Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Roger no.1 and flyers (Read 6969 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Roger no.1 and flyers
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Try a Hick's Accurizer?
Trade it at a show until you get one that does shoot?

I'm tryin', Joe.    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I don't think anyone should be blaming Ruger on this one. The owner said it has been rebarrelled and restocked and that it is a lightweight barrel. In my experience minute of deer is not as demanding as a benchrest target rifle. One must be careful what one wishes for.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I Care Joe, I really care!   
I have a solution for those #1's with a light barrels, it works but it is is hideous...   Cheesy Take the fore end off and set it aside - you'll want it for resale, remove the barrel - it's the easiest way to turn the OD and thread for a full length piece of titanium tubing -  thread the area just in front of the action to a fine thread - a 32 thread or so, thread the ID of the titanium tubing - it won't be very heavy wall cause you won't want much additional weight.  Thread the other inside end of the tube make a nut with minimum clearance to the barrel OD.  This nut will need a detent hole pattern -usually a 4 hole pattern in the space between OD and ID.  Thread the muzzle for a nut with with a matching hole pattern with screws to pull tension on the barrel.   You can drill the titanium tube for ventilation to dissipate heat if you want to. Assemble this contraption using the four screws to pull tension on the barrel, determined as required - problem solved, no more flyers, the barrel is under tension.  This will address the harmonics issue of a light barrel.   Wink
I wouldn't recommend this to the OP if his Ruger's nice, did something similar to a wuger that had a hard life but even it eventually grew a heavier barrel and shoots better now.  I'm not sure my current count but I don't have light barrels on any of them - any more- Thinking about making a carbon fiber barrel for one...? It would be rigid but light? Ugly? growing all over it...
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Having owned many No 1s, I have had some that shot exremely well, and some that were sorely lacking. I have also tried all sorts of fixes, but again, some helped and some did not. I ultimately found that the best way was to replace the barrel. Ruger outsourced their barrels for a long time, and I feel that was one of the reasons some did not shoot well. The first I owned was shortly after they first came out. It was a beautiful rifle, which is the reason I was attracted to them in the first place, also because they were single shots. That rifle was more than accurate for antelope hunting, which is the purpose I bought it for. It was a heavy barreled 25-06. When I switched to using a 38-55 highwall for antelope hunting I put the No.1 away. After buying more Rugers I had the same acurracy issues that lots of folks were having. About thirty or more years ago, I pulled the 25-06 out, and decided to rebarrel it to 219 wasp. It had shot well enough for antelope, but after the new barrel it shot consistent half inch groups, which is what I was hoping for, to use as a Rockchuck rifle. Not knowing if the barrel alone was responsible for the better accuracy, I rebarreled a few others that had not shot as well as I would like,even after trying all sorts of remedies. These barrels were top makers barrels, Shilen, krieger, and Lilja. All were vast improvements. Fitting a new barrel these days is an expensive proposition, even if you can do the labor youself, most really good barrels are in the three to four hundred dollar range for a match grade tube. I do have one fairly new No. 1, and it is a 22-250 that shoots very well. It may or may not have something to do with the fact Ruger is now making their own hammer forged barrels in house. I would be very curious to know how other new ones are shooting. And no, I won't use the 22-250 for deer hunting. That is my choosing, from experience in the field!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Classic symptom of a bad scope. Try another one.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
The easiest solution is to remove all that crap under the forearm and to replace it with a simple flat spring similar to those on a HiWall and problem solved. But no one really wants to solve the problem or listen to the fixes that have worked for others as it would end the conversation as it's doubtful anyone is going to run out and buy a rifle to try anything thats been mentioned.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:14am
Print Post  
I was wondering when someone would pick up on that. You've got to load your own to please the rifle.

IP Logged

IOwnDoubles

Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Wow what a dissertation!
Yes I will load my own ammo, this was my first chance to shoot it, with the ammo that came out of the estate with the rifle
No the barrel is not standard, neither is the stock
Yes it was put together by a REAL gunsmith, can’t believe he would have tolerated these groups
And yes my .22 hornet no.1 shoots beautifully
And for the record, the military would rather wound an enemy so two soldiers have to carry him off the battlefield, of curse that doesn’t work with those bastard radical isis guys

Wow
Jerry

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:27am
Print Post  
I do find it weird that most People expect their bolt action rifle to need some work in order to perform, but that Ruger no. 1 should do well from the very 1st shot, as purchased.
This from a guy owning one, and I got it from barely keeping the black of the 25m issf target (rem. factory ammo) to ragged holes, sub moa. All at 100m. This with a 25-06 heavy barrel.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:10am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:27am:
I do find it weird that most People expect their bolt action rifle to need some work in order to perform, but that Ruger no. 1 should do well from the very 1st shot, as purchased.
This from a guy owning one, and I got it from barely keeping the black of the 25m issf target (rem. factory ammo) to ragged holes, sub moa. All at 100m. This with a 25-06 heavy barrel.

^yep.
Not to mention all the $$$, minutia and accoutrements that Schuetzen, etc. types here go through to get their rifles to shoot their best. Roll Eyes

There's a lot of arrogance and ignorance in the shooting world, just like the rest of the world; some disciplines more than others. Wink

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
On my latest #1 (223 Varmint) the bore is larger in the middle than at the ends (when cleaning the patch gets loose in the middle). So I did not expect much out of the box. I removed the forend and other tricks that did not help much. It shoots 4" at best at 200yds. I need to get with Ruger and see if they still replace the 1:9 with a 1:8 for free since they advertised at 1:8.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Didn't production of the Ruger #1 and the Ruger M77 start within a year or two of one another?
Wonder if some of the barrel blanks that Ruger used for production that shooters had problems with ended up being used in both lines?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
It has been my understanding per what I have read in the past that Ruger was using Douglas barrels when the #1's were first introduced. Having had a #1 in 6MM, and an early 77 in 25-06 it was not all that difficult to get them to shoot well. They are just hunting rifles not target rifles and with a little load development I turned them both into very consistent ground squirrel rifles out to 400 yds. If expecting to get such results with factory ammunition it's really just a hope and prayer and just plan good luck but surely it would be accurate enough to very easily and cleanly kill deer sized game and there intended purpose. My nephew won a 308 Howa and at 200 yds. best it would shoot was around 8 inch groups so I took it home with me and bedded the action. Took it back out and it was now easily shooting 1 inch groups with the same factory ammunition and it turned out to be a very excellent hunting rifle for him. If a three screw action like my 77 was a simple readjustment of the screw tension in the proper order worked wonders. If one wants a real tack driver right out if the box you won't typically get from an off the shelf factory rifle but you can easily turn it into one with a little basic knowledge and some time and effort.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
It's true they were never meant to be target rifles, but who doesn't want to get the most in accuracy out of any given rifle?
Bill Ruger would bristle at some of our expectations, reminding us in brusque terms that these were designed for hunters. Roll Eyes

It's also true that up to "about" 1971", they were using Douglas premium barrels. When Douglas couldn't provide the numbers needed, they went to Wilson (a Connecticut company, I believe). Some Wilson barrels were less than perfect, but most were just fine. In 1993, Ruger started making their own hammer forged barrels and by all accounts, they are excellent and accurate.
Here is the first 3-shot group at 100yds (with a 6X scope) with a used light barreled 222 Rem. #1A made a few years ago and using Rem. department store 50gr. SP ammunition.
One group does not an average make, still . . . . .
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:54pm by gewehrfreund »  

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #29 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Interesting discussion.  A few years ago I thought I needed a Ruger mini 14 but decided against it as I heard stories about poor accuracy.  Supposedly the newer ones are better.  Don’t know what the the problem is or was.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint