Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spotting Scope suggestions? (Read 2054 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

Spotting Scope suggestions?
Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
It is not that I am to lazy to look up old posts but things change. New models come out, old molds get made in China ....... So:

With my wife shooting her 204 Ruger regularily I have a good excuse to spend a little for a spotting scope that needs to see holes in the white and th black at 200 yards. SInce funds are not unlimited the Kowa's are out. I see alot of Celestron, Konus, etc. in the 80 to 100 mm objective sizes so:
1) Anything workable under $200
2) Or better value in the under $350 
3) Sources (opticsplanet, Natchez, ... )

Thank you,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spotting Scope suggestions?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Good luck with those little holes at 200 on black. They can be tricky at times with a Kowa.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:05am
Print Post  
I bought a Barska 30 to 90 x 100mm spotting scope from Walmart on line about 5 years ago. I can easily see .223 holes in the standard NRA 3 bulls eye target at 300 yards. I looked and they are now about $236 but when I bought mine it was $199. You mentioned a slight lack of funds so I thought this might do for you.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:11am
Print Post  
If using a Black Target staple a white garbage bag directly behind the target and it helps to see the bullet holes substantially. Even the best and most expensive spotting scopes out there do not make finding those little holes at 200yds. any easier to locate especially in the mirage. A white garbage bag behind a black target can save one allot of money without having to take out loan to purchase something that does not work any better than a good quality middle of the line priced spotting scope. Also by having a Red lens it too will be a big benefit to seeing those tiny little holes and also very typicaly used by most if not all when mirage is present.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:36am
Print Post  
oldracer wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:05am:
I bought a Barska 30 to 90 x 100mm spotting scope from Walmart on line about 5 years ago. I can easily see .223 holes in the standard NRA 3 bulls eye target at 300 yards. I looked and they are now about $236 but when I bought mine it was $199. You mentioned a slight lack of funds so I thought this might do for you.

What kind of conditions are you shooting in? 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:53am
Print Post  
1) The match rules she shoots under do not allow backers.

2) Our range is like Beason, swirly winds, mirage, faces north

GTalk  
IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
1) The match rules she shoots under do not allow backers.

2) Our range is like Beason, swirly winds, mirage, faces north, covered firing points. Targets are extremely glossy white  background with super glossy black. And no wind flags allowed.

3) As for budget, it is whatever she says it is. 

4) For reference the match director has the Leupold gold ring 60mm that gets close but $$

GTalk  
IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Our shooting conditions in San Diego at the South Bay Rod and Gun Club can very from bright sun with no wind to cloudy to foggy to rain to just about anything. Right now, clear, 99 degrees, wind in the afternoons. We have a weather area on our website so shooters can check before coming out as we are at about 1250 feet elevation so not at the coast but also not the mountains either. We don't get much if any mirage as the ground between 50, 100, 200 and 300 is not flat so wind moves at different velocities and directions?

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
celestron is best bang for the buck    95% of a kowa for one third the cost    art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I have and use believe it or not a Bushnell 10X30 Stalker I bought back in the 70's that sold for $200.00 at the time. Having looked through Kowas, Leica and others over the hears its pretty damn comparable as far as being able to see 25cal. bullet holes at 200yds. just as clearly. It's armoured in camo and really designed for hunting use and it is only 10 inches long with a 50MM objective. I keep trying to talk myself into needing something else but I just can't justify it it is really that nice and it and the stand both fit nicely into the zipped side pouch on my Brownels large multi compartment shooting bag and one of those best money ever spent items. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
If your money is short and your patience isn't it is best to shop around for a used Unertl or Kowa. They're out there at a reasonable price, remember glass lasts a long time and your eyes will age so shop for the best.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
oldracer wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:59am:
Our shooting conditions in San Diego at the South Bay Rod and Gun Club can very from bright sun with no wind to cloudy to foggy to rain to just about anything. Right now, clear, 99 degrees, wind in the afternoons. We have a weather area on our website so shooters can check before coming out as we are at about 1250 feet elevation so not at the coast but also not the mountains either. We don't get much if any mirage as the ground between 50, 100, 200 and 300 is not flat so wind moves at different velocities and directions?

Sounds like you have idea spotting conditions.  I could see a difference between Duane Jenner's top of the line Kowa and my plain Jane model at Tri County near Portland Oregon the day I shot my first 250.  It was early morning and a 7.5 mile per hour wind switching between 9 and 11. No mirage as I recall. 

bohemianway wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:59am:

Targets are extremely glossy white  background with super glossy black. And no wind flags allowed.

Those super glossy black targets will be your biggest challenge  Shocked

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
THat is a Quarter.

I have an old Celestron 100mm but it is nearly impossible to focus

GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
That target should be easy to spot hit or on those critters.  I was expecting a black glossy scoring ring target.   

I broke my 200 yr .22 winning streak last month shooting blind on a black target.  Cry  It doesn't take much change in light or conditions to hide those teeny itty bitty holes  Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint