Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Steven 414 (Read 1707 times)
Biil C

Steven 414
Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Hi, A friend gave me a rifle that had been in his family for a few years, his wife wanted 'no guns.'

It looks like someone bent the lever.. are replacements out there? There are lots of scew holes and stuff..looks like various sights could have been attached. Any clue on how to find out how to find out what the original options with this would be great. I found the stamp 414 under the stock..

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Steven 414
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Gun has been radically customized: new forearm & pistol-grip stock, & lever has had an extension brazed on.  Not worth trying to find an original lever unless the buttstock is also replaced.  Missing rcvr. sight could be found, but again, not worth the cost.  It is what it now is, & can't be returned to its original configuration without spending enough to buy an unmodified 414 Armory model.

Sorry to say, it's collector value is gone, irretrievably, but it might still make a fine target or small game rifle, as this model has a reputation for accuracy.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Top's a pic of a 414, the tang sight is added.
Lower pic is "standard" 44.
Someone may have customized this into his target gun, that forearm might be nice from the bench.
I'd fill the holes with plug/set screws, attach an externally adjustable scope and have fun.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Biil C

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks for responding. It is fun to shoot though too heavy to carry into the field. I'll put it away and one day my son will have a project..

Bill

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Even the bog-standard 414 was intended for target shooting.  It wasn't a hunting gun.  Don't expect it to be one.

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Biil C wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:38pm:
It is fun to shoot though too heavy to carry into the field. 
Bill

8 lbs?  That's about 3/4 lbs. lighter than a M1903 Springfield, & 1.5 lbs lighter than a M1; I don't think US soldiers were provided with gun-bearers.  Maybe too heavy to carry in your arms any great distance, but that's why gun-slings were invented.  I've always squirrel hunted with guns of that wt. & well above, because I value the stability that such weight provides.  But with a sling of course!  And there are slings sold for muzzle-loaders that attach without the need of swivels.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I wouldn't change a thing on that old Stevens! The changes do hurt collector value, but trying to make it original again will hurt it's value, and your pocket book too! It's typical of old target rifles used and modified by their owners, and it's history as such is also important.
I doubt a stock lever would fit it anyway, as it appears the lower tang might be custom bent for the stocks, and lever. So you might end up with a lever that wont do you any good without a new lower tang and stock also.
This gun deserves to be left alone, and enjoyed as it is now. It's a piece of shooting history, and has survived in it's present state for a long time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
The 414 was good enough for the US Team to use in the 1912 Olympics for 50 meters - but they didn't like the sights. They possibly could have done better if they had known that "no artificial support" in prone shooting did not include the ground which was ruled "not artificial".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint