Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal (Read 7307 times)
shafer44
Participating Member

Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal
Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I just got a Stevens 44 22lr.  The mainspring is very stout and my trigger pull is 6-1/2 lbs.  I have been told to remove the spring and cut a coil off of it to lessen the hammer pull and subsequently, it should lessen the trigger pull.  This spring is on a plunger looking piece like the 1915 Favorite, I believe, or somewhat like it.  How do i get the spring off?  The spring is in an end piece that has a semi circular end that fits in the groove of the screw in the tang.  It is a very strong spring and  I  can't seem to move it enough to remove it.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Make a coil spring compressor?    Undecided

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Did you trip the trigger to allow the hammer to fall all the way forward, thus releasing spring tension?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Does your strut have a small pin hole drilled into its shank so that when you rotate the hammer fully to the rear (compressing the coil mainspring), you can then slip a small pin (or the tip of a pin punch) into that hole, allowing you to keep the coil mainspring compressed upon the strut when you then rotate the hammer fully forward, thereby relieving the coil mainspring tension upon the hammer, and then allowing you to wiggle the strut and coil mainspring (as a one piece assembly) out of the action?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

shafer44
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
no, it does not have a pin hole.  I finally got it off, and yes I had the hammer fully released.  The spring is very stiff.  It takes pretty good effort to pull the hammer back to fire.  The trigger pull is also 6.5 lbs and too much to be a good shooter as it is.  I would like to find another spring that has less compression strength.  I cut 1/2 coil off and it did not change very much, maybe a few ounces.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
shafer44 wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:21pm:
The spring is very stiff.  It takes pretty good effort to pull the hammer back to fire.

Doesn't sound like it's the original Stevens spring.  Heavy spring pressure is hard on the sear tip--may cause it to fracture.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Getting a replacement might end up with the same spring again, or heavier. So best to either cut another coil to see if it helps, or take it to the hardware store and see if they have a similar length/diameter compression spring, but smaller diameter material to give lighter feel.
Either way you're going to need it lighter, so measure OAL before you go any further cutting coils. That way you'll know what you started with later.
I've also put a screw through the middle of coil springs to hold them, and then taken down outside diameter to lighten the spring tension. I use my belt sander to do this, and keep a dish of water handy to ensure it never gets too hot.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

shafer44
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Thanks,  marlinguy.  Oops, I did not measure before starting, but I have cut 1/2 coil at a time and have cut 1-1/2 coils.  It is a bit lighter now, but best bet is going to be find a spring the same inside diameter that is a little lighter.  If i cut too much more off, then when  I put the end piece on to mate up with the groove in the screw, it could get too short to do so.  Trigger pull has not dropped drastically, basically went from 6.5# to about 5# now.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Shortening a coil spring reduces the preload, but it actually increases the spring rate.  Better to find a similar length spring wound with the same number of turns from a slightly smaller diameter wire. 

Would be interested to know the s/n of the O.P.'s rifle, so as to maybe establish when in the sequence the coil spring strut commenced.   

<div class=

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:11am
Print Post  
A 44 or a 417?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:14am
Print Post  
I just posted this on another thread:  To remove the spring from a 44 or a Favorite, open the action, then let the hammer down into the space vacated by the breechblock.  This will remove all or almost all of the preload, and the spring can then be plucked out with the fingers.  Worst case you may have to take the breeckblock completely out to get the hammer forward far enough.

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:16am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:11am:
A 44 or a 417?

Sure would like to see pics.

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:25am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:11am:
A 44 or a 417?

The man said it was a 44.  Considering the radically different configuration of a 417, how could there be any confusion?   

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
What's so "radically different" between two "Ideal" actions?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
For a wide variety of springs I’ve had good luck buying springs for the Borchardt from MSC.  Beats any hardware store.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint