Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks (Read 9534 times)
SmallBoreBuyer

Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks
Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Hello All,

I am currently spec-ing out a CPA rifle and now choosing the stock.

I am leaning toward the Stevens 52 pattern.

Wood selection has been more challenging than I anticipated.

Somewhere in my mind there is a thought that the rifle requires a certain historical dignity and respect with regard to the selection of a wood blank for the stock.

There are woods, like Claro walnut, that offer a lot of visual punch, particularly for the price.

Were any old single shots stocked with Claro (or Bastongne) back in the day?

Does that matter?

Is it too garish (personal opinion, I understand)?

Some of the expensive “Turkish” walnut appeals, but is it appropriate here?

I realize this is largely all a matter of opinion, but there is no shortage of those around here, and I a guessing many have pondered these same questions.

Also, it seems that for a righty, the right side is the more important side to choose on, given that the cheekpiece, etc., will tend to obscure a particular pattern, in any case.

John

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:22pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Re: Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Sorry - I didn't mean to pick on Claro.  I meant that the more highly figured Claro blanks can be a lot to look at, as can some of the English/Turkish/Circassian blanks.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
While "back in the day" there was much more to readily choose from that was American-grown, even east pf the Mississippi, my own research suggests that walnut from England and France was then considered the "best".  Still, whatever the source, in my own mind stability and grain direction are more important than "eye candy", though it's nice to have all three.  So, if it were my project, I'd explain my wants and needs to Cecil Fredi, let him pick 3-4 blanks, and choose from among those with complete confidence.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Agree with the 52 Stevens stocking and CPA has some real nice wood and typically at a lesser cost and higher grade at no extra charge. The wood on my CPA Scheutzen Junior / 52 and just extra fancy far exceeds the higher grades from others that I have seen and at quite abit of a lesser cost. Just talk it over with Gail and she will share pictures of what the various grades she has on hand would look like when finished. Their blanks are also shown on their web site along with the pricing for you look at and to choose from.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:20pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:56pm:
While "back in the day" there was much more to readily choose from that was American-grown, even east pf the Mississippi, my own research suggests that walnut from England and France was then considered the "best".  Still, whatever the source, in my own mind stability and grain direction are more important than "eye candy", though it's nice to have all three.  So, if it were my project, I'd explain my wants and needs to Cecil Fredi, let him pick 3-4 blanks, and choose from among those with complete confidence.

Bill Lawrence

Hi Bill,

I, literally, just sent three pictures to Cecil, to show him three stocks I like.

If you have a half an hour to kill, here is a link to an interview with Cecil and a tour of his warehouse.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

John
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:41pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
A nice example of CPA's Extra Fancy to look at not sure what Cecil's pricing would be for the same just thought I would pass it on and there are also several others to look at and I believe two pages worth.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Just remember that you will undoubtedly be adding more barrels for your CPA in the future and will need additional matching forends. I lucked out. Many years before I even knew about CPAs I purchased a stock blank long enough for a full length stock. The wood had just been cut near Ft Collins, Colorado, and the blank weighed over 25 pounds. I waxed the ends and stored it in the basement. Every year on the anniversary of the purchase I reweighed the blank. Between years 9 and 10 there was no additional loss. So when I ordered my CPA with 2 barrels I sent them the blank. They got the 52 butt stock and wood for 3 forends out of it. They kept the third piece for me and used it when I ordered the third barrel a couple of years later. So get some matching foreend wood while you can.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Another good option would be to simply keep all of the barrels the same profile and to just move the original forend from one barrel to next and to simply give it some prior thought to what you might like to have down the road. Also if the original is going to be checkered it would save you quite a bit of money only have to do the one and it will always look correct no matter what barrel it is put on.

JLouis

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
True, but then you decide you'd like one with a 4 weight or maybe even a 2 weight instead of a 3 and you're off on a wood hunt after the fact. And CPA's English walnut blanks are a bargain!
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:45pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:07pm:
Just remember that you will undoubtedly be adding more barrels for your CPA in the future and will need additional matching forends. I lucked out. Many years before I even knew about CPAs I purchased a stock blank long enough for a full length stock. The wood had just been cut near Ft Collins, Colorado, and the blank weighed over 25 pounds. I waxed the ends and stored it in the basement. Every year on the anniversary of the purchase I reweighed the blank. Between years 9 and 10 there was no additional loss. So when I ordered my CPA with 2 barrels I sent them the blank. They got the 52 butt stock and wood for 3 forends out of it. They kept the third piece for me and used it when I ordered the third barrel a couple of years later. So get some matching foreend wood while you can.

Just so I am clear, oneatatime, are you are telling me to buy threeatatime?

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:57pm:
A nice example of CPA's Extra Fancy to look at not sure what Cecil's pricing would be for the same just thought I would pass it on and there are also several others to look at and I believe two pages worth.

1072A sure is a pretty piece of wood.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
So true Oneatatime it all depends on future use requirements or possibly a compromise and why it should be given some prior thought. Just throwing it all out there in hopes the words if had to do it all over again never have to be spoken.

IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I have a CPA model # 52 and when I ordered it I got two barrels and both centerfire and rimfire breach blocks. The centerfire barrel is a Shilen 32-40 1:14 twist. The rimfire barrel is a Douglas XX 22lr. I live 5 1/2 hours away from CPA so I drove up there and selected my own wood. I paid some extra for the fancy walnut and if I had to do it again I would choose Fancy walnut. 
I now have four barrels----22 LR, 32-40, 25-35 win. and a 30-30 Wesson.   LOL.   never say never.

A. J. Palik

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Beautiful piece of wood and quite typical of it just being CPA's Fancy grade and thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I have both a 52 and a 49. I have a 22rf barrel for each. I also have two more barrels for the 49 which is much easier to handle on the bench than the 52 due to less drop in the stock. It's not nearly so tippy. Both are comfortable offhand but I seem to hit my 6" 100 yd gong more often with the 49. (Maybe I should say that I miss less frequently with the 49.) Also, as has been discussed in another thread, get yourself a butt plate like the one on Oldman's rifle.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint