Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks (Read 9547 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks
Reply #30 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:29pm:
I'm surprised Vall mentioned rosewood for rifle stocks.  In my experience working with the real stuff - now largely classed as "endangered" - while it takes a high polish and almost always has at least a nicely contrasting grain, it's also a brittle wood.  In other words, I've often seen it used for pistol grips, forearm and grip caps, and other small and/or accent pieces; but I'd be very wary of using it for a whole rifle stock, especially if the chambering had a literal "kick" to it.

Bill Lawrence

Bill, 
Marlin used the straightest grain wood for guns with a fair amount of recoil. Even those guns like the #7 A-1 with engraving and deluxe features often got fairly straight grain wood to remain strong and stable with the .45-100 Ballard chambering. 
Rosewood being quite decorative, but not that stable, seemed to be used in presentation type guns, and not in bigger calibers. I'd assume it was also tough to work with, and more labor consuming to build a stock.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Probably the best - and worst - characteristic of true rosewood is its natural oiliness.  To the good, that's why all by itself it takes such a high polish, and once properly dried is usually dimensionally stable.  To the bad, you must flush that oil out of the surface pores and apply a sealer before you top coat.  And because it's brittle rather than just tough or hard, your cutters. chisels, checkering heads, etc. always have to be razor sharp to minimize chipping.

In short, many woodworkers would say that the work, discipline, and stress involved in working rosewood large-scale just isn't worth it.

I hope Marlin paid the stockers who made those presentation rosewood stocks extra.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I'm sure Marlin's stock department was much like other makers. Probably had a small group doing stocks, and some key people who did the highest grade stocks.
I once saw a picture of Marlin's stock department and like other gun makers shops it looked like it would be hard for anyone to build good stocks there! Dark, and poorly lit, with dust covering the windows. I can't imagine how the workers put out such wonderful fit and finish in the conditions the pictures showed.
But an interesting part was their duplicator! It held 8 or 10 blanks at a time! I never thought much about that before, but imagined a huge amount of hand work shaping stocks. So seeing a duplicator of that size surprised me a little.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
I have bought stocks from CPA and the quality of their wood is very good and the prices are very reasonable. I expect that you could get wood that you'd like and not have to spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that some of the wood dealers are charging.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
But an interesting part was their duplicator! It held 8 or 10 blanks at a time!

The Winchester stock duplicator was similar.
Belt driven from an overhead shaft, mounted in the ceiling.
Probably steam powered at one time.
The form to be duplicated was about 2X the normal size.
The guys on the line would pick out the best wood and keep it under the bench for employee's guns. 
Some of it rated extra fancy, though they were few and far between.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #35 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Here are some examples of wood from Cecil Fredi, with prices.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:37pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
That's some very good looking lumber, and priced very fairly!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Very nice wood indeed and I wish the OP the very best and hope he ends up with exactly the Rifle he has been working so hard to achieve.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #38 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Beautiful wood!! Makes you want to go and get another project gun!

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
The most critical part of wood selections for single shot rifles is the layout.
Grain structure needs to run through the wrist in parallel lines to the shape both from the top and the sides.  This is more important for actions with tangs vs through bolts and critically important for side locks.
Save all the fancy for the rear 2/3 of the stock blank.
The heavier the recoil the tighter the grain and denser the wood should be.  You will see a lot of knock out gorgeous wood that has lousy wrist structure. If you go there don't be surprised if your stock cracks or shatters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint