Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Custom Stevens No.35 Pistol w Stevens-Pope barrel (Read 6679 times)
terry buffum

Re: Custom Stevens No.35 Pistol w Stevens-Pope barrel
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Life Member #205

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
What an incredible single-shot pistol! ... and with a Pope barrel ... amazing ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
That's a sweetheart Terry! Beautiful case too! I get weak in the knees for cased gun sets!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Tell us more about this fabulous pistol! Is it factory engraved and original, more about the case? 
Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I found it at the monthly gun show at the IFES Hall in Walnut Creek, Ca in 1963 or 1964.  It was on the sign in table with a $75 price tag; I bought it, then noticed the name J E Gorman scratched through the blue on the Pope barrel.  "Trader", who ran the show, said the lady that sold it to him said "her grandfather won a gold medal with it at the 1908 Olympics".  We joked about the story being a typical one, for which neither of us was willing to pay extra.

Several month to a year later I received a call from Ivan Hart, who knew I had the pistol.  He told me to come to the show in San Francisco as he had something I "needed".  It was a copy of "Bullet Holes" by Douglas Wesson, essentially a hard bound advertising piece on competitive use of S & W handguns.  I think I paid him the same $75 the pistol cost.  Many pictures of J E Gorman and the notation that the team won a gold medal with Gorman being high man on the team.

A year of two later, Flayderman offered a gold medal from the 1908 Olympics; it is actually from .22 rifle competition, but close enough for my purposes! I think it was ten times the book or pistol.

In the mid-1970s, the late Lynton McKensie engraved it in a style popular in England in1908.  Stephen Alexander made the case.  James Tucker and Monty Mandarino each made a set of one piece grips.  I can't remember the name of the tool maker, but he died about 30 years ago, so he probably won't be insulted.

At one point, my collection included over 300 pieces.  This is the only one either  of my sons wants to keep.  Generation gap!

Life Member #205

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint