Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Roger no.1 and flyers (Read 6962 times)
IOwnDoubles

Roger no.1 and flyers
Oct 8th, 2018 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Finally got the no 1. 284 Winchester. Custom light octagon barrel, custom stock, leupold vx2 scope. From an estate of the sister of a Pensylvania gunsmith 
Having trouble with random flyers.  No ryeme or reason.  Shoots good and then through a shot or two way off, then back in the original group.  It came with low end Winchester ammo, haven’t reloaded for it yet.
Beautiful gun. Not sure what is happening.  At first I thought it was me, but really buckled down and it still occurred.
Any ideas?
Note the forend is not floating.

Thanks for the advice, this gun is beautiful and I want to work this thing out
Jerry

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Re: Roger no.1 and flyers
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:41am
Print Post  
This is not uncommon with No. Ones with the light barrels. Usually, it can be improved by either adding a pressure pad between the barrel and fore-end near the front of the fore-end, or installing a Hicks Accurizer, etc. 
You should also try shooting it with the fore-end removed and see if it likes no fore-end contact at all; then free-floating might be in order.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Some 50 yrs in production, & Ruger STILL hasn't bothered to work out a fix for this very common problem; guess they're thinking is "that's what gunsmiths are for." If all the theories & suggestions for correcting this problem that have been published over the last 50 yrs in gun mags were collected together, they'd make a thick book.

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Redsetter,

Yes, but do any of them really work?

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
bohemianway wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 9:44am:
Redsetter,

Yes, but do any of them really work?

Charles

Very good question, and the answer is....sometimes. The problem with all the various fixes is they work on some, and not on others.
The light barrels mentioned above are tough to find a fix for. But a heavy barrel is almost always a much better choice. Most who hunt don't want the weight of the heavy barrel, so there's not much that can be done if they prefer a light barrel. 
Without a total redesign of that hanger and spring system, I don't see how the problem of flyers can ever be fixed on light barrels.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:39am:
Without a total redesign of that hanger and spring system, I don't see how the problem of flyers can ever be fixed on light barrels.

Which is what should have been done when the first complaints were made many decades ago.  I owned one of the beautiful early ones in .22-250, but there was no choice of brl. wt. that I was aware of when I bought it; shot good enough for a "deer rifle," but nobody buys a .22-250 to shoot deer (I hope!).

After struggling with it for a few months, I "passed it on," but a good friend of mine who's a glutton for punishment has owned several, tinkered with them endlessly, but never found one he could make shoot to his satisfaction.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 11:43am:
marlinguy wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:39am:

Which is what should have been done when the first complaints were made many decades ago.  I owned one of the beautiful early ones in .22-250, but there was no choice of brl. wt. that I was aware of when I bought it; shot good enough for a "deer rifle," but nobody buys a .22-250 to shoot deer (I hope!).

I've owned three #1's in .45-70, .458 Win Mag, and 7x57. The one in .45-70 was the Lyman Centennial, and the most accurate of the 3 guns. I attribute that to it's heavier barrel.

I never purchased a .22-250 specifically to hunt deer at first, but since it's legal here for deer I used mine very successfully. So much so that I later sold the lightweight Rem. 700 I started with, and replaced it with the heavier 700 VSF version.
I've lost track of how many mule deer the 700 VSF has taken over the years. I stopped using it when I began hunting with old single shots, but not because it wasn't adequate. Actually because it was too easy to take deer with it. I took deer out to 400 yds. with it and never had to shoot more than once. All but one were typical shoulder shots. The one was a neck shot simply because the buck was too close.
I prefer taking deer with iron sights and a single shot now, just because it requires more hunting and stalking, vs. just sniping deer at a long range as the .22-250 did for me.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Not a lightweight but the 200-year 1-S I had in 7 Mag definitely benefited from upward pressure at the tip of the fore end giving sub MOA 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Unfortunately it also had one of the salt cured stocks.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
I have to side with Elmer on this one. The 22-250 was not designed with hunting deer in mind, especially when much more reliable rounds are available. It may be, that in capable hands, the 22-250 is adequate for deer size game, but just a matter of time until it will fail. If you cleanly killed as many as you said out to 400 yards, you are one very lucky man Val, and I might suggest running to your local 7-11 and buying a lottery ticket. I personally feel that 6mm's are at best marginal. I guided deer and elk hunters on the Roan Plateau in Colorado for many years, and shuddered when a hunter showed up with a 243, as I knew there was a real possibility that I would end up tracking a clients wounded deer or elk, and then have to pack it out of a deep canyon for  him or her. That is what I was paid to do, but doesn't mean I had to enjoy it, either seeing the animal wounded or my having to pack it out in two or more trips. I am glad to see you have gone to larger calibers, and closer ranges Val.   

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
With a little time and effort I have gotten two of those I have owned to shoot extremely well one a Rem. 6MM and the other a very competitive breech seated 32-40. One inch of RTV Silicone bedding at the forearm tip and the back of the forearm had to bedded hard back against the face of the action. Release agent for the RTV Silicone one wrap of Saran wrap on the barrel with just enough screw pressure to keep the forearm in place. When dried you want it to apply pressure when tightening the screw down tight and pushing the forearm hard back against the face of the action. The Black RTV silicone that ozzed out can be trimmed off very clean and neatly with a razor knife just insure you use enough in length of the Saran wrap and that it can go around the barrel just once and scotch taped in place at the top. And then cut one piece that can be layed nicely in the forearm channel and long enough to be folded down and back around the forearm after its been put in place. If any we're to get on the wood or barrel it would be hell or next to impossible get it off and you also want to insure there are no wrinkles in the Saran wrap nor to tear or make a hole in it when installing. This I learned from Merril Martin and studying the results he was able to obtain by using it in two each identical and extremely competitive #1 32-40 Schuetzen benchrest rifles he was working with at the time one for him and the other for a friend as I recall in the article he wrote and I believe it was in the Journal or possibly Precision Shooting I can't now remember it was a long time back and it was also directly related to a Coors match he was getting ready for and also shot. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I second that rkba2nd. For heavy animals I'll take a 30-06 with a 220 grain Nosler Partition over any hyper velocity drillamatic known to man.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Re: Ruger no.1 and flyers
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:25pm:
I have to side with Elmer on this one. The 22-250 was not designed with hunting deer in mind, especially when much more reliable rounds are available. It may be, that in capable hands, the 22-250 is adequate for deer size game, but just a matter of time until it will fail. If you cleanly killed as many as you said out to 400 yards, you are one very lucky man Val, and I might suggest running to your local 7-11 and buying a lottery ticket. I personally feel that 6mm's are at best marginal. I guided deer and elk hunters on the Roan Plateau in Colorado for many years, and shuddered when a hunter showed up with a 243, as I knew there was a real possibility that I would end up tracking a clients wounded deer or elk, and then have to pack it out of a deep canyon for  him or her. That is what I was paid to do, but doesn't mean I had to enjoy it, either seeing the animal wounded or my having to pack it out in two or more trips. I am glad to see you have gone to larger calibers, and closer ranges Val.   

If you've ever taken coyotes with a .22-250 and seen what it did to them, you might reconsider. I know numerous gun magazine writers have written that the .22-250 was inadequate for deer, but those I've spoken with never tried the caliber. I often wonder how people can state so confidently a certain caliber is not good for something when they've never used it?
I would add that all my deer were taken with a 55 gr. spire point, and never even tried any HP bullets. My load was around 3450 fps, with this bullet, and I found it devastating to internal organs. Most deer I field dressed had heart, lungs or both literally exploded into small pieces. A deer wont go far once those vital organs are destroyed, and I had none that took more than a few steps.
I wouldn't call it lottery type luck when a particular caliber and load take something over 20 deer. As I stated previously, I didn't keep exact count, but I know it's something over 20, and less than 30. 
I've had more deer run a short distance with my .45-70 than I ever did with the .22-250. And deer surely aren't "heavy animals".

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
In the hands of a well established and skilled rifleman / hunter the 6MM with the right bullet choice is in no way the same as coming across a lucky lottery ticket. For such a person to cleanly and humanly kill game out to 400yds. is really not a difficult task nor is any luck involved. When still hunting out of state and in Colorado the ranch manager over seeing the land we hunted  on would actually make fun of some of the rifles he would see in the group. He grew up around a 243 and it's all he used for Deer, Elk, Antelope and Black bear. I had a close friend now gone a Veterinarian and avid hunter who grew up in Oregon who's first Deer rifle and one his dad bought for him was a 220 Swift. He killed allot of Deer with it growing up and said it was the best cleanly killing deer rifle he had ever owned and over the years he owned several. Having worked hunter sight in days for the club for several years and probably like some of those you guided the majority could not hit the broad side of a barn let alone kill game cleanly nor humanly at any range and the only time they typically took there rifles out to shoot was for the once a year local deer season. I am also quite suprised why there are those who still feel the Nosler Partition to be a good bullet choice I found it to be the worse. They do a fantasic job of going all the way through a deer and expelling all of their shock and energy into the ground not the animal and time for all of the tracking to now begin. A bullet that enters and never exists and exspells all of it's instantaneous shock and energy is what destroys the nervous system and provides a quick, clean and human kill and drops them in their place like a box of rocks.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
gewehrfreund wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 5:42pm:
All fascinating, but not sure how this helps or addresses the OP's concern. . . . .  Roll Eyes

The Ruger #1's issues with occasional flyers are well known, and addressed. Not sure if the OP is going to fix that issue without a redesign, or at least a much heavier barrel.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  

I care too Joe. But as you say, it's an old topic and the same solutions offered up. But since the solutions don't solve the problem, are they really solutions? Or hopeful fixes?
I tried DeHaas' setscrew setup to put pressure from the hanger to the barrel, and "tune" the gun. I didn't see any change afterwards, so pulled the screw and sold the gun.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2018 at 8:42pm by MI-shooter »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint