Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks (Read 9552 times)
SmallBoreBuyer

Re: Selecting a Stock - Shapes and Blanks
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:10pm:
I have both a 52 and a 49. I have a 22rf barrel for each. I also have two more barrels for the 49 which is much easier to handle on the bench than the 52 due to less drop in the stock. It's not nearly so tippy. Both are comfortable offhand but I seem to hit my 6" 100 yd gong more often with the 49. (Maybe I should say that I miss less frequently with the 49.) Also, as has been discussed in another thread, get yourself a butt plate like the one on Oldman's rifle.

JS

Thanks, JS - that is very interesting.  Looking at the pictures I had drawn the opposite conclusion.  With the balance of shooting that would likely be off the bench - I will have a closer look at the 49.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:28pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Example of CPA Standard Grade Wood

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
No Smallborebuyer, just oneatatime, then oneatatime, then another oneatatime;-) Take a good look at those CPA $150 English walnut blanks. Finished with classic red root oil, yum!

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I have bought three CPA rifles in the past, with their deluxe walnut stocks, all of which have exceeded my expectations by a large margin. If I was considering adding different barrels at a later date, that may have different dimensions, I would order same extra fore ends to match the chosen butt, but without having the barrel channel cut. The barrel channel can be cut at a later time and is not an expensive exercise, if you don't ever get the extra barrels they should be easy to sell if not required.
Mike.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I have three CPA's the wood on all was better than I thought i would get. Fancy wood brings fancy problems. For me the trick is finding natural growth wood most of what you find today is commercially grown stuff that has been watered to near drowning to permote fast growth. It is more like balsa wood than walnut. 
If you want something with some drama look at English walnut some of it has nice fudge cake to it.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
In the early days of fine single shot rifles walnut was of course the most popular wood. Much if it described in catalogs for deluxe rifles as "English Walnut", but also "American Walnut". Some Rosewood was also used on deluxe guns.
(edit) The American Walnut and Rosewood are both usually darker woods, and the English Walnut is more of a honey colored hue. I absolutely love English Walnut with good figure to it.
This one doesn't have a lot of figure, but has the honey color.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:20am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
A nice piece of wood is what adds charm to a rifle and well worth a few dollars more. One also has to keep in mind a new rifle comes with a stock and let's say it comes with a $150.00 plan piece of wood. But you see a real nice blank for $350.00 don't forget to deduct the $150.00 for the wood the rifle already comes with from the upgrade so it's actually only costing you $200.00 more and not as much as one might tend to think. If ordering a new rifle this can very easily be over looked and just something one should also take into consideration. 
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2018 at 1:03pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I believe that most honey colored stocks on Ballards I have seen were in fact english walnut. American (black) walnut tends to be darker in comparison. Examples in color photos of 6 1/2 Rigby's in John Dutchers book on Ballards. 

rkba2nd

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:54pm:
A nice piece of wood is what adds charm to a rifle and well worth a few dollars more. One also has to keep in mind a new rifle comes with a stock and let's say it comes with a $150.00 plan piece of wood. But you see a real nice blank for $350.00 don't forget to deduct the $150.00 for the wood the rifle already comes with from the upgrade so it's actually only costing you $200.00 more and not as much as one might tend to think. If ordering a new rifle this can very easily be over looked and just something one should also take into consideration. 

This is a great point.  The credit for sending your own wood to CPA is $75, so deduct this from whatever your replacement blank is, for the net.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
A bit surprised the credit isn't more than just $75.00 and not closer to a $150.00?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #25 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:13pm:
A bit surprised the credit isn't more than just $75.00 and not closer to a $150.00?

$75 is what Gail Shuttleworth told me this week.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I'm surprised Vall mentioned rosewood for rifle stocks.  In my experience working with the real stuff - now largely classed as "endangered" - while it takes a high polish and almost always has at least a nicely contrasting grain, it's also a brittle wood.  In other words, I've often seen it used for pistol grips, forearm and grip caps, and other small and/or accent pieces; but I'd be very wary of using it for a whole rifle stock, especially if the chambering had a literal "kick" to it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Here's a $70 piece of claro. It may not be what someone would want for a fancy rifle but it usually has a nice warm look, is good to work with and finishes easily due to the small pores.

JS

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
It may not be what someone would want for a fancy rifle

Life is too short to drink cheap booze or use plain wood.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #29 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:53am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
I believe that most honey colored stocks on Ballards I have seen were in fact english walnut. American (black) walnut tends to be darker in comparison. Examples in color photos of 6 1/2 Rigby's in John Dutchers book on Ballards. 

Yes, my mistake. I have my info reversed. The honey colored Ballard stocks were English walnut, not American walnut.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint