Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1885 Varmint Rifle in 219 Zipper (Read 3816 times)
SmallBoreBuyer

1885 Varmint Rifle in 219 Zipper
Oct 25th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I saw this online somewhat locally (Shooters Choice in Waterloo), and got it, mostly for the action.

It is a 1913 High Wall, 26" barrel, 219 Zipper, single set trigger. with a Litschert 8x scope.

Comments are welcome.

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2018 at 1:57pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 1885 Varmint Rifle in 219 Zipper
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Great single set trigger action, and a great scope. If the price was right, you've got the basis for a nifty rifle!

What caliber do you plan to make it?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Indeed, a great starting point. You can likely have the wood run through a pattern-machine (CPA, Treebone, etc.) and save a great deal of work on the wood. Can have the barrel lined or bored & rifled if it is a length/weight that works for you needs.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
Great single set trigger action, and a great scope. If the price was right, you've got the basis for a nifty rifle!

What caliber do you plan to make it?

Thinking on 25 Hornet.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Nice classic varmint rifle! You did very well! Have a barrel installed and leave the wood as is for now. That stock may work just fine for you.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
If the bore is still good I'd leave it as a Zipper. It was and still should be a good varmint cartridge.

JS

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Congrats and a real nice find indeed! Do with it as your little heart desires and make it a personal fit of your own liking.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Well,

I was very excited when I got the rifle.  The wood in the buttstock is really beautiful.

I took off the forend to see if there were any clues as to who made the stock, did the gunsmithing, etc.  Unfortunately the gunsmith had welded a rod to the action to float the barrel off the forend.   

I am guessing it shoots fine, but since I was going to use the action in a build with a much finer forend, I had to send the rifle back.

I was girding myself for a fight with the retailer, but they responded immediately, apologized for the oversight, gave me shipping directions and told me to send them the bill for the return shipping.  This was with no pushing from me - this was their default response.

Since people can be quick to criticize a seller when things don't work out, I thought I should offer praise to Shooter's Choice in Waterloo for perfectly handling a potentially confrontational, or worse, situation.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:02am:
John:

I know you are considering a new RKS barrel.

You could also have Ron Smith rebore your existing barrel to 25 Hornet (greatly reduce your costs) unless you wish to keep the 219 Zipper as a switch barrel.

Dave

That Hornet case is not going to fit into a .219 Zipper chamber without some extra work. it is too small in diameter and too short.
just sayin'

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Too bad it didn't work out.  I had a look at their web site and the price was pretty good.   I bought some stuff from them quite a few years ago and they seemed like nice people.

I see that Shooters Choice in Alberta has a highwall for sale too.   It's a fine example of "crimes against single shots".    I wonder what percentage of Winchester 1885's escaped being converted into something far less good.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Atticus

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
SmallBoreBuyer wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
Well,

I was very excited when I got the rifle.  The wood in the buttstock is really beautiful.

I took off the forend to see if there were any clues as to who made the stock, did the gunsmithing, etc.  Unfortunately the gunsmith had welded a rod to the action to float the barrel off the forend.  

I am guessing it shoots fine, but since I was going to use the action in a build with a much finer forend, I had to send the rifle back.

I was girding myself for a fight with the retailer, but they responded immediately, apologized for the oversight, gave me shipping directions and told me to send them the bill for the return shipping.  This was with no pushing from me - this was their default response.

Since people can be quick to criticize a seller when things don't work out, I thought I should offer praise to Shooter's Choice in Waterloo for perfectly handling a potentially confrontational, or worse, situation.

I did the same thing with that rifle, I bought it seen the fore arm hanger had been welded and I did not like the way it looked so they took it back and I bought the 222rimmed they had instead.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint