Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ned Roberts rifle (Read 7053 times)
Life#75

Ned Roberts rifle
Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Schoyen-Ballard .25-21 rifle

P8280009.JPG ( 801 KB | 25 Downloads )
P8280009.JPG

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ned Roberts rifle
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Pretty neat! Hope you have more pictures of the whole gun?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Is it described or pictured in one of his books or articles?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Redsetter I am with you where is the proof.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 4:35pm:
Also, for what it's worth, for all the exhaustiveness of Dutcher's Ballard book, I don't believe this rifle is even mentioned.  Could John simply not known of it?

Unlikely, I think; but without some credible evidence of Ned's ownership, there'd be no particular reason to mention it, esp. with so many other Ballards to discuss.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Here's what was posted in 2007 regarding this rifle:

"I bought this rifle back in 1986 at a Rochester NY show..
Cannot remember the fellow, but he had some other fine SS rifles !!

Does anyone know of any articles or info on this rifle ?

I'll describe it in more detail:
Appears to be an early 6 1/2 with double-set triggers and Pacific lever.
Action is case-colored in the Stevens rippled style.
Octagon Schoyen barrel in .25-21.
Winchester A5 scope.
With it came some brass, reloading data in Neds fine penmanship writing.
Neds tool shop made case resizer & re-decapper and a brass insert
bullet mold.

I think I paid a Queens ransom for it, but what the heck - you only live
once.

thanks ,"

I am always hoping that people receive provenance when they make a purchase, but unsure if this gun was documented since the 2007 request or not? But certain things are for sure, which I see no reason to dispute. It is a Ballard, and it is a Schoyen barrel in .25-21 Stevens. It is not a #6 1/2, as that was the Rigby model with full engraving, facetted receiver, and pistol grip receiver. It isn't a #6 action either, as that was also a pistol grip frame. 
It appears to be built on a Pacific receiver with the straight grip frame, and that style of lever. Hope there is provenance to tie it to Ned Roberts.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:19pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
"Credible"?

If we are to believe Roberts, he did own a .25-21 Schoyen Ballard.  How "credible" is it that his rifle is this .25-21 Schoyen Ballard (assuming that you believe the rifle under discussion here is a Schoyen Ballard)?

Also, the material Vall found suggests that loading tools from Roberts' shop were with the rifle.  Are they still there?  If so, can those be acceptably verified, say by comparing them with other accepted examples?

Last also, can we trace the provenance at least from 2007 until now?

Really the last also, lacking any other way to go about it, does anyone here know of any other .25-21 Schoyen Ballards?

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:27pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:17pm:
"Credible"?

If we are to believe Roberts, he did own a .25-21 Schoyen Ballard.  How "credible" is it that his rifle is this .25-21 Schoyen Ballard (assuming that you believe the rifle under discussion here is a Schoyen Ballard)?

Lacking any other way to go about it, does anyone here know of any other .25-21 Schoyen Ballards?

Bill Lawrence

Can't say as I've seen this caliber in a Schoyen, but I'd give the OP the benefit of the doubt as to it being a Schoyen. Every Schoyen barrel I've ever seen was well marked, and I'd assume this one is too, thus explaining the OP's claim of it being a Schoyen.
But there are numerous levels of "Schoyen rifles". Some are simply Schoyen barrels installed on shooter's guns, while others had Simmons stocks fitted at Schoyen's shop. Still others got the full treatment of a Schoyen barrel, stocks, and all the tools a person could purchase from Schoyen.
This one appears to just have the Schoyen barrel fitted to it. Doesn't make it wrong, or bad, just what most would consider entry level compared to the full blown Schoyens built in his shop.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:17pm:
Lacking any other way to go about it, does anyone here know of any other .25-21 Schoyen Ballards?

Gerald Kelver mentioned one in his chapter on Schoyen.  Why not?  It was a popular cartridge at the time, & so were Ballard actions for this kind of re-barreling job. 

Maybe Ned provided a careful description of his Schoyen .25-21 is some of his writings.  Has anyone, before jumping to conclusions, looked for it? 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Nothing wrong with skepticism, but shouldn't we give the OP the benefit of the doubt for now, rather than being too skeptical until he has a chance to prove it?
I agree with Redsetter, that we should try to find evidence before we jump to the conclusion it's not correct.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:42pm:

I agree with Redsetter, that we should try to find evidence before we jump to the conclusion it's not correct.

The conclusion I was referring to is that, because Ned was known to have owned a Schoyen-barreled Ballard in this caliber, this gun HAS to be the same one.  Very possibly, it is, but is it asking too much for some further evidence that it is?

Who inherited Ned's guns, or was there an auction of them?  Seems unlikely guns belonging to such a famous shooter & author would have disappeared without leaving some written trace; for ex., any dealer who wound up with them would certainly hype them as having belonged to Ned.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Myself I am with Vall give the gentleman some room to speak he was nice enough to go out of his way to share it and it's not like it is for sale. One beautiful Rifle no matter what the background might be.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I would agree that one would think Ned's rifle would be well documented. But it's possible it stayed in the family, and at some point was sold to a friend who knew the history, so didn't need documentation. Then after it left the 2nd owner's hands it was too late to get documentation.
I wouldn't expect anyone to accept a story at face value. But I wouldn't automatically reject Life 75's claim until it's shown to be unsubstantiated. It would be a shame to have Ned's gun and no documentation. But it would also be ungentlemanly for us to condemn his account when he's simply showing us the gun. I like it, and if it's Ned Robert's gun, it will be icing on the cake. But every Schoyen gun is a very desirable gun, regardless of the chain of ownership.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:08pm:

But it would also be ungentlemanly for us to condemn his account when he's simply showing us the gun.

Asking how he knows, or even suspects, it is what its alleged to be is "ungentlemanly"?  That's the lowest bar for ungentlemanly conduct I ever heard of...considering, especially, what's said on this forum.

I'd say it's rather "ungentlemanly" to clam up when politely asked for further information.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Do you always have to be so argumentative? Is it just your nature to want to stir things up?
Asking for his provenance is not ungentlemanly. It's how it's done, and it seems it's never done in a gentlemanly fashion. Is it so damned tough to be polite, or to simply say something nice about his gun? Is it that tough to ask if he has provenance, vs. challenge his claim to provenance?
I'm not going to get into another pissing match with you, as it does nothing to better this forum. I tried to be polite and even agree with you, but you simply came back saying that wasn't what you meant. I'm too tired of arguing with you, or answering challenges.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint