Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Winchester 1885 High Wall Varminter in .220 Swift (Read 12247 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Winchester 1885 High Wall Varminter in .220 Swift
Reply #30 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Picked up the Low Wall this morning and took it to the range.  Miserable day and poured rain, but my shooting buddy and I persevered regardless and shot for 2 1/2 hours.  That little 3/4" Unertl Small Game looks perfect on the .22 WCF Low Wall so it will live on there steadily now.  Took a bit of adjustment, but finally got it on paper at 100 yards with some 80 to 90 year old .22 WCF ammo I had.  About 2 out of 3 were "duds" and the ones that did fire mostly hang-fired up to about 1/2 second which made for some interesting shooting.  Also lots of smoke and sparks out of the muzzle with lots of powder residue left in the barrel.  At least I got to shoot it today and after adjustments it was keeping the rounds that did fire in an 8" bull target at 100 yards.  I need to break in my NOE 45 grain plain base .228" mould and load some fresh ammo to try next time.

Also shot the Low Wall in .38 WCF and managed to get it on paper at 100 yards too, although the sight picture was a challenge.  The front sight pretty much covered the entire target at 100 yards so most of it was guess-work.  Tried adjusting the single set trigger but couldn't get it to set.  Ran the screw all the way out and then down until it was bottomed out, but couldn't get it to set in any position.  I'll have to pull the buttstock to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it, and if not then I'll soak the trigger mechanism with some solvent, clean it, and then see what happens.

All in all a good day at the range regardless of the weather ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

RemFan
Participating Member

Reply #31 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
If thats a pre-70 barrel it will be a 26" stainless,  I bought a pre-70, 220 swift a lot of years ago.  It had about 6 inches washed almost out ahead of the chamber.  I sent the barrel to Ackley and had it bored out to a 7mm.  Then put the barrel back on and chambered it to a 7mm Rem Mag.  made a really great hunting rifle.  if yours is washed out you might want to consider making it into a 25-06 if you want a varmint  rifle that will reach out there and touch em.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I prefer old, traditional cast bullet calibres in my single shots and have still been mulling over what to re-barrel this HW into.  I've been considering a Ron Smith re-barrel into .32-40 or .38-55 or maybe even .38-56 WCF since I already have dies for it and several suitable moulds.  Failing that I don't have a .40-65 WCF at the moment either, although I have other .40 calibre rifles including an original .40-82 WCF HW. A .45-90 might be interesting to play with?  I have a .50-70 Govt. in a NY Militia Rolling Block rifle, but another .50-70 or even a .50-90 might be fun too.  Decisions, decisions ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
PS: I just got a reproduction set of lens covers / dust covers for that 6 power Unertl Small Game scope I put onto my LW from "pronechamp".  They were very reasonably priced and VERY well made.  If you need to replace any missing Unertl lens caps / dust covers I'd drop him a line ...

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Al,
My vote is for the 38-56.  I just had Manson grind a reamer up for this - my dies I'd picked up were a set of Redding and fortunately I thought to run a few brass through it before just ordering the reamer...  When I ordered the reamer, Dave sent me a print and asked that since there were several slight variations to that cartridge - compare his drawing to what the die produced.  The body angle and length on mine was slightly different but the big difference was the shoulder and neck dimensions.  Dave made the corrections so the reamer and die would be real close.   He said it would probably be a month or two for delivery as he was back logged, I told him that wasn't a problem, I was building the rifle and it'd be longer than that before I got it done - it showed up in a couple of weeks- They are fantastic folks there.
NOW, I changed my other mind, the action I was going to put this on is still a long ways out- but there's a Highwall with a cobbled set of set triggers that's just screaming for this barrel - (I can hear it  Smiley).  Wonder what wood I'm going to use? and what other little feature do I want to make to make this one different? It was just a poor orphaned little parts action that's getting a new lease on life...  Grin 
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint