Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 5744? (Read 10951 times)
waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

5744?
Jun 11th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
In the discussion of the burst low number 1903 receiver, there were multiple references made to problems or accidents with 5744 powder.  I know that 5744 is supposed to leave a lot of residue at low pressures, but have there been accidents?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 5744?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Yes, in fact a couple of them were discussed at length here. I'd tell you how to find 'em, but I can't ever locate stuff in a search.
The conclusions drawn are varied, from bad guns, double charges, barrel obstructions, case separation and whatever else. 
But, often, the powder in use is 5744. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it's enough to make me, already a conservative in most ways, stay shy of the stuff. Others will relate good service from that powder- just like the owner of those guns did until...............

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jun 11th, 2016 at 2:17pm:
Yes, in fact a couple of them were discussed at length here. I'd tell you how to find 'em, but I can't ever locate stuff in a search.
The conclusions drawn are varied, from bad guns, double charges, barrel obstructions, case separation and whatever else. 
But, often, the powder in use is 5744. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it's enough to make me, already a conservative in most ways, stay shy of the stuff. Others will relate good service from that powder- just like the owner of those guns did until...............

I whole heartedly agree with CF. I would hope that the powder manufator would look into this.

As I remember, one of the SS's was a relined, cast Ballard in 45/? but, I think the other was a high wall. The Ballard, you could make a case for failure but, not the HW.

My issue with 03's has always been the unsupported case head and the reason that I haven't felt the need to own one.

I also have Hatcher's book and have read about the failures but, like many others, I felt they would be ok with cast bullet loads. The 28 gr load or 5744 was a lot higher than I would have used in a cast '06 load though.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
5744 has become "THE" cast bullet powder for a lot of riflemen now that SR-4759 is no longer available.  Even before the demise of 4759, some people preferred it because it allegedly left fewer half burned kibbles in the bore after firing than 4759 (I never noticed this myself).

The fact that "so many" accidents are attributed to 5744 is probably an index of the fact that "so many" cast bullet rifle shooters are using it.  I've used a fair amount of 5744 and found that the only minuses are that it is expensive and not quite as accurate as 4759.  No flattened primers, pressure excursions or anything alarming has occurred.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod I agree there are way to many who jump to conclusions and seem to be experts not knowing all the real facts. Any powder that is now available will blow up a rifle if not used properly so should we rid of them all? If one does know what he has and it's limitations they shouldn't be using it and it has nothing to do with the manufacure looking into. If anyone here thinks they obtain more knowledge than the manufacture's team of experts they are simply a fool as they aren't producing Bubble Gum but explosives and its thier ass is on the line and not the arm chair expert who feels his knowledge is superior than thiers.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Try this Google search for this site  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Most of what I've heard involved 5744, and the fact it is a double base powder. A good number mention using wads with 5744 also, which seems to create some very bad pressure spikes if the wad gets out of place. 
I've never used it, and doubt I'll start with what I've read. They banned it or other double base powders at Quigley.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Some of our CB shooters at Clark Rifles have used and still use it.  I do not; it heated the barrels on my military rifles to the point that they were too hot to hold after a 10-round string.  To my mind that is just not right and a precursor to eventual problems.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 8:02am
Print Post  
I've gone through a couple pounds of 5744, it meters better than 4759, but I thought that the barrel heated up rather quickly also. We'll see how long 8 pounds of 4759 will last.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 8:17am
Print Post  
A long time ago i tried 5744. Did not like it in any of my single shots went back to 4759.
Have been away from shooting for a whipe did not know that 4759 was discontinued.
As some one said i have two 5 pounders that will,last me a long time.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Using wadding or filler with 5744 is a dangerous Idea the manufacturer warns against it. The powder when held back with a wad, filler or both develops dangerous pressures. it is a pretty good powder in large cases when used loose. it's one drawback is that is shoots dirty.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
At least for the 38-55, 4227  works very well  as the backup to 4759, and no need for 5744. I feel for the larger bore shooters with the demise of 4759, sure was great in the 45-70.........

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
shot a lot of it in my sporter-weight Miroku 45-70' fairly heavy loads with 500 gr cast bullets.  no problems other than aching shoulders.   it burned a bit dirty, especially with breech-seated bullets, with fixed ammo not so much.  still have maybe 5 or 7 lbs of it, and no qualms about using it again in my big bore cases.

If I'm correct it was a mil-surp high-volume relatively low energy/density propellent originally designed for 50 BMG, large case, heavy jacketed bullets---at full auto.  not sure why one would choose it for '06/'03 cased ammo.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Probably read it was a good load on the internet.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Salvo
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I have never seen a recommendation to use fillers etc. with AA5744 - which is precisely why I prefer to use it. I have also heard nothing about gymnastics like pointing the rifle skyward prior to shooting with it, so I do not do that either.

It sounds to me like a few shooters decided to treat 5744 like they have done with other powders popular for reduced loads, and promptly created a pressure spike for themselves by doing so.

Accurate Arms and Speer, my sources for AA5744 loads, do not say anything about using fillers.

It all comes down to reading and following specific directions from reliable sources, to the letter. - Nothing added or omitted. By following this rule, I have managed so far to stay out of trouble.

So, some shooters made a mistake... I hope nobody got hurt. The only really irreplaceable part of any firearm - is the nut behind the trigger.

Reduced loads in my Miroku 1885 in 270 WSM (130 grain bullet reduced loads listed in the Speer manual) produced five-shot groups at 100 yards as small as .317". - That is accurate enough for me!

I never noticed a barrel heating problem, but then again I tended to wait a minute or two between shots.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2016 at 9:07pm by Salvo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint