read 10542 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 1885 "Special Single Shot"
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Dale, I couldn't be happier for you! It's a gorgeous rifle, and I know how much you have desired this particular 1885 version for a long time! It's great when the stars align, and even better when it happens so close to home too!
Hope you and your grail gun have many happy years together!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Wow! That's a really fine looking rifle. Congratulations on achieving your Grail! Best wishes for a long and enjoyable time together. Such a rifle guarantees added years to enjoy it!

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Wow Dale!  It’s beautiful ... congratulations!

Joe

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Really nice rifle and one that must have cost a lot of money when built but why did they finish the barrel like that.
It surely it can't have been to save on cost as that is not spared elsewhere, was it that factory workers did not have the skill to blend in the octagon part into the round or to continue making the octagon narrower at the muzzle or was it just a fad like white line spacers in the fifties, were the special order rifles ever made with tapered octagon or plain round tapered barrels?

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Nero wrote on Mar 23rd, 2019 at 6:53pm:
Really nice rifle and one that must have cost a lot of money when built but why did they finish the barrel like that.
It surely it can't have been to save on cost as that is not spared elsewhere, was it that factory workers did not have the skill to blend in the octagon part into the round or to continue making the octagon narrower at the muzzle or was it just a fad like white line spacers in the fifties, were the special order rifles ever made with tapered octagon or plain round tapered barrels?

My Special Single Shot looks much like the original poster's rifle as far as the transition between the octagonal and the round part.   That model could be ordered with a full octagonal barrel as well.   

I've never seen a round barreled one, but Winchester seemed pretty accommodating.  As an example, see Kurt's Special Sporting rifle which is a slightly different model, but his was ordered in an almost identical configuration.   The main way to identify the Special Single Shot, I think, is the lack of a dovetail for a barrel sight, the Swiss buttplate, and the XXX wood.

Chris.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
A real beautiful sight, those two together. Very, very nice. Dang southpaws...

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Gunlaker, very nice rifles.
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Thanks Kurt.   The top one is the original and the bottom one is a copy of a Special Single Shot that Steven Durren made for me.  I was originally going to ask him to make an exact copy, but in the end decided on a #5 weight full octagon .38-55 barrel rather than the #4 half octagon in .32-40 like on the original.   He sure did a superb job, even the wood is very close.   We went with a Ace of Spades checkering pattern rather than the standard Winchester one.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Over the years I had two high Walls made up for me by John Pell who traded under to Logo of Kogot.
His wife called him that as she told me she thought of him as the Kindly Old Gunsmith of Trinidad as he never charged enough.
Quite a guy as he flew in bombers in the latter part of the war in Europe and fighters in Vietnam.
Always amazed me how accurate these High Walls could be.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2019 at 4:41am by Nero »  

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Gorgeous,never tire looking at a fine rifle.......

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Hey Chris, What a beautiful pair of 1885's. Winchester knew what they were doing when they came up with the Special Sporting and Special Single shot rifles. Steve sure knows what he's doing. Matter of fact, I'm sending him my Special tomorrow to have afew minor issues taken care of. What twist rate does your 38-55 have ? Just wondering. With that #5 barrel I take it it's a bench rifle ? Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Dale it's approximately 1:15.    It's a BRC barrel, and yeah the idea was definitely for bench shooting.   

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #27 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Nero wrote on Mar 23rd, 2019 at 6:53pm:

Nero,
That IS a tapered octagon on this Special Single Shot 1885. It might not be the taper you like or are used to seeing on other makes, but it is a tapered Winchester barrel. I'd guess only maybe .010" taper, but enough to just make them look nice.
The transition from octagon to round is typical of every US maker in the late 1800's and early 1900's. All the American gun makers used an abrupt change to go from octagon to round. I've seen some European guns that just gradually transition to round, and it always looks strange, or amateurish to my eyes. Probably because I'm used to seeing them done in this manner.

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
WT1885 & gunlaker,

You are truly blessed to have such nice 85's. I've dreamt of owning one of those Special Sporting Rifles since I first held one 40 years ago.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Very nice rifles. Military and fowling pieces had round barrels. Most sporting rifles had full octagon barrels
Just curious about half round barrels: Were they widely used prior to the Creedmoor match era? 
Gunsmiths were working real hard to meet the weight limits.
If well known match shooters were using them, then the public accepted them.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint