Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal (Read 7318 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal
Reply #30 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 10:40pm:
BP wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
Just curious, Redsetter,
What kind of gunsmithing have you personally performed?

Just curious, BP, what is the logical relevance of that question to anything previously posted on this thread?  Seems to be no more than a transparent effort to efface the absurdity of your implication that Shafer might be confusing a 44 with a 417. Please, we ALL know that the 417 was derived from the 44, so you needn't rehash that bit of common knowledge.  

Just curious, Redsetter, why you are ducking the question, and in which reply you imagined your implication that I referenced a 417 in this thread?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 4:29am
Print Post  
I bought my last flat 44 mainsprings from S&S, the outfit that sells a lot of Civil War gun parts and regalia.  They work well on a couple 44s I’ve married together from parts.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 4:32am
Print Post  
I also have a couple of the arch style from S&S.  Have not used one yet, but they look right.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #33 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
[quote author=5B6B70787749190 link=1541805788/28#28 date=1541898796

Shafer might be confusing a 44 with a 417. Please, we ALL know that the 417 was derived from the 44, so you needn't rehash that bit of common knowledge.  

Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the 417 a pistol grip stock, lower tang? Since we already know Shafer's Stevens is straight stocked, wouldn't that eliminate the 417?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:13am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:54am:
Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the 417 a pistol grip stock, lower tang? Since we already know Shafer's Stevens is straight stocked, wouldn't that eliminate the 417?

Of course!  Furthermore, though Shafer asked for advice about a specific problem he was having, he never expressed confusion about which model Stevens he had, though for lack of anything more relevant to say, some here implied that he didn't know what he was talking about.

IP Logged

shafer44
Participating Member

Reply #35 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
I will clear the air a little.  I am not a Stevens expert, so I have asked my friend Vall and he, knowing much more than me had me check several things to ensure that it was a 44.  First, I measured the thickness of the receiver to eliminate it from being in the "boy's rifle" category.  The receiver measures 1.158" thick, that eliminates it from the boy's category.  The rifle has 79XXX on the lower tang and has "44" stamped on the lower tang also.  Taking the forearm off, the face of the receiver has an "S" on one side and "0" on the other and on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm, it also is stamped 79XXX.  The barrel is completely round, no half octagon, half round like most I have looked up.  The barrel measures 26".  Also, when I took the buttstock off, I found the plunger and coil spring mainspring, not a flat type spring like older ones.  The serial number as I understand, puts it in the late production of 44's.  Both upper and lower tang screws are wood screws that screw into the buttstock, unlike some other rifles I have that have a machine screw that screws into a threaded hole on the lower tang. The rifle weighs about 7.5#.  Now, I am at the point of trying to find a coil spring at least 1.5" long, outside diameter 0.275", wire size 0.040" and a spring rate of 20-30 lbs/ft.  That is what I know.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:13am:
marlinguy wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:54am:

Of course!  Furthermore, though Shafer asked for advice about a specific problem he was having, he never expressed confusion about which model Stevens he had, though for lack of anything more relevant to say, some here implied that he didn't know what he was talking about.

BP wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
Just curious, Redsetter,
What kind of gunsmithing have you personally performed?

Just curious, BP, what is the logical relevance of that question to anything previously posted on this thread?  Seems to be no more than a transparent effort to efface the absurdity of your implication that Shafer might be confusing a 44 with a 417. Please, we ALL know that the 417 was derived from the 44, so you needn't rehash that bit of common knowledge.  

Reading back through my posts, I don't see anything I wrote that questioned or implied that shafer44 had anything other than a 44.
I'd like to know in precisely which of my replies I'm supposed to have made that claimed implication.
Please provide the specific # of the reply in which I am supposed to have made that claimed implication.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2018 at 1:04pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #37 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Since we know the mainspring looks like this, and it's a straight grip, it should be a 44, unless somebody more knowledgeable can tell us different?

I'd probably use an old screwdriver to make a spring compressor from. Split the tip of a large flat blade screwdriver, and reshape it so it's forked and fits between the strut and the retaining screw. Then a simple push on the handle would dislodge the strut from the retaining screw to allow easy removal and reinstallation.

IP Logged

shafer44
Participating Member

Reply #38 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the spring was very strong and proved to be a challenge getting it off, I took vice grips and grabbed the end piece, pushed back and off to the side of the screw post.  It was super tight, but only extended 1/4 to 1/2 inch after releasing it, so it did not try to fly across the room.  I chucked up the spring in a drill and held it inside folded sandpaper and removed some of the od.  Then i switched ends and did it again.  The trigger pull is now down to about 4 lbs, thanks to Vall's suggestion.  I need to take a little more and still want to get a new lighter spring.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I wonder if it had one of the speedlock springs as on the 417/418? Does the hammer have a half cock notch? I should have played with it more in the shop. Probably should have bought it but I already had a 414.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Just to toss another bundle of fuel on the fire..... Roll Eyes  the 79xxx serial number absolutely precludes its' being a 417.  The 417 had its' own number sequence, and it never got even close to 79 thousand.  I have logged 414s, which are numbered in the 44 sequence, up into the 90xxx range, along with a couple of 44s in .22LR.   So yes, it's a late specimen, possibly 1930 to 1932.   

Vall's idea of thinning down the spring is exactly analogous to what I do to use Wisners' heavy arch springs in early Favorites. A perfectly good solution.  

On general principles, I polish the area that I sanded to as high a shine as possible, using progressively finer grades of abrasive. This wipes out deep scratches which can act as loci for crack formation.   

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
What I do with coil springs. I find a machine screw long enough to run through the coil spring and protrude a fair amount. I cut the head off and then put the screw through the coil spring. I put a nut on each end, and then chuck one end up in my battery drill. Then I run the nut down until the spring is fully compressed.
Once it's compressed I use my belt sander to take down thickness. I turn the drill on and spin the spring the opposite direction of the belt sander, while holding the coils against the belt. It takes little time to turn them down, and turning the coil spring with the drill leaves the finish smooth, but reduced. I keep a cup of water handy to cool the spring.
Once it's reduced I spin the outer nut off with my nut driver and test the spring in the gun. If it needs more I reinstall on the machine screw and work it down some more.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Given the relatively few cycles per year that a 44 mainspring will experience, I'd consider it a permanent repair.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint