Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I have been very fortunate (Read 2035 times)
boho

I have been very fortunate
Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I have been very fortunate in my introduction to single shot rifles and rifle matches. This wasn't something I even thought of some 10 years ago when I was turning 50. Motorcycles have always been my passion. Any weekend I could get out to the country with the guy's for breakfast and a day of riding our Harley's I was there, and still am to a lesser degree today.  Now my summer's are filled with rifle matches. I am very fortunate to be living in the state of New York. It's an anti-gun state led by anti-gun Governor with an eye on the white house. That being said it has some of the greatest Rod and gun clubs scattered through out the most gorgeous landscapes of mountains and lakes. Clubs like Wilton Rod and Gun club that has a great spring and fall 2 day match. The Bath Rod and Gun Club,has a early summer and late summer 2 day match. Also just next door in Western Connecticut, is a 2 day match at the North West Connecticut Sportsman's Association. A newly added 2 day mid- summer match at  The Phoenicia Rod and Gun Club. There's also a place in New York, called Alabama that has a mid-summer and early fall 2 day match. If your counting that 20 days of shooting! And for me it's not just about the shooting. It's going there. It's the cold beer in front of the motel rooms or club house. Going out to dinner and breakfast with the guys. And all the stories and jokes and the things you learn up on the line and off. Most of all it's  10 weekends to escape the wife! So yes I have been fortunate.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: I have been very fortunate
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I must add knowing BoHo for several years now while also living on the opposite side of the Country he is a first class Gentleman. We have spent numerous times together over the years through or e-mail conversations helping each other out of which I have truly enjoyed tremendously.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
boho wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:29pm:
I am very fortunate to be living in the state of New York. It's an anti-gun state led by anti-gun Governor with an eye on the white house. That being said it has some of the greatest Rod and gun clubs scattered through out the most gorgeous landscapes of mountains and lakes. Clubs like Wilton Rod and Gun club that has a great spring and fall 2 day match. The Bath Rod and Gun Club,has a early summer and late summer 2 day match.

Please don't omit the Wilmington Fish & Game Club, here in the usually frigid Adirondacks (but not THIS summer!), the range of which I've managed for many yrs.!  Last weekend we held our first clay bird shoot, & though only about a dozen shooters showed up, it's a start.

Every little town around here has its own F&G club & its own range--within a radius of 30 miles, I can think of at least 6. No formal target shooting, alas, because most members of these clubs are interested almost entirely in one thing: deer hunting.

IP Logged

mikeyfirelock
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Hmmmm....motorcycles seem to be a favorite adjunct to single shots and muzzle loaders.   I have been riding for almost 50 years, and shooting single shots since my introduction to them (thru muzzleloading/single shot friends) for about the same time.   They keep you young.  Much better than golf.

Too many rifles.....not enough money

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Golf:  A shameful misuse of some perfectly good rifle ranges.

<div class=

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
And then there's the not-so-gun-friendly (but very friendly to illegals) People's Republik of NJ. Very shortly that state will be in my rear view mirror.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 8:54am:
And then there's the not-so-gun-friendly (but very friendly to illegals) People's Republik of NJ. Very shortly that state will be in my rear view mirror.

If so, you'll be leaving one priceless benefit behind: a state without annual car inspections, which in this state are so ridiculously extreme that it's VERY hard for poor people to keep their cars on the road.  The state laws requiring this were passed by legislators who simply can't IMAGINE why anyone would drive their same Mercedes, Cadillac, etc. more than 3 yrs, or if they were real tightwads, maybe 4 yrs max.  The newest vehicle I have is 19 yrs old.

IP Logged

shermo
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I've got to second BoHo on the Wilton rod and gun club. Very professional bunch of guys, Also very nice gentlemen. Only been shooting with them for a year and a half.  In that time they have provided me with a lot of knowledge, freely offered, learned from decades of experience. They are an hour and a half from me , the closest BP range on the list, but I look forward to trying out the rest when I retire in a couple more years !

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
shermo wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:26am:
I've got to second BoHo on the Wilton rod and gun club. Very professional bunch of guys, Also very nice gentlemen.

Everyone I met there fit that description, but esp. Paul Mathews, whom I met there for the first time, but whose books I'd been reading for years.  That was maybe 15 yrs ago, so I fear he's gone the way of all flesh by now.  A 2-hr drive for me, so I only went once merely to spectate; sheer good luck, I guess, that Paul happened to be there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint