Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Spotting Scope Tripod (Read 2458 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Spotting Scope Tripod
Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
The biggest problems with spotting scope tripods are they are too light and vibrate in the wind; or blow over in intense winds.

I purchased a Professional Classic Combi 25 Tripod designed for use with heavier camcorders and TV cameras with a head sturdy enough not to vibrate.
It also has a central fourth leg that helps stabilize it even more.

To stabilize it so it cannot vibrate and to lower the center of gravity so the surface area of the spotting scope will not allow it to blow over: I tape nine 1/2 pound lead bars around the feet.

What tripod have others found to be more stable and wind proof for use with your spotting scopes.

At first it was wobbly until I discovered whoever assembled it never tightened up the screws in the swivel mechanism in the head.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:03pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spotting Scope Tripod
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I use a 3/4 pipe clamp on the bench.  Not sure if I can find a picture of it. I used a conduit coupling to slide down over the pipe to mound the scope mount.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I also use a 3/4 inch pipe clamp to anchor my spotting scope on the bench.

However shooting BPCR there is no bench to anchor to.
And for BPCR I use a larger spotting scope which has more surface area.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:58pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Style pictured is very stable the center braces add a lot. It’s either a Bodgon or Manafotto depending on when it was made. Not all that expensive used off EBay. Think I sold that one for 100 bucks at a match.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Few more, all for a spotter not a shooter.  I still like the Freelands bipods  better for self spotting while in position. I do have a tripod bottom for my freelands & use it when it’s windy or a heavier spotting scope.  Willing to give up some stability to maintain consistent position most of the time.

On the right Unertl as furnished with their 100 mm spotter. Rock solid takes two to carry it. Center with the 63 mm Unertl is vintage Tiltall, about equal in quality to a Gitzo less expensive. Gitzo is the Caddy of vintage tripods. 

Far left a super light Bodgen with a video fluid head, scope is a tiny Leupold 50 mm 25x compact. It’s the outfit I use the most. Almost resolves as good as the others lot easier to carry and use. The fluid head is a big advantage. Scope stays in my shooting bag tripod small enough to strap on the outside. 

I have too many spotters

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:47pm:
I also use a 3/4 inch pipe clamp to anchor my spotting scope on the bench.

However shooting BPCR there is no bench to anchor to.
And for BPCR I use a larger spotting scope which has more surface area.

Oh yeah, that other game  Cheesy  I used a bipod with a couple photo heads rigged up so the scope would be right above my right eye when shooting backrest.  I could lean up a little to spot and watch the wind.   

When we were at Ottawa, Rich Beyer from NY kept asking me, "How do you do that?"   
"Do what?"
"Do half a sit up and watch through that scope!"  Grin

Those were the days.  Wish I could still do that  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
i was shooting BPCR and needed a tripod for my scope. after shooting in BOISE with that wind i started looking for tripods. I found one made by MAJESTIC on evilbay and bought it. they are no longer made but can be found. super heavy duty with verticle and horizontal adjusts   fwiw   dave

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:25pm:
Style pictured is very stable the center braces add a lot. It’s either a Bodgon or Manafotto depending on when it was made. Not all that expensive used off EBay. Think I sold that one for 100 bucks at a match.

Boats

I have a very similar camera tripod and it's very heavy too! It doesn't wiggle at all, even in very high winds. It also has a crank adjustment for a center shaft that's about 10"-12" long and it can be raised or lowered easily to change elevation.
I bought mine off Craigslist for $20.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
If you look at Mattifotos or Bodgens on EBay get a catalog on line, many variations don’t want to bid on the wrong one. It’s the extra center braces that make them steady. Many have damaged or bent braces. Don’t buy bent. Heads are interchangeable and replaceable. 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint