Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic converting a BSA Martini Cadet 310 (Read 2799 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

converting a BSA Martini Cadet 310
Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
I'm writing this for a friend who has a 310 cadet that is not very accurate with black powder loads, as we are in a black powder club that's what he has to use.
I was wondering if he might be able to re barrel the rifle in another BP calibre that would be accurate.  I realise that the problem with his rifle may be the barrel as the rifle is quite old, so re barrelling just may be an option, if not too expensive.
Your thoughts would be appreciated and I can pass them on.
Mike.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: converting a BSA Martini Cadet 310
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
32-20 or 30-20 for that matter...  FWIW, the 310 cadet never was a BP cartridge.  Still, I'd look at fouling management 1st...  These little rounds are pretty sensitive to it

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Tell your friend to sell his little rifle and buy a larger one. There is a big demand for the cadet rifle at the present. The Martini Cadet is too small for the 30-30 size case no matter what others may say. The threaded section is small to began with and boring it out to the 30-30 case makes it much smaller. I knew a man who broke off the barrel of one that had been chambered to 32-special. Also there is recoil to consider. It would be very painfull. There is a Pedersoli rolling block for sale on Castboolits for $850. It was 30-30 rebored to 35-30. It would be a much better choice for black powder shooting. A cadet rifle sold recently on this site for over $800.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
FWIW,
I very much enjoy shooting my Cadet that had been
bored out to 357 mag back in the late 50s.
A better fit for barrel shank. 
Its accurate with a 200 gr cast bullet.
A rebore like this would solve the problem of a poor bore.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, if I were in his position I would sell it and put the money into a more suitable rifle as suggested. As I'm not him, and he may have an emotional attachment to the gun for some reason, he may not see it that way.
I am not sure of the value of a BSA Cadet here in Australia but I would be surprised if it was as high as A$800 let alone 800 US.  I will pass on the information and see what happens.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Mick,
       If .357 Maxi cases were easier to find I would go that way, I shoot a .30/.222 case in a martini, works well with BP, I breach seat but that entails a whole lot of work re the seater fabrication etc.With BP I clean between shots, you need the action to drop out 
Easily and the rear of the action to be bored to clean from that end.With the Maxi case the loading ramp needs a very slight relief to chamber.

Cheers Mal.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I know it is difficult to believe that a little rifle that sold in the early '60s for $25 is now selling for several hundred, but it is true. I sold one a few months ago for little over $500 because I didn't know it either. It sold the day I listed it. Mine was in excellent condition with a mint bore. Imagine my surprise when one sold on this site that had deep rust pits and if memory serves it brought $815. You could look at it this way. They do make great little varmint rifles if chambered for a 222 Rem.Try to find someone who will make you a cadet rifle for a thousand dollars.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Mal wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
Mick,
      With BP I clean between shots, you need the action to drop out 
Easily and the rear of the action to be bored to clean from that end.With the Maxi case the loading ramp needs a very slight relief to chamber.

Mal,

Consider using a flexible cleaning rod - works a treat!   And no need to take out the action every time.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 4:37am
Print Post  
FWIW,

I converted a BSA 12/15 action - basically a thick-wall cadet - to 30-20 (just a 32-20 with .308 barrel).   
Kept the original match sights, new forearm and it now is my most accurate short-range BP match rifle.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 8:00am
Print Post  
My sentiment is not to screw up an original cadet rifle.  I am having a great time with mine.  Just load it as it is intended and shoot.

I recently acquired a nice original BSA Martini Cadet rifle in its original chamber of .310 Greener.

The rifle remains in excellent condition.  Importantly, its bore is like new.

I studied on how to get into loading for this rifle and asked a few questions along the way.   

I gathered what I needed to load this little cartridge.  Buffalo Arms sells Starline .32-20 brass converted to fit the little Martinis.  They also have dies.  Finally, I got an RCBS mould for the little 125 grain heeled bullet.

I lubed 50 bullets using Honda motorcycle chain lube.  I just set them up on a piece of wax paper and sprayed them with the lube.  It dries quickly.  Pretty soon I had 50 rounds of ammo ready for the range.

Here's a range report with photos.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I shot targets at 50 and 100 yards.  The rifle has good sights, but they are just battle sights.  That limits what I am able to do.  However, the little thing will certainly shoot.  Here are a couple of targets.  Loading data and distance is indicated on each target.

I was not disappointed.  That's about as good as I can shoot with those sights.  It's a shooter!  This was my first time ever shooting this rifle and this caliber.  It was a load recommended on a discussion forum and the only load I have tried.  I'm happy.

Don't wreck that original cadet martini!

Curl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint