Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reworked Martini (Read 3887 times)
ratseye

Reworked Martini
Nov 30th, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I am fairly new to the board but I am going to chance posting a project I just finished. I purchased it as a sporting MH over thirty years ago and had a lot of good fun with it until I got the bug to turn it into a Creedmoor style target gun. It had an interesting scope arrangement on it in that the mounts were offset and fixed so if you needed to adjust the point of aim you had to gently bend the scope. I tossed around the idea of keeping it take way but eventually decided it needed a better sighting system. The bases were sweated off and the barrel and receiver stripped and rust blued. I bought a nice English walnut blank and proceeded to fit it up and install a Silvers type pad. So far this was the easy part. 

Bending the lever was a trial that had blood shooting out of my eyes before it was done because it refused to bend without cracking even at red heat. So it was bend and fill the whole way until it was perfect. Then after polishing it for fire blue, I was admiring my work and dropped it on the floor. One of the cams snapped off and it was instant junk. Another lever was ordered and the process repeated. The pins and indicator were fire blued with the completed lever. An order was placed with MVA for an "A" model scope in 10X with front elevation adjustable mount. This coupled with a high rear base should give the long range capability I am looking for. The stock finished and checked without incident. Several different loads have been worked up but the best group to date was 8/10ths for five at 100 yards. It might even be competitive. This is the only photo I have currently. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Reworked Martini
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Well Done!

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
That looks great. I look forward to hearing more about the rifle Smiley What cartridge is the rifle chambered for?
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind words. It is still in the original 577-450 M-H cartridge. I find it a very interesting cartridge to load for and quite accurate. ratseye

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Nice to see a well executed large frame Martini! That should do quite well at Creedmoor typical distances!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that. I like the look of the Martini, it's a little different from the others. I also have three small frame Martini's.  Two favorites I have are a Cody Ballard and a L. Romano Spenser SS.  Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
That, sir, is an attractive rifle. I seldom find myself much pleased by the average Martini, despite respecting their ability to shoot well. This one sure makes up for the most of 'em. Neat caliber, too.

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the compliment. I think they have a special look to them myself. The cartridge is an interesting one and I am working on different fillers at the moment. The gun seems to favor a lighter bullet but the difference between three different weights is pretty narrow now and I am fine tuning things. Thanks again, ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
You do very nice work and the rifle is very charming indeed Ratseye.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Thank you very much. I am a sucker for a nice piece of wood and think a great piece of walnut would make even a crowbar look good. It's becoming more difficult to do the fine work as my eyes get older but I still enjoy it. Thanks again, ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Oh the Golden Years Ratseye and why they came up with Depends for Men.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:30am
Print Post  
You are right about that, at this age everything "depends"! Thanks, rats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint