Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal (Read 7327 times)
shafer44
Participating Member

Re: Stevens 44 22lr mainspring removal
Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Per Marlinguy, it is a 44, serial number is 79XXX, so a newer 44.  I am on a mission today to find a lighter spring.  I don't really know where to go except checking Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware.  I took a spring from my stash of Wolf springs for my Sig P226 and clipped one of them that was 18#, but that seemed a bit light for the hammer fall, but it did reduce the trigger pull to around 2 lbs.  I am going to try to find a smaller diameter wire spring in the maybe 25#/in rate of compression.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:39am:
What's so "radically different" between two "Ideal" actions?

Stevens sold rifles, not actions.  "Configuration" means barrel, stocks, sights, every other detail of construction.  And even the levers of the two models were radically different!  The question implies that Shafer isn't sharp enough to tell the difference.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I've never been able to simply "pluck out" a coil spring mainspring after letting the hammer completely down. It's still got enough preload that it takes pliers or a screwdriver to push forward in order to dislodge it from the notch in the retaining screw.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
shafer44 wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 11:47am:
Per Marlinguy, it is a 44, serial number is 79XXX, so a newer 44.  I am on a mission today to find a lighter spring.  I don't really know where to go except checking Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware.  I took a spring from my stash of Wolf springs for my Sig P226 and clipped one of them that was 18#, but that seemed a bit light for the hammer fall, but it did reduce the trigger pull to around 2 lbs.  I am going to try to find a smaller diameter wire spring in the maybe 25#/in rate of compression.

The source that almost undoubtedly has the spring you're looking for is Brownell's--but how to find it among the thousands they handle is the great problem!  If you had an original spring, you could send it to them & ask them to match it, but of course you don't.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Try contacting CPA Gail could possibly have one.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:13pm:
I've never been able to simply "pluck out" a coil spring mainspring after letting the hammer completely down. It's still got enough preload that it takes pliers or a screwdriver to push forward in order to dislodge it from the notch in the retaining screw.

Take the breechblock completely out, then.  The hammer can then fall so far forward that the spring will literally fall out.  One of my "lessons learned" as a Model 44 newbie.  Had to take the buttstock off to put it right.  Unless the OEM coil strut is a good deal longer than the one I once made, before I discovered that Wisners had the flat ones. 
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:14pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Try this search on Amazon:  coil spring compression mechanical

Do not omit the word mechanical, or you'll get hundreds and hundreds of hits for automotive suspension springs.

A thing that's useful to realize, when searching for a coil spring:

A coil spring can be thought of as a torsion bar wrapped into a helix.  The only two dimensional factors that determine the rate are the length of the wire, and its' diameter.

More wire = softer, and vice versa.  Thicker wire = stiffer, and vice versa.  This epiphany explains why shortening a coil spring actually increases its' rate, even while reducing the preload.

Tuning the suspensions for my race bikes taught me that.  I've never seen it written down anywhere, which is a shame.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:28pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:01pm:
Unless the OEM coil strut is a good deal longer than the one I once made, before I discovered that Wisners had the flat ones. 

Wisner's lists the 1915 Favorite spring, except that they seem to be out of stock at the moment.  Would that be too short for the one needed on the late 44s?   

IP Logged

shafer44
Participating Member

Reply #23 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
yeah, i  looked there and saw the Favorite one.  I need to call them and see the size and length of it.  My current spring has a .273" outer diameter, the spring wire is 0.052" and the length is 1.5".  I need to find the same size, except 0.040" dia. wire, which I think would be closer to the correct compression rate.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Any local Hobby Store that deals with airplanes etc. typically has a large variety of piano spring wire on hand in two foot lengths and its also very reasonable at least at our local Hobby store it is.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Try calling Wolff... Brownell's sells a lot of their springs.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
The arch type springs used in early Favorites are a direct replacement for the Model 44, except for the thickness of the spring stock, that I know.  So I'd infer that the struts and coil springs would interchange as well.  I wouldn't blindly trust Wisner to have the right rate of coil spring, though.  They sell a 44-weight spring as being for Favorites, which gives you a Favorite that needs two hands to cock!

<div class=

IP Logged

shafer44
Participating Member

Reply #27 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I am going to call Wolf, i have the diameters of the current spring, I will just see if they have some on each side of what I think i need.  Also located another "spring guy" that I emailed to see if he had any

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
BP wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:39am:
What's so "radically different" between two "Ideal" actions?

Stevens sold rifles, not actions.  "Configuration" means barrel, stocks, sights, every other detail of construction.  And even the levers of the two models were radically different!  The question implies that Shafer isn't sharp enough to tell the difference.

Just curious, Redsetter,
What kind of gunsmithing have you personally performed?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
Just curious, Redsetter,
What kind of gunsmithing have you personally performed?

Just curious, BP, what is the logical relevance of that question to anything previously posted on this thread?  Seems to be no more than a transparent effort to efface the absurdity of your implication that Shafer might be confusing a 44 with a 417. Please, we ALL know that the 417 was derived from the 44, so you needn't rehash that bit of common knowledge.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint