Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps 1878 Freund modified (Read 1486 times)
kensmachine
Oldtimer

Sharps 1878 Freund modified
Nov 7th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I got my freund Book out after Joe posted the picture of a 1878 action and butt stock that to me looked like a Freund modified action. Pablo's book shows a lot of 1874 and Rolling Blocks but not much in the way 1878's. At one time a long time ago I talked to a guy in Florida that told me he had one he save from being welded into a gate. He told me that Pablo was very interested in the 1878 he had and that Pablo book had just came out when he found the rifle.  It looks like the Freund's patterned almost everything they did does anyone know the pattern numbers for the 1878's modaftions. One thing that got me going on this is a butt stock I picked up at the Oregon arms sunday show its a 1878 butt stock that has a trapdoor butt plate that is a modified Sharps butt plate  and a pistol grip added to a straight grip butt stock found pictures of both in the Freund Book. The butt stock is busted bad at the action. Thanks Ken

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps 1878 Freund modified
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I think Pablo’s book has all the Freund patents in it. There was a picture of a Freund modified 1878 in the ASSRA magazine years ago. It did not say what was done to it. Looked like maybe a safety on top of the b block, perhaps a camming block. I don’t think a double extractor is very likely.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Ordinarily, I wouldn't mention these guys.  But a "busted bad" Freund M1878 butt stock is, in my opinion, worth what they will charge for a sound and nearly undetectable repair/restoration.  So consider contacting either or both The Stockmaker in Burbank, Washington or The Stock Doctor in Tygh Valley, Oregon; both have good web sites.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I will testify that the Stock Doctor did a superb job on one of my rifles and for a very reasonable price I thought.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint