Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Switch barrel guns (Read 1906 times)
kkid66

Switch barrel guns
Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
How do you change bbls on your action? Thinking there should be an easier way than how I do mine. I clamp my barrel in an oak block and use an action wrench with a support block in my highwall action. I have witness marks on my barrels and also use two small levels.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Switch barrel guns
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
The easiest way is what Stevens and CPA do. Just a setscrew through the frame to retain the barrel. Loosen the screw and spin it off by hand.
I have Pope and a Schoyen barreled Ballards that were modified to use the same system with a setscrew, and work the same.
Some old schuetzen rifle makers used a cross pin that was tapped out to allow the barrel to be swapped. 
And I have another Pope Ballard that uses Pope's takedown system with knurled collar to retain the barrels. 3 barrels all fitted with the same system.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
CPA--
I have 3  Just great #1 has 5 different tubes, #2 has 3 tubes, and #3 is still a 1 tube rifle,,
they ran from 22lr, 25-20ss, 32-40 38-55 45-90 and 32 miller short.. Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I like my Cody Ballard taper pin.  Drop the action, then tap out the pin and unscrew the barrel. Mine’s got a .32-40 and a .38-50 barrel.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
    Best-shooting switch-bbl rifle I have is a Stiegele (German) with a split receiver and a cross screw to clamp the threads onto the bbl threads.  I have always been leery of the set-screws in the CPA's, but the several of them that I have had have been good shooters, nevertheless.
     Harold Vaughn in his book "Rifle Accuracy Facts" goes into the question of barrel attachment in considerable detail, and is worth consulting.  He has measured the amount of barrel movement in receiver threads when the rifle is fired, and demonstrates that the limitation that one runs into is the strength of the materials of which the bbl and receiver are made.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I release the barrel set screw on my .40-60 Maynard barrel and the barrel screws off easily just by turning by hand.

The RKS 22 rifle barrel tightens to a snuck fit like traditional barrels are mounted.

To remove it I have to put the receiver in a vise between two oak boards. I then unscrew the barrel with a a barrel wrench; and because it is so tight I may need a snipe to get it to start spinning.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
It's easy on my Maynard, open the action, turn the lever axis pin downward then pull it to the right, lift the barrel/lever assy from the frame. Place it aside. Pick up the next barrel/lever assy. Drop the lever through the rectangular hole in the frame, slide the front lug of the barrel onto the front pivot screw and slide the lever axis pin back into position through the hole in the lever. Close the action and you're ready to go, 20 seconds changeover time.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Yes Deadeye.
Maynards must be the quickest of the quick change barrels.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I clamp my barrel in an oak block and use an action wrench with a support block in my highwall action.
you might consider a take-down action for an 1885.

My BSA #7 takes down the same as Chris's, split receiver with clamp screw.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:22pm:
I clamp my barrel in an oak block and use an action wrench with a support block in my highwall action.
you might consider a take-down action for an 1885.

My BSA #7 takes down the same as Chris's, split receiver with clamp screw.
I might consider a take-down action in a highwall but they seem rare and pricy.
Aaron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint